Comic Books?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:23 pm

Hah DC has made me jump ship from them already this may be stupid but i am in no way crawling back to them after erasing my favourite superhero and regressing several other ones i love.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:33 pm

They're making a comeback. I'm, really enjoying the new Starfire ongoing series. Which more than makes up for the abysmal way she was treated in Red Hood and the Outlaws.

I haven't read Omega Men yet. But I really want to given all the hype around it.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:46 pm

Look the things they have done to certain characters i loved reading about and the constant price raises on comics (marvel is guilty of this too which is why i have stopped reading single issues and buy collected, tend to just get the singles for free) means that the only thing that could bring me back to them now is some form of continuation to the teen titans animated universe in comic form.

Seriously i would buy that shit day 1 but its never going to happen, and if it did i imagine i would end up dissapointed as they would probably push the bbxraven thing something i to this day will never get because i dont see the evidence (and i pay attention to that stuff more than most people) and only see that stuff in go as pandering to the shippers, or they would somehow mess up the subtle and unique (non-romantic) relationship raven and robin have, there is a reason those two are my favourite characters in that series.

I went off on a TT tangent, sorry about that.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:55 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:This is stupid.
Seriously can MJ and Peter just get back together already?

Is this one of those changes that's going to take place after Secret Wars?

I might still read Marvel but it really depends on how they treat the X-Men, as their singular horse in the race of universes that is Secret Wars seems to have crashed, so to speak, and what remains is a bunch of alternate realities none of which are particularly intriguing.

I might just stick to Vertigo stuff from now on, at least their comics are interesting and self-contained.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:58 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Is this one of those changes that's going to take place after Secret Wars?

Yes sadly.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:16 pm

FUCKING WHY!?

They should have just let Aunt May die: it would have been a compelling and awesome character growth for Peter Parker, from grieving, to accepting, and moving on, and been a great way to time to send off Aunt May: she's a great character, but that was a dumb move to pull, and they've been screwing up on it ever since.

I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE GIVING US GWENPOOL, MARVEL! YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID!!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:40 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:I DON'T CARE IF YOU'RE GIVING US GWENPOOL, MARVEL! YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DID!!

This is a thing?
OK marvel there is such a thing as milking something too much, spider-gwen was an awesome idea because she is her own character with her own universe and her own motivations and none of it feels like a repeat of things we saw in spiderman, gwenpool might as well just be lady deadpool brought back from the dead.

Also just a hunch but all that character development from the last couple issues of deadpool is going to be erased post secret wars inst it?

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:11 am

^Look upon Gwenpool, ye mighty, and tremble.

Yeah, a lot of titles and existing characterization are going to get shut down because of Secret Wars. Uncanny Avengers is an example that I'm most well-acquainted with, as they'd formed a whole new team, and introduced some new antagonists as well as a cliffhanger in the disappearance of Wonder Man but none of those plot threads will be pursued because of Secret Wars wiping everything out.

And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:17 am

^ Yeah this is a dumb as i thought it would be, i'll stick to spider-gwen thanks.

Oh god I forgot to keep up with ms. marvel since secret wars started, that plot thread they teased in her last normal issue better not be dropped, that seemed like it could go somewhere interesting.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:56 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:and my decision to jump ship and defect to manga was entirely justified.

FTFY.

Shit reboots on the one hand, shit stories on the other. Fuck Marvel and DC both.

Yes, I know both put out decent work on occasion, and yes, I know there's plenty of shit manga out there, but even so I stand by my decision. At least with Dragonball or whatever I know what I'm getting into, and won't have to deal with some shithead retconning everything I enjoy out of existence because he's going through a nasty divorce.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:03 pm

You could always try Image Comics out. They have a few ongoing interconnected superhero series but most of their works are self contained.

But I stand by my decision to switch to DC. A lot of their works have actually been pretty good lately. Significant flops like the new 52 notwithstanding.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:11 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:You could always try Image Comics out. They have a few ongoing interconnected superhero series but most of their works are self contained.

I was there when Image Comics was created, son. I've seen them at their worst, and I've seen them at their best, and even at their best they'll never give me something as simple as Koe no Katachi. They do supers work. Sometimes they do fine supers work, but it's always supers work. Manga gives me a medium, not a genre, and that's why I appreciate it. But more importantly, it give me stories instead of freakin' soap operas. And these days, that's what I wanna read.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:17 pm

The Image of today is A LOT different than the Image of the 1990s and almost unrecognisable. I don't intend to come off as condescending or anything but Image these days are doing phenomenal work, things you should probably look into. Their superhero output has been almost non-existent the past decade compared to everything else they do; which is releasing some of the most critically acclaimed comics in the world, e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_Comics#Current_ongoing_series
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:32 pm

Take a deep breath and imagine a beautiful world where Chuckman is EIC at DC and/or Marvel. That's what I do instead of buying comics.

Edit: My first act would be to personally pen an epic 24 issue miniseries where literally every major Marvel character is Gwen Stacy and they have to alter the past so that 616 Gwen dies or the multiverse will collapse.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:02 am

I've been loving DC recently post-Convergence, but I just found out that Omega Men and Justice League United - my two favourites from the publisher alongside Snyder's Batman - have been canned, and won't be getting their promised full 12 issue runs.

Fuck you, DiDio. Fuck you so much.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:27 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote: Omega Men.

What nooooooooooooo.

Sometimes I really wonder whether it would be better if Chuckman was in charge of both DC and Marvel...

And I'm nothing like you

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot

Postby movieartman » Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:53 pm

Martian Manhunter continues to be awesome.

The more I read & see about Squadron Supreme after Secret Wars, the more I'm thinking I'm gonna buy it.
SQUADRON SUPREME #1 & 2
They're each the sole survivor of a lost Earth and they'll do anything to protect this one, whether you like it or not. The Squadron Supreme -- comprising Hyperion (Avengers), Nighthawk (Supreme Power), Dr. Spectrum (the Great Society), Blur (DP7) and Power Princess -- are a team that doesn't ask permission or what the rules are. To them all that matters is the safety of Earth and if you stand in the way...that's your problem! Tell that to the Squadron's first target -- Namor, destroyer of Dr. Spectrum's homeworld, who will have to pay for his crimes...but at what cost to the people of Atlantis.
32 PGS. (each)/Rated T+ ...$3.99 (each)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:10 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I've been loving DC recently post-Convergence, but I just found out that Omega Men and Justice League United - my two favourites from the publisher alongside Snyder's Batman - have been canned, and won't be getting their promised full 12 issue runs.

Fuck you, DiDio. Fuck you so much.

At least he's not Quesada.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Bill Finger will be given official recognition in Batman vs. Superman and Gotham. This isn't news about any specific comic but it's huge industry news. Unfortunately the Kane estate will not permit him to be listed as a creator still, even though Finger essentially created the character. Kane's contribution was a guy in a bat costume, the story came from Finger.

Any of you who read my fanfics will notice that I always credited Batman as "Created by Bob Kane and Bill Finger".
Last edited by Chuckman on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:04 pm

Truly an under-appreciated figure. Without him, Batman would have looked like this:
SPOILER: Show
instead of this:

And did you mean to type "fanfics" or have you actually written comics?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”