Resident Evil

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:49 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Fuck no. The main reason I stayed away from the old RE games is the shitty controls. Same reason I dropped Onimusha pretty quickly. They can keep the fixed camera but dear god, send the tank controls to hell where they belong. They were shitty then and they're shitty now.

Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

To me, and I know I'm not alone here, the old controls are as much a part of Resident Evil as S.T.A.R.S., Raccoon City, only being able to carry so many items, and watching doors open. 0 - CV have a certain style, that the controls are a part of, that mean a lot to a lot of people, and I think if you're going to remake one you've gotta go all the way.

I admit they might be awkward or whatever but one can get used to them in a couple minutes, which then translates into hours of playing five wonderful games. And if they were as bad as everybody says they are then 5.5 games(plus Dino Crisis) probably wouldn't have been made with them and sold well and been fan favorites. But that's just, like, my opinion.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:57 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:To me, and I know I'm not alone here, the old controls are as much a part of Resident Evil as S.T.A.R.S., Raccoon City, only being able to carry so many items, and watching doors open. 0 - CV have a certain style, that the controls are a part of, that mean a lot to a lot of people, and I think if you're going to remake one you've gotta go all the way.

Ab-so-lutely. As I have mentioned many times on the forum, I have played and re-played REmake and RE0 to death. Even when REmaster added the option of camera-relative controls, I found myself going right back to character-relative because the new alternative neither looked nor felt right. The game was not designed for it and it showed. As many an aficionado will tell you, a big part of what makes a horror game work is clunky controls. They're clunky on purpose.

All of that said, I'd be just as comfortable leaving the past in the past if Capcom can come up with something suitable to replace it. I know better than to think that just doing everything as it was before is best; I wanted RE6 to play just like RE5, went through a period of hating it for being different, then fell in love with it all over again and now prefer its gameplay (speaking primarily about The Mercenaries).
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:27 pm

The tank controls are perfect for the Resident Evil series. They let you know right away that you are playing a slow-paced Survival-Horror game and not SHEWTOAR #97954673. Those older RE games were legitimately scary specifically because they didn't control like modern games. RE games after 3 weren't really scary, they just relied on the gross-out effect (which is true with most modern horror as well).
[Redacted]

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:33 pm

Resident evil 4 for the most part wasn't scary, i don't even think it was meant to be as it was basically a B-movie (but that's part of the reason why a lot of people including me love it), you cant deny the regenerators were terrifying though.
Seriously those things gave me nightmares.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:39 pm

The Regenerators were pretty much the only scary thing in RE4. Seriously, that damn breathing sound they make! I always used maximum firepower on them.
[Redacted]

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:20 pm

Well, Resident 4 was the first of the games I played and it scared the hell out of me, mostly because I jumped to it straight from Mario games...

On the side, I really hope we get a remake worthy of Resident Evil 2.
I play mostly for the story, so the game mechanics are not a big issue to me...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:42 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Well, Resident 4 was the first of the games I played and it scared the hell out of me, mostly because I jumped to it straight from Mario games...

The original Resident Evil, back in its day, was the scariest game I'd ever played, and it had such an impact on my little mind (I was 10) that I would go to bed with the lights on. I was so scared of those zombies.

I played the game much more recently (within the past few years) and only then did I finally experience it the way everyone else had who'd been laughing about it for years. :lol:
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:10 pm

Same, except I was about five when I got started. -o-; I guess that's why I've never particularly bemoaned the tank controls. I took to it like a young child takes to learning how to read.

However, I was ten by the time REmake came around, and those Crimson Heads absolutely haunted my nightmares. I was still just a little kid, yet I already fancied myself a Resident Evil veteran. Then the zombies stopped staying dead, and I began to realize how little I knew. Doesn't help that I was too dumb/impatient to burn the bodies back then.

It's also worth noting that REmake was the very first game I got for my Gamecube, and before that I did MOST of my gaming on a Nintendo 64. Going from Banjo Kazooie to a game with such amazingly lifelike graphics was just... wow, I might as well have been playing real life. It made all the gruesome effects just so much more visceral and real. It felt like I was really there, and that took things to a level of horrifying that I've never felt since.
Set phasers to thrill.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:56 am

Good news everyone!
With all these good decisions capcom has been making lately i think someone at capcom finally realized "oh shit we are meant to be a game company and at least act like our fanbase exists!"
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:27 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Good news everyone!
With all these good decisions capcom has been making lately i think someone at capcom finally realized "oh shit we are meant to be a game company and at least act like our fanbase exists!"

They haven't made many bad decisions. I can think only 5.

1) Breath of Fire 6 for mobile
2) DMC (which is an okay game) instead of Devil May Cry 5
3) Killing Onimusha
4) Killing Clover
5) No Monster Hunter for home consoles or pc

Most of them are in the category of personal tastes (except point 3 and 4) so for some others it may not be so bad.

Still the news of asking the staff of RE2 Reborn is great news. I don't know if this means the game will be 3rd person. I still can't decide between fixed camera and 3rd persona. Hopefully it will be good either way as long as they keep the atmosphere of the original. Gonna be a long wait till we get an update on this.

Plus, Resident Evil 7 and Revelations 3 should already be in development.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:43 am

The way they treated megaman and fans for years? as well as their dlc policies a while back before their recent dialling it down?

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:26 am

Capcom and Megaman is an old story and seriously the only ''bad'' decision they made was to cancel Legends 3. Truth is Capcom probably understood that the franchise isn't selling so good these days and they didn't want to risk with Legends 3. They probably asked Nintendo to help given the good relationship between the two companies but they found the doors closed.

I never understood why they were making it for 3DS anyway.

DLC is an other topic. There are other companies that are locking content on disc too but Capcom gets all the hate. Personally i hate DLC so having locked content on disc doesn't make it worse for me.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:22 am

^ That, and ending the Megaman Battle Network series in favor of that piece of shit Starforce. I'm a little glad that Legends 3 got cancelled because it looked like it was largely going to be played from the POV of some stupid new character. Hopefully Legends 3 starts over development from scratch some day.

Back on topic, it's pretty much a given that RE2make will be getting a couple new areas that weren't in the original RE2. I'm really hoping we get to see the Raccoon City zoo.
Set phasers to thrill.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:50 pm

Resident Evil 0 and 1 HD remasters are getting a PS4 physical release in NA and Europe early next year! Also, RE 0 HD now has a Wesker Mode!

http://gematsu.com/2015/09/resident-evil-origins-collection-announced-resident-evil-0-wesker-mode-unveiled

Price will be $39.99, I might get this day 1.
[Redacted]

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:02 am

Japan will also get Resident Evil 0 HD as a standalone copy for PS3.

[url]http://www.play-asia.com/biohazard-0-hd-remaster/13/708ug3[/url]

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:53 pm

Replayed Nemesis and Zero over the last couple weeks, because I figured this is as good a time of the year as any to play to pick up a Resident Evil. Decided along the way that Zero is probably my favorite entry from the 0-CV days. I'd say the soundtrack is probably the best in the series, and there's something about the graphics that make me prefer them to those in REmake. I really love the way the train/mansion/factory are all laid out and even the design of individual rooms. I can't really explain it other than by saying that everything to me is just incredibly aesthetically pleasing, and I get a lot of joy just by walking through the game. The enemies do tend to be a bit too easy(except for those apes), and I don't think Billy is all that memorable of a protagonist(especially since they've brought back like every other character in the series but him) but Rebecca's altogether vibe makes up for it. Bonus points go to the game for reminding me of ICO, too.

Also decided that Nemesis has got to be the weakest entry in the series, though I may only think it because it's the only RE game that I tend to struggle with at times. I sorta feel that Capcom put too much faith in the player being able to dodge Nemesis' attacks while playing on hard, or I may just suck at it, who knows? Anyway, the Nemesis battles always end up giving me an incredibly difficult time and make me question why it is that I'm even replaying the game at all, then I just sort of go through the motions until I beat it and the whole experience leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It also seems that Jill ends up finding all these powerful weapons too early and that there's way too much handgun and shotgun ammunition, and I'm not crazy about the design of Raccoon City or the clocktower. I once dreamed of beating this enough times to unlock all the epilogues and costumes, but, no more!
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:32 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:and I don't think Billy is all that memorable of a protagonist(especially since they've brought back like every other character in the series but him)

At least they never brought back Steve, amirite?

In all seriousness, I've never really had a MC grate on my nerves as much as Steve did (I'm usually very easy-going with character personalities). He just has that kind of power to him. :tongue:

But yeah, RE Zero was great stuff. I'm a little nervous that weird "evil Rebecca" mode in RE 0 HD is a bad sign of things to come, but most likely it's just a little bonus, no?

I think my personal favorite "old school" RE is a toss-up between RE original/DC and RE Remake Remaster (whew). Love 'em both for different reasons. Modern RE fav is without a doubt RE Revelations 2 because 1) Barry "Jill Sandwich" Burton and B) It brings back the cheesiness of the original game(s).

By the way, if you're into speedruns at all, I gotta recommend Carci: http://www.twitch.tv/carcinogensda
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Oct 22, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:40 pm

View Original PostJoy Evangelion wrote:Also decided that Nemesis has got to be the weakest entry in the series, though I may only think it because it's the only RE game that I tend to struggle with at times. I sorta feel that Capcom put too much faith in the player being able to dodge Nemesis' attacks while playing on hard, or I may just suck at it, who knows? Anyway, the Nemesis battles always end up giving me an incredibly difficult time and make me question why it is that I'm even replaying the game at all, then I just sort of go through the motions until I beat it and the whole experience leaves a bitter taste in my mouth. It also seems that Jill ends up finding all these powerful weapons too early and that there's way too much handgun and shotgun ammunition, and I'm not crazy about the design of Raccoon City or the clocktower. I once dreamed of beating this enough times to unlock all the epilogues and costumes, but, no more!

RE3 is actually the most fluid and fun to control of the classic series once you get it down. Last Escape was definitely the peak of the PS games for me as far as gameplay goes. CV would probably be the weakest. Zombies have ridiculous hitboxes and there are so many grabs that are basically unavoidable.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:23 am

So I finally got Revelations 2 and I just finished episode 3, so I'm close to the end. Man, I have never felt so torn over a game before. The way the game controls in general is easily the best of any RE game to date, and if they never change a single thing about it for future games, I'll be satisfied. Enemy design is pretty good too, by which I mean they aren't bullet sponges like in Revelations 1, so all of your hits feel really impactful and cathartic. 4-5 shots to the body or 1-2 to their weak point and they're done.

However, this is the least inspired level design I've ever seen. I don't want to spoil anything by being too specific, but it's just a bland checklist of generic survival horror settings. And it apes Code Veronica in so many ways that it goes beyond simple tribute and starts being annoying.

All in all it's a 10/10 Resident Evil game trapped in a 4/10 setting. Ultimately I preferred the first Revelations more, but man, the game feels so good when the environment isnt boring me.

Also I fucking hate the bloody-screen heath system. Add onto that the fact that there are now two status effects you can be afflicted with, both of which obscure your vision even further. Just give me a health bar please, for the love of god.
Set phasers to thrill.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Resident Evil

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:20 pm

Release date and pre-order bonuses revealed for Resident Evil 0 HD.

http://gematsu.com/2015/12/resident-evi ... january-19

Dem legs... I fucking need that cheerleader costume for Rebecca.
[Redacted]

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”