Bluray release (TV + original movies) - August 26th 2015

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:20 pm

I would place bets on that person having the wrong color space set on their computer.

I occasionally have the same problem.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:42 pm

The thing is, the people I've talked to have said the the color of the bluray is the same as the 2003 dvds, which apparently also have a yellow tint problem.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:54 pm

They either have wrong color space which would result in all video having yellow tint, or they are just complaining thinking they know what it should look like according to them vs accepting what Anno and co want it to look like.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:14 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:They either have wrong color space which would result in all video having yellow tint

I don't think this is possible considering the amount of people saying it (some have the blurays themselves) but the tint is such a small thing, that it doesn't even matter, though I did bring it up because I was interested in seeing the opinions here. I do think these people are just complaining, though I will say, I'm curious to see if the broadcast version has the same type tint.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:21 pm

It's pretty simple. Are you gonna believe Sony and Khara who spent 40 hours per episode tweaking things to look exactly right or random people on the internet?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:28 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:The thing is, the people I've talked to have said the the color of the bluray is the same as the 2003 dvds, which apparently also have a yellow tint problem.

Don't have my BDs yet (I picked the snail-est of mails when I ordered them), so I fired up ADV's release of the 2003 DVDs to see if I got that same tint. As it turns out, I do. It looks like that's just how the episode was always supposed to look. (Keep in mind that the idea of perpetual summer in the show is being hinted at in the episode, and yellowish/warmer colors do that pretty well.) Since it matches the BD shots, and that Anno himself supervised the entire restoration process, I don't think that this is really a problem.

I remember that the first Blu-ray releases of The Man With No Name trilogy had it's yellow tinting color-"corrected" from the film, as well as cropped out what the "restorers" thought was unnecessary space from the shots. Needless to say, they really shouldn't have manipulated a Sergio Leone film like that. People got upset about it. The latest restorations of the film to Blu-ray took all those digital cropping and color-"correcting" filters off and simply put its efforts into presenting the kind of film that the director actually made in the best possible quality they could. It's 1,000 times better as a result. I found the whole set for $15 at a Wal-Mart.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:30 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:It's pretty simple. Are you gonna believe Sony and Khara who spent 40 hours per episode tweaking things to look exactly right or random people on the internet?

I was basically agreeing with you that these people are just complaining because they don't like it, not because it isn't right. I think the yellow tint, which is a very slight thing, is suppose to be there.

and considering this is a remaster, not the broadcast boxset, Anno could have changed the tint to whatever he wanted. Hell, he could have made it orange and teal, and it would still technically be the way he wanted it to be presented.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:24 am

The Blu-Rays look fantastic. I've watched three early episodes randomly - Asuka Strikes, Both of you Dance Like You Want to Win & Lilliputian Hatcher - & the entirety of End of Evangelion on my copy & they all look phenomenal. It's almost like watching the series again for the first time.

I'm positive any & all complaints about the look of the NGE Blu-ray release stems from it being a 20 year old series that doesn't look or feel like anything contemporary. It's not going to have the color palette of something released in 2015. It's still a series made & released in 1995. But it has never looked better.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:27 am

Someone posted a handful of screenshots of the Archives DVD set. One thing I can say for sure is that there's far less chroma noise at line edges as compared to the Second Impact Box #2 DVD Volume 6 (the only other DVD using the original broadcast masters).

DVDISOs of the Archives set have hit a major private tracker so I can give some basic filesize data. The first 6 discs are 6.25 GB each, or 1.6 GB per episode. Disc 7 (Ep. 25-26 + extras) is 7.0 GB, as is Disc 8 (Death[True] and Rebirth). EDIT: I also found an BDMV of EoE on a public tracker, 30GB for that one. An M2TS of Episode 1 has been put up too, 7.5 GB for that one episode.

I'm not going to bother downloading any of them though, as downloading that many gigs to watch both releases that I'm receiving the legit copies of in 2-3 weeks (as my Amazon Japan purchase is still on backorder) is just wasteful.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:09 am

Once they're available with retimed Platinum subs I'll probably download all of them for convenience's sake. But if the Archives are around 82 GB I can't imagine what the Blu-Rays must be. Ah well, I've been meaning to clear out my hard drive for a while anyway. -o-; Or, scratch that, I might just get a dedicated external drive for Eva. That might make organizing things easier anyway.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:19 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But if the Archives are around 82 GB I can't imagine what the Blu-Rays must be.

The "Archives" DVD set weighs in at 52 GB. As for the Blu-ray set, if I were to extrapolate its size based off of the few numbers that I have on hand (EoE's BDMV @ 30 GB, Episode 1's M2TS @ 7.5 GB), I'd have to say the entire set is probably in the 350 GB range.

EDIT: Just got an email from Amazon Japan, looks like they're moving up the delivery date for my order (Archives + Blu-ray boxes) to the 1st of September. Checked my order on their site, it's currently "Preparing for Shipment". Checked my bank account, the charge ($363.08) is pending!

:peace:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:35 am

View Original Postsvenge wrote:The "Archives" DVD set weighs in at 52 GB.

Ah, I see. The figure you quoted for EoE was the BD version.

As for the Blu-ray set, if I were to extrapolate its size based off of the few numbers that I have on hand (EoE's BDMV @ 30 GB, Episode 1's M2TS @ 7.5 GB), I'd have to say the entire set is probably in the 350 GB range.

Oof. Yup, definitely time for a new external.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:44 am

Huzzah, my credit card got charged.

In the mean time, time to prepare for shenanigans.

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:58 am

Just got a notice from customs... 153.56 € in import duties + VAT! Whatever.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:00 am

^ Heh! I'd forgotten this costs enough that it'll get noticed. Ah well.

I was surprised when a package from Japan turned up today (I expect it next Tuesday); but it was the settei book which the excitement over the disks had briefly put out of my mind. And very nice it is, too!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:07 am

FWIW, I don't ever remember a color tint on my ADV Platinum DVDs or Renewal Feature Films....It's awesome to see everyone so excited for these BDs!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:17 am

View Original Postath wrote:Just got a notice from customs... 153.56 € in import duties + VAT! Whatever.

Wow, that's messed up! That's almost nearly half as much as I paid in total for my entire Blu-ray + Archives order including shipping! ($173 vs $363). Sometimes I forget how absolutely terrible Western Europe is in terms of seeing their citizens as ATMs...

[s]Did you order just the Blu-ray set by itself or did you also order the Archives DVDs as well?[/s] EDIT: Whoops! You already said on the 22nd that you ordered both boxes.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:36 am

I don't expect to pay that much for both boxes. 20% VAT and no duty, plus (I expect) a service fee for collecting the tax, should come to almost exactly £70 (if the postage gets taxed as well).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:38 am

Oh, that's the BD Box + Archives + a pair of cheap artbooks.
Anyway, the copy of KIBA-6 you suggested me has just arrived here! The disk case is pretty sweet, I must say. The disk itself works perfectly.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:39 am

View Original Postath wrote:Oh, that's the BD Box + Archives + a pair of cheap artbooks.

Do you pay VAT on books, then? I don't.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”