[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:08 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But IANAL...

Worst acronym ever.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:06 am

But reminiscent of what lawyers typically do to people...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:21 am

Had they taken this to trial the prosecution certainly could have requested the judge to rule pre-trial that the children would not be sufficiently credible witnesses for the severity of this case and thus barred both sides from calling them, forcing the case to be made purely on physical evidence and statements from the adults involved. The defendant has the right to face his accuser certainly, but that should be the mother.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:05 pm

Yeah: there were a lot of ways they could have prosecuted this case. This was pretty much a failure on the part of the prosecution.

I have noticed, however, that there's a tendency to drop rape cases across the board: they're difficult to try, and the nature of the rules and laws in place make presenting evidence and building a case more difficult. This one, though...this was practically open and shut.

I have no clue how they could have screwed this up, unless something was done in the arrest process which the prosecution knew would allow for acquittal (like a violation of rights, or something). Even then, just dropping the case altogether seems WAY too lenient.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:50 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Had they taken this to trial the prosecution certainly could have requested the judge to rule pre-trial that the children would not be sufficiently credible witnesses for the severity of this case and thus barred both sides from calling them, forcing the case to be made purely on physical evidence and statements from the adults involved. The defendant has the right to face his accuser certainly, but that should be the mother.

The prosecution can request that, but there's no guarantee the judge would grant the request. And that's assuming the mother even wants to proceed with a trial -- this plea bargain might easily be the result of the fact that she doesn't.

Of course, that doesn't mean the case wasn't bungled somehow; it might have been. I'm just leery of assuming that in the absence of more information.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:32 pm

Denali is once more known as Denali. Praise be to Denali, and all that Denali surveys.

Denali.

Also, Ohioans are pissed about something, but I doubt it's important.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:54 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:39 pm

This is the dumbest thing i have read all day
Whoever made this decision obviously doesn't understand the difference between transgender and transtrender.
Last edited by Rosenakahara on Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:43 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:49 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:This is the dumbest thing i have read all day
Whoever made this decision obviously doesn't understand the difference been transgender and transtrender.

As usual, it's an overblown story -- and people discussing alternate pronouns has been a thing for decades before I was at university.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:05 pm

I'm a fairly progressive person but I'm not doing that zeee shit.

English already has a gender neutral pronoun, use that. Making up new words all the time makes you look like an asshole, unless you're Chuckman, then it's perfectilicious.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:10 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:This is the dumbest thing i have read all day
Whoever made this decision obviously doesn't understand the difference been transgender and transtrender.

This is the start of Newspeak.

Pronouncrime. Doubleplus Ungood.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:33 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:This is the start of Newspeak.

Pronouncrime. Doubleplus Ungood.

Meh. As drinian noted it's a bit overblown. This has been a thing for decades now.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:00 pm

Kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, considering that a supermajority (statistically) of students at university identify with gender-specific pronouns. Removing those pronouns and forcing students to use pronouns that they do not identify with seems like the exact opposite thing the university is trying to promote.

The university did state on their site that there is not a formal rule in place, which is good-- however, encouragement of this policy seems to be a bad idea, regardless of whether or not the policy is on the books. For example, my university did its diversity program a few days ago-- everybody in the session was asked which pronouns they felt comfortable using. A whopping 93% of us chose "he" and "she pronouns, with only the remaining 7% of the students opting for "they" pronouns.

Encouraging people to use gender-neutral pronouns for everybody regardless of whether or not they identify with gendered pronouns seems to ultimately cause more problems than it solves.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:07 pm

Heh. Someone needs to claim racial slurs as their personal pronouns to put Tumblr into a perpetual tail spin.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:00 pm

I'll just leave this here...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11851589/Woman-discovers-boyfriend-of-two-years-is-woman-when-she-removes-blindfold-during-sex.html

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:49 pm

"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:22 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Kind of throwing the baby out with the bathwater, considering that a supermajority (statistically) of students at university identify with gender-specific pronouns. Removing those pronouns and forcing students to use pronouns that they do not identify with seems like the exact opposite thing the university is trying to promote.

The university did state on their site that there is not a formal rule in place, which is good-- however, encouragement of this policy seems to be a bad idea, regardless of whether or not the policy is on the books. For example, my university did its diversity program a few days ago-- everybody in the session was asked which pronouns they felt comfortable using. A whopping 93% of us chose "he" and "she pronouns, with only the remaining 7% of the students opting for "they" pronouns.

Encouraging people to use gender-neutral pronouns for everybody regardless of whether or not they identify with gendered pronouns seems to ultimately cause more problems than it solves.

Yeah, when they are doing that, what they are doing is entirely fine.

So, does my blanket statement refer to:
A) The university's policy.
B) The students' general behaviour.
C) A student's personal choice of pronoun.
D) Two of the above.
E) All of the above.

Results in in 10 minutes, and if your answer is D) or E), do not forget to use the pronoun "We" instead of "I" to reflect your multiple-mindedness.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Stupid is as stupid; I'M ON A TRAIN! BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:25 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote: obviously doesn't understand the difference between transgender and transtrender.

That's like a train thing, right? Or maybe that's a trans-tender... trains are so much better than people.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'll just leave this here...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11851589/Woman-discovers-boyfriend-of-two-years-is-woman-when-she-removes-blindfold-during-sex.html

And here we have our next Hollywood Romcom!

By that I mean: the story gets stupider as you read it. What a Kizh.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Stupid is as stupid; I'M ON A TRAIN! BP

Postby Ornette » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:06 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:And here we have our next Hollywood Romcom!

Boys Don't Cry.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”