A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:38 pm

I still won't believe it until Slash Film or some of the other trusted movie news sites pick up on the story.

Though I will submit that, even if M. Night does indeed make an Airbender 2, that he might have to recast the lead characters. The actress who played Katara grew up to become the sex-object character in Micheal Bay's Transformers 4 movie. And age has also creeped up on the rest of the cast. Do you really expect the boy who played Aang to still look as young as he should be? We're either gonna have a cast who's WAY older than they was in the first film, or we're gonna have faces that don't quite match the faces we saw in Airbender 1.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:51 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Though I will submit that, even if M. Night does indeed make an Airbender 2, that he might have to recast the lead characters. The actress who played Katara grew up to become the sex-object character in Micheal Bay's Transformers 4 movie. And age has also creeped up on the rest of the cast. Do you really expect the boy who played Aang to still look as young as he should be? We're either gonna have a cast who's WAY older than they was in the first film, or we're gonna have faces that don't quite match the faces we saw in Airbender 1.

No loss.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:04 am

^ Agreed. Though I do feel sorry for the poor young saps in Airbender. Being cast in an M. Night film's gotta suck as far as PR goes, so much so that after watching the movie I was kind of rooting for their careers to take off regardless of the quality of the film. Their first big gig, as it were, and the most impressive thing any of them has done after that was be casted in a discussion about "not statutory rape" clauses in Texas. I was hoping for a little more for her career than just that.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:34 am

Shyamalan can say he's gonna do whatever he wants but that doesn't mean it's actually going to happen.

The guy released two massive disasters for two major studios back to back - The Last Airbender & After Earth, Will Smith's first financial bust in the blockbuster field - & is now doing cheapie found footage movies for Jason Blum (the producer of the Paranormal Activity films & other found footage entries). His movie after The Visit may star Joaquin Phoenix but it's another cheapie flick for Jason Blum. Even M. Night's "franchise" The Night Chronicles stalled with the first entry, Devil. Shyamalan got to keep making movies because even though his films got progressively worse, before Last Airbender all his features aside from The Lady in the Water were all money makers. The man hasn't had a real box office success in over a decade with his last real hit being The Village (The Happening did okay but nothing remarkable) & money is what gets things made in Hollyweird.

M. Night Shyamalan needs to start showing serious capital reinvestment OR deliver another phenomenon like The Sixth Sense before any studio gives him $150+ million to make another Last Airbender movie.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:01 am

^Yeah, after the disastrous first Airbender movie I'm hoping that Nickolodeon or whoever holds the rights to Avatar knows well enough to just close the door in Shymalan's face if he comes asking for a sequel.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:56 pm

Well Fornicate me blind.

And it's from a relatively reliable source.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/09/exclusive-m-night-shyamalan-to-make-another-thriller-before-the-last-airbender-2-5381979/

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:15 pm

Implying he will actually get the funding to make another last airbender movie.

Also if he touches korra im done.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:17 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Well Fornicate me blind.

And it's from a relatively reliable source.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/09/09/exclusive-m-night-shyamalan-to-make-another-thriller-before-the-last-airbender-2-5381979/

Well, at least it looks like he's making a movie that doesn't suck for a change.

Still don't want him anywhere near an Avatar movie. Or, well, anything else that isn't his own. He can shit in his own pond all he likes, but leave the rest of us out of it.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:49 pm

Wait what? Shymalans airbender 2 is still a thing? Well I suppose if Bay can do it with transformers 5 times anything is possible. Maybe we'll see another dragonball evolution movie while were at it.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:24 am

I can't believe someone, somewhere actually thinks that letting M. Night get his grubby urchin paws on the Avatar franchise again would be a good idea.

And I'm nothing like you

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Keep in mind that TLA is years older now, and the fanbase is much bigger (due to LOK.) Shayamalan's new Airbender (if he makes it) is probably going to be much less likely to cloud people's opinions on the series with all the new fans out there to say, "Your movie sucks and the source material is better." It'll be a shame for another bad movie to come out, yes, but I doubt it'll have any real impact on the series itself.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:54 pm

http://www.hypable.com/m-night-shyamalan-plans-last-airbender-2/

It's happening. It's actually happening.

This can't be happening. This is like a bad Freddy Krueger dream! Hell, not even Freddy Krueger would be enough of an a-hole to do this! Wake me up dammit! Wake me up! :headdesk:

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:05 pm

Time to send a cyborg assassin back into the past to destroy this film franchise before it ever starts...

And I'm nothing like you

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:16 pm

Best case scenario I can see for this is a soft reboot/sequel-boot. Where he gets an almost entirely new cast, and the characters acknowledge that what happened in the last movie happened. Or at least a different version of what happened in the last movie happened. But if Shyamalan decides to direct, he's going to face a hell of a lot of pushback from the audience and the fans. The audience might tolerate him as a producer but if Shyamalan decides to direct again, he'll get nothing but negative reception and the movie will definitely flop.

Not that doing this would make the movie any good but it would make it 'less bad' than the last movie. When your starting with the bottom of the barrel, the only way out is up. I'd rather have there be no movie at all. But if he does get this piece of crap off the ground, I'm hoping for a slap on the face rather than a repeat of the killing blow to the potential of a great franchise that was Shyamalan's first movie.

He better learn from his mistakes, especially when it comes to the cast, specifically Sokka and Katara who are clearly meant to be darkskinned. But knowing him he'll probably bring back Nicola Nepotism Peltz. What litttle credibility he's managed to get back with Wayward pines is going right back into the crapper if he decides to produce this. A bad foundation a bad building makes.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:05 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:
He better learn from his mistakes, especially when it comes to the cast, specifically Sokka and Katara who are clearly meant to be darkskinned. But knowing him he'll probably bring back Nicola Nepotism Peltz. What litttle credibility he's managed to get back with Wayward pines is going right back into the crapper if he decides to produce this. A bad foundation a bad building makes.

Well the last I heard of it in regards to Shyamalan aknowledging his mistakes, he was blaming the failure of last airbender on transformers fanboys. Nothing can possibly go wrong here!

Yes one does not often aknowledge the mistakes of youth! Especially if one is named Shyamalan.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:37 pm

Shyamalan's The Visit is a good movie. It also did well at the box office.

But it's going to be another couple of years before any Hollywood studio gives him $150 million to make a blockbuster again. And The Last Airbender 2 is never going to be the film that he's allowed to return to massive filmmaking with.

It wasn't enough of a financial hit to bypass vitriolic reviews like the Transformers series has. Plus the franchise has moved on in terms of being what's popular. The Avatar franchise is still around & a big deal in the geek community but I don't know if it has the public awareness is there anymore to make a movie adaptation an attractive proposition. It's why a live action Neon Genesis Evangelion film (thankfully) still hasn't happened. It's big among the geek community but outside of Japan the general populace can't tell you the difference between a Rei or an Asuka & that's not an attractive draw to studios when they need to spend $300 million to produce & market a blockbuster & need to draw in north of $500 million just to start making a profit.

No one is going to finance a Last Airbender 2 unless M. Night is going to make it a small scale affair with a budget under $30 million. Maybe do a stand alone story in the greater universe with "Seven Samurai" story with benders.

This is just more a case of a filmmaker refusing to publicly admit failure. It's far easier on Shyamalan to say in public "Yeah, I'm going to do the sequel" then admit "I fucked up".

It won't happen. So chill. Only a handful of filmmakers on the planet can will a movie into existence. If David Fincher isn't one of them (three of his recent projects have been canned) then M. Night Shyamalan sure isn't one of them.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:11 pm

Michael DiMartino, Janet Varney (voice of Korra), and I are all very excited to be doing a discussion/signing at the Barnes & Noble in The Grove, Los Angeles, next Tuesday, September 29, at 7pm, for the release of The Legend of Korra, Book Four: The Art of the Animated Series and Avatar: The Last Airbender, Smoke and Shadow, Part One. We did a signing there a few years ago and it was a lot of fun. I hope to see you there! Thanks to Dark Horse and Barnes & Nobel for hosting the event. There will be wristbands to get in (and possibly purchase requirements?) so be sure to check out the event page:

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:05 pm

Oh, cool. That's my hometown. (Pity I'm not living there at the moment.)

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Sep 27, 2015 10:36 am

Remember when he was just "planning" this? well he's actually going through with it now:
[url]http://www.vcpost.com/articles/86253/20150823/avatar-last-airbender-2-updates-director-m-night-shyamalan-defends-first-film-ready-sequel.htm[/url]
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:17 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Remember when he was just "planning" this? well he's actually going through with it now:
[url]http://www.vcpost.com/articles/86253/20150823/avatar-last-airbender-2-updates-director-m-night-shyamalan-defends-first-film-ready-sequel.htm[/url]

From the article posted:
According to Den of Geek, Shyamalan planned to push through with a sequel as evidenced by the introduction of Prince Zuko's sister, Azula, at the end of the first film. It was going to be a trilogy. However, despite previous news that he had already penned a first draft for the follow-up, no updates have come up since then. It is also uncertain if development for this would push through some time in the future.

So, it looks like this movie's trying to get Development Hell.

Return to “Film and Video”