Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:01 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Did you try taking a screen shot of your whole computer screen while pausing the player? That might get the image from the disc you need.

Yup! I tried that and it doesn't work. It just copies pure black for the area where the player is. I think it's because of whatever copy protection Blu-rays have, because I was able to take a screencapture from a ripped copy of Disc 7 (EoE disc in the set). So I may just need to rip the whole disc and then screencap from that. It just seemed like such a roundabout way of doing it, and I was hoping there was an easier way.

I just moved back to Windows land after being a Mac user for 10 years.

And I've seen some other people hypothesize on some other boards that they used DNR and then added a more uniform 'grain' layer so as to make it seem like they didn't apply DNR and also to fix any banding issues that arose from smoothing out the original grain. I don't know though. When they mentioned that I thought they were crazy until I came across that scene where there was different grain types in the same frame. There was grain I would normally expect from a 16mm source (slight color variation, chunkier) and then there was really nice uniform clean grain.

I hope to figure out how to screencap soon so I can more clearly articulate what I'm seeing.
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:20 pm

shinhito: Maybe a program like Gadwin Printscreen can circumvent the issue? I can't test this since I don't have a BD drive, but might be worth an installation just to see.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

squall.leonhart
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby squall.leonhart » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:08 am

Shinhito: I used MPC-HC. You can pause the image on the screen, go to File>Save Image and save it as PNG (don't use shitty JPEG if you want to compare quality). You do need to have decryption software installed, but a program like AnyDVD HD runs in the background and decrypts on the fly. You won't be able to take screenshots without using a decryptor since, to conform to HDCP, software players must provide a direct path to the monitor. That means, using Video Overlay.

EDIT: MPC-HC can play Blu-ray MPLS files. Just drag the file into the player and the subsequent title will play.

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:52 am

Thanks for your help with ideas on how to screencap! What ended up working was installing AnyDVD and then VLC would easily read it then and I could use Print Screen and then throw it into Photoshop from there!

So I'm going to post a couple of examples from Episode 14 of Unit-00 going berserk. What I am talking about is the fact that around the bluest parts of Unit-00 the grain is much chunkier, but it's not uniform it's much more clumpier than usual film grain is. And then in the same frame there is nice uniform grain for example on the white parts of Unit-00's arm and uniform grain on the background. I would say that this is just how the film was developed but in the next few cuts back to Misato, Ritsuko, et al there is barely any grain at all.

Now take a look at this screencap. The bright blue of Unit-00's palm is a nice near-solid blue, but around the edges to the adjacent coloring the clumpy grain starts to show up. This to me is the telltale signs of DNR because usually the DNR algorithms can have a tough time telling the difference between what is grain and what is image around detailed parts of the image.

Here's another shot. Just look at the difference in grain between the blue and the sort of green/beige 'face' of Unit-00.

Now I have one more comparison to show. I screencapped the same scene from Episode 5 that appears in Death (This is the first release of Death found on Disc 6 of the set, not Death(true)2 on Disc 8). Now I know a little more grain is going to be introduced when you take a 16mm production meant for a 4:3 aspect ratio and you crop into 16:9 (or whatever widescreen ratio Death and Rebirth was released in) but this is the kind of grain I would normally expect from a 16mm anime production from the mid-90s. In fact the grain found in Death during the clips that were originally produced for the TV series even has a similar grain profile to other anime of the time, like Sailor Moon or DBZ.

Now look at the same frame from Episode 5 on the Blu-ray Disc 1...

Ignoring the overall color balance you can see that there is grain, sort of, but it is much 'cleaner' and the grain is a uniform color. In color film negatives the grain is made up of millions of tiny dye crystals that have subtle variations in coloring as you can easily see in the screenshot from Death but is scrubbed and washed in the Episode 5 and replaced with a suspiciously uniform and 'colorless' grain. Not to mention there is some more detail in the towel Rei is lying on in the Death screenshot that is slightly blurred away with the grain in the Episode 5 shot.

I can post some more examples but I am pretty positive now that they used a DNR process and then added a much smaller digital 'grain'. I still think the whole set technically looks great and that the DNR looks pretty good and subtle in most instances, but since I'm a bit of a pure-ist I wish they could have left the grain completely intact.
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:44 am

It's here! :woohoo:

SPOILER: Show

I'm at workplace right now so further unboxing will have to wait for me getting home.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:52 am

shinhito, that's not DNR abuse.

With the Eva-00 shots you have non-uniform grain only in areas of very high contrast. When you have that it's perfectly natural to see some light bleed over to the darker colors from the lighter ones. Different cuts (the following Misato shot), whether they follow eachother or not shouldn't be used to compare stuff because you never know when they have been photographed and can't guarantee same film stock/setting/photographer. Stuff usually gets done in whatever order it's ready, not in what order it comes in the show.
Also different colors will always have different grain patterns. Lighter ones are always cleaner. Darker ones usually grainier. If you look up the Dancouga blu-rays, which are a completely dirty and untouched 16mm scan complete with all the artifacts including film splicing you'll see the same exact grain variation across colors. Same with SDF Macross, which was cleaned up a tiny bit but still a grainy mess.

With the Death shots that's not 16mm film being cropped. That's 16mm film being rephotographed to 35mm film introducing a boatload of crap in the process. Going back and rephotographing all the cells is too labor-intensive.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:57 am

shinhito, what TMBounty_Hunter said. Also, blues and greens tend to photograph cleaner than warmer, more red colors. In film, blue photographs the cleanest, whereas in digital video, green photographs the cleanest, (hence the use of green-screens and blue-screens) but both photograph fairly well using either technology regardless. As soon as you hit those warmer colors, though, things get less clean and start to look more grainy. Neither film nor digital has been able to capture as wide a range of red pigments as many photographers would like. (This is why we generally don't see any red-screen trick photography, and why the reds in the officially licensed, poorly compressed release of the Eva Q Blu-ray in Mexico look terrible.)

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:13 pm

Got a text from DHL while I was at work, saying my order will be delivered to me tomorrow. Amazon still says it'll be arriving on Monday. Still going to be keeping an eye on the front door tomorrow just in case, but I'm choosing to be cautiously skeptic about that text.

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:06 am

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Got a text from DHL while I was at work, saying my order will be delivered to me tomorrow. Amazon still says it'll be arriving on Monday. Still going to be keeping an eye on the front door tomorrow just in case, but I'm choosing to be cautiously skeptic about that text.

DHL was more accurate with their tracking than Amazon was in my case. Amazon constantly said my package would be delivered Monday while DHL said the Friday before and it was correct!

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:24 pm

Yeah, turns out DHL was more accurate in the end. Getting my Blu-rays three days earlier than estimated definitely put me in a good mood today. Did a little video where I talk about the packaging and booklets. It can be seen here if anyone's interested.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:04 am

Amazon tend to be conservative about delivery dates -- my copy was listed as expected on Tuesday; but was waiting for me when I got home yesterday. A previous purchase they listed as expected 1st Sept, even after it cleared customs on the 22nd of August (and arrived the 26th).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:33 am

I've twice had texts from Amazon which claim to have delivered a parcel when the building was closed. Followed the next day by a text saying it was out for delivery. In other words, Yodel (the company they use for delivery in the UK) have drivers who lie.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:10 am

Yodel is a disgrace -- though I have had the good fortune to have rarely had items sent using them.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Stevenbob
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Stevenbob » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:15 pm

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Yeah, turns out DHL was more accurate in the end. Getting my Blu-rays three days earlier than estimated definitely put me in a good mood today. Did a little video where I talk about the packaging and booklets. It can be seen here if anyone's interested.

>vertical filming
kimochi warui
obligatory signature is obligatory

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:43 pm

I just got the disc set. THESE. BLU-RAYS. ARE. SO. SEXY!!!

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:29 pm

I think I might have a plausible technical reason that the "Reiquarium" isn't in the Blu-ray version of 23'. If the extra images were composited for the VHS/LD release's master tape using a video-based editing system, then no 16mm film copy of the finished product would have been created. And were it to exist only via a standard-def video master, then it wouldn't be possible to remaster it for either the 2003 Renewal DVDs or the Blu-ray box.

Of course the other possibility is that Anno decided to revert back to the way the scene originally was for creative reasons, but without a definitive statement from Anno it's all just speculation.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:53 pm

They included a bunch of clean Reiquarium images in the 01 Test-Type disc's Full OP, so that suggests they could have included them in Renewal 23' but chose not to.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Sat Sep 05, 2015 10:40 pm

View Original PostStevenbob wrote:>vertical filming
kimochi warui

Yeeeaaaah, I kinda forgot that holding my phone that way produces that kind of video. Holding my phone sideways for any reason is just not instinctual to me. And I wasn't about to film it all again once I realized, so we're all just going to have to put up with it as it is.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:43 am

Just finished skimming through all of the discs. I've also been taking screenshots of whatever tickles my fancy. The TV series look pretty darned good for being a 16mm film scanned for 1080p. I especially love the more vivid colors of the Blu-rays. The colors really pop out a bit more than they did in the Renewal DVDs.

DEM MOVIES, THO.

EoE is probably the best looking animation Blu-ray I've bought in a while. Heck, even both versions of Death look good! Especially the reanimated scenes with Rei. From viewing both these films in HD, I've begun to appreciate the fully realized theatrically rendered 90's Rei, and how striking-yet-delicate that character design is. It's certainly lost in much of the TV animation. (Heck, I don't even think the new theatrical films realized it as well as the new Death scenes and EoE did.)

Dougurasu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dougurasu » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Is there already anyone who has taken the liberty of combining and editing subtitle files to suit the blurays so we can just add those in our bluray applications? :)

And if not are there people who just have subtitle files of the episodes and films lying around? (Not expecting the extra's will be translated, but there's hoping :p)

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”