Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
xwait
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xwait » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:06 am

For BDs they used Renewal video master.

You can see the different tone of color and the different credits' font in the OP.
There's also the edit on 01's eyes in the first episode (in the original edit the eyes are always turned "on", while in the Renewal they turned "off" for a while).

So this would mean no more Reiquarium in ep.23 DC.

:irked:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:34 am

View Original PostDougurasu wrote:Reallllyyy not out to make anyone jealous, but I've received that blu-ray box and it's gorgeous. I'm even paying for Macgo Blu ray Player so I can watch them without watermark. But (and of course I knew this going into it) it doesn't have english subs. Now I can open english subs with Macgo Blu Ray Player, but does anyone know of anyone that has already done this. Because I'm unfamiliar with all the different kinds of Death&Rebirth etc I wouldn't know what subs to put where. Also, because I've still legally bought the whole package, I hope this isn't seen as asking to pirate something.

I had a sub ripper when editing the subs from Manga's Death with ADV's translation from the show. I'll see if I can't dig it up and link you to it so you can rip subs from ADV's DVDs for the Blu-rays.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:24 am

View Original Postxwait wrote:For BDs they used Renewal video master.

Except that they actually rescanned the film. The colour was matched to the Renewal version, we understand.

Yes, as far as I know (as I've said before) the Reiquarium with extra images is not there. A shame.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Dougurasu
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dougurasu » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:52 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I had a sub ripper when editing the subs from Manga's Death with ADV's translation from the show. I'll see if I can't dig it up and link you to it so you can rip subs from ADV's DVDs for the Blu-rays.

That's super cool, thanks :) However the episodes are just one whole track. There's six episodes per disc which are all just after eachother in one big track the way I'm playing it. I'm using quick play on the blu-ray software, which allows me to not have to switch between regions (I know Eva is region free, but my other blurays are not). I can't be the only one with this problem, so I was hoping someone would've done this, but if not I might have to make a start.

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:58 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:It plays the entire second half of EoE?

Oh, I'm sorry I must have misunderstood. I've always thought that 'One More Final: I need you.' referred to the last 3min. and 10sec. or so of End of Evangelion.

So what I meant is that the special feature with the altered line (which is called '第26話「まごころを、君に」 ラストシーン 別台詞版') plays the segment of EoE from the 'One More Final: I need you.' telop to the end with the only thing altered is a different dubbing (I think some of the crying and strangulation noises are slightly different) of Asuka's final line.
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:03 pm

Put my birthday money to good use and finally ordered the BD box. I'll get the Archive DVD set sometime later, I can really only afford one luxury at a time. Estimated to arrive on Sunday or Monday. I was surprised by how easy Amazon's Japanese site is to use for ordering to the states. (It was my first time using the site, probably won't be my last). The anticipation will be what carries me through the rest of the week. I just rewatched the series recently, but I'm definitely going to do a full rewatch once this gets in.

On a more practical note, my PS3 is my only Blu-Ray player. It should be fine for playing the discs, but does anyone know if there's a way to import subtitles onto a BD being played on a PS3? If I have to settle for no subtitles, so be it, but if there's a way, I'd love to know.

M2Dane
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby M2Dane » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:29 pm

No you can't externally add subs on a ps3 I'd love if you could though. I need to dig out my desktop so I can start adding the subs to my discs.

I broke down and ordered the archive disks as well. They look very nice all set up on my shelves.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:15 pm

View Original Postshinhito wrote:There have been many posted earlier in this very thread! Reading can do wonders!

I wouldn't say "many".

Anyhow that alternate EoE scene seems to be all the talk atm. I don't think it would be considered canon... But it really is more confusing that "how disgusting."
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Sephizim
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Sephizim » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:17 am

Okay, so leaving the PS3 aside, what would be the method of being able to view the BD with subtitles? It seems like people are planning to do it, I'm just curious as to how.

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:57 am

View Original PostSephizim wrote:Okay, so leaving the PS3 aside, what would be the method of being able to view the BD with subtitles? It seems like people are planning to do it, I'm just curious as to how.

If you have a computer that can read bd discs, programs like vlc, macgo, etc., can run the footage and then you could just put subtitles on it. As far as I know that's the only way you could really do it.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:04 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Except that they actually rescanned the film. The colour was matched to the Renewal version, we understand.

Looks like the BD remaster follows Renewal pretty closely. Most (all?) of the Renewal-only changes are still there. The "Sex" / "I hate everyone" flash cards in #22/#22' are still censored, for example. They've fixed the Renewal glitch in #02 though.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:14 am

Oh, sure - it's a new definitive version of the same editorial decisions. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

But given that so many versions of the films (especially the rather marginal Death) have been included, I find the decision not to show significant intermediate material in the series rather strange. The Reiquarium images could have been given as an extra somewhere, just like the discarded version of Asuka's last line of EoE. Still, let's concentrate on rejoicing over the magnificence of what we've got!

But I'm hanging on to my Genesis Reborn and Resurrection DVDs for their unique content.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:50 am

I'm a bit disappointed that the BDs are still as abysmally dark as the Renewal versions are. For goodness' sake, there are times when you can see things in the original shit DVDs that are obscured into the void in what's supposed to be the best available version! So disillusioning... :facepalm:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:04 am

Examples? Then people can judge whether this is truly a source issue or merely a monitor alignment matter (which could be common, of course).

Maybe sometimes it's deliberate, like an Easter egg. For instance, the scene in 2.22 where we can read the titles of the books that Shinji gets for Rei really can only be discerned by close examination with some contrast manipulation.

xwait
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby xwait » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:36 am

View Original Postath wrote:Looks like the BD remaster follows Renewal pretty closely. Most (all?) of the Renewal-only changes are still there. The "Sex" / "I hate everyone" flash cards in #22/#22' are still censored, for example.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:the Reiquarium with extra images is not there.

These parts are lost forever.

The Archives of Evangelion DVD Boxset - which use the original video master with the original tone of color - have not Episodes 21-24 DC.

:facepalm:

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:12 am

My copy arrived last night!

I of course has to pop in a few discs and check some of my favorite episodes out.
Overall I'm highly satisfied with the purchase. I knew before hand that coming from the stock reels that were used, fidelity wouldn't go up leaps and bounds. I got exactly what I expected; a really good quality collection of all the episodes and movies.

I want that danbo though. :shifty:

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:43 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:So according to Oricon, the first week of sales:

BD Box - 22,775
DVD Box - 3,578

That's not too bad considering these are pricey boxes and not single volumes that it's mostly competing against. Still ended up #1 for the week. #2 Blu-ray spot was Disney Short Film Collection Blu-ray+DVD Set with 14,779, also in its' first week of sales.

I was expecting a lot more to be honest especially for the BD Box.

Anyway is there a site with new comparison pics?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:58 am

Got charged for the Blu-Ray set today. Despite the hole it just burned in my bank account I'm actually relieved because I received my boxset over a week ago & was starting to wonder when the JSSDF was going to burst down my door for payment.

shinhito
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby shinhito » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:20 pm

I got my set Monday, but I've been too busy obsessing over it I forgot to post pictures! Also, I would have received the set on Friday (08/28) but DHL gave me nothing but issues.

Since this is kind of long, I'm going to put my journey and issues with DHL under a spoiler tag.

SPOILER: Show
I ordered my set from Amazon Japan on August 21st. Due to some issues with the Amazon.co.jp website I had to cancel my pre-order I had placed back in April and as many of you experienced my order status changed to expected ship date around the first week of September. Since I felt that losing my spot in the Pre-Order queue was due to an issue with Amazon Japan's ordering system, I sent their customer service a message and lo and behold after contacting them my estimate ship date moved from September to August 31st!

So my Blu-ray set finally shipped on August 26th! I obsessively checked the DHL tracking every spare moment I could and I was amazed at how quickly it moved across the world! It arrived in my city on Friday the 28th and updated to "With delivery courier". I was ecstatic that it would be arriving so quickly so like a puppy, I awaited my Evangelion master to arrive home. I was sitting in the front room when I got a text update saying that my package had "Delivery attempted; recipient not home". My heart sank as I bolted to the front door and sure enough there was a door tag requesting my signature and a check box indicating they would re-attempt delivery on Monday. So apparently my DHL Delivery Courier was a poltergeist because there was no knock, and no doorbell ring. I literally was about 30 feet away from the door and would have heard a person approaching the door. So I called DHL to ask if I could pick up the package myself once the truck returned, but sadly I was informed that the truck would return after their offices had closed.

Luckily after Saturday and Sunday crawled by at an agonizing pace, I made sure to be on watch for the mysterious DHL Delivery Courier. The truck finally appeared at 10:32am and I awaited with the door open for the courier to approach. My heart sank as he approached with a beat-up looking cardboard Amazon Japan box.

I was prepared for the worst when I opened that box. Shattered case, beat-up box, scratched discs, etc. But luckily! Everything was intact! And to my surprise Amazon Japan provided me with an extra!

As an apology for messing up my pre-order they provided the Seele-01 Danbo at no extra cost! My jaw had to be picked up from the floor!

I couldn't believe it! Apparently I had built up my karma enough for a Danbo.

He's so cute! But the most important part was the Blu-ray set!

I forget who said it, but this set does attract fingerprints like nothing else! It seems like it's competing for fingerprints against the original PS3! But really I can't complain much, the set is pretty beautiful. My only complaint is that the front "flap" where the discs are held is very flimsy. I don't understand why they couldn't have just added another "page" of the hard plastic that the discs are held in. It would just make it feel much more solid. As it stands that flap isn't very strong and I could easily see someone accidentally bending it or something when putting it back into the blue acrylic slip case.

I hope someone somewhere does a heroic job of translating at least some of the 'Eva Tomonokai', it seems like there is at least some fascinating and humorous information!

Some technical musings on the set:

So the more I watch through the TV series proper on the Blu-ray, the more I am mystified as to the process they used for the telecine.

I am now suspecting they applied some liberal DNR and then added grain after the fact. I wish I could easily take screenshots of what I am talking about, but all the software Blu-ray players I have don't allow screenshots. If someone can tell me how to circumvent this and take screencaps in Windows 10 without ripping the entire disc to my HD to remove the copy-protection that would be amazing.

But in the meantime I'll explain a prime example that I've seen of evidence of DNR and then grain added on top. In Episode 14 during Unit-00's berserk during Shinji's test. There are many times where in the same frame there is apparent, colored, grain around some parts, but then there are parts of the image where there grain is smooth and not apparent.

It's killing me that I haven't found an easy way of screencapping, but once I do I will definitely post shots of what I'm talking about as soon as I can.
He then played every song from 1993. The crowd applauded as he curtsied bashfully.
Your eyelashes tickled my neck, with every nervous blink. And it was perfect, until the telephone started ringing

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:36 pm

^ That doesn't sound like a filter to me. Or, at least not the filters you're talking about. Especially since there would be no incentive to add grain after applying the DNR. My best guess is that it's an attempt to repair damaged film strips or something like that.

Did you try taking a screen shot of your whole computer screen while pausing the player? That might get the image from the disc you need.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”