[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:29 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Well, it's still a little fishy that they decided to do this, who knows what all the motivations really were. I think it's not necessarily a bad thing to have an archive of public figure's tweets, I don't personally find the majority of that all that interesting. I wouldn't call is censorship though.

Well, I agree it's fishy to do it now after letting it go on this long, but isn't the premise of these sites reproducing deleted tweets? I mean, I get that it's useful and even desirable to have an archive of such things, but if said archive is a violation of Twitter's ToS that would seem to be the end of the matter.

Or is the rationale that these sites are saving tweets that have been made rather than reproducing them per se? That seems like splitting hairs to me, but I haven't been following this that closely.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:41 pm

If a public figure says something at a public or semi-public event, and someone records it, even surreptitiously, it's highly unlikely that said figure would be able to use copyright, contract, or wiretap law to get it removed from the public record; it would be considered in the public interest to let it stand.

In fact, one remembers something similar happening to Mitt Romney at a private fundraising event during the last presidential race.

Our media culture definitely has its downsides -- sometimes the microscope is too focused or too constant -- but it is worrisome that our newest platforms for public dialogue are also going out of their way to shift that balance towards those in power. The posters of tweets retain copyright and it's a subject of much debate as to how much Twitter and other centralized service should act like a common carrier, versus an active moderator.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:07 pm

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Our media culture definitely has its downsides -- sometimes the microscope is too focused or too constant -- but it is worrisome that our newest platforms for public dialogue are also going out of their way to shift that balance towards those in power. The posters of tweets retain copyright and it's a subject of much debate as to how much Twitter and other centralized service should act like a common carrier, versus an active moderator.

But they are private entities, so it's not the same thing. I mean, if I recorded something at an event you couldn't force me to share it, and nor should I be obliged to give you access to it. Now, granted, if it was a public figure I wouldn't want to keep such remarks private, but I likewise wouldn't be keen on blasting the thoughts of a private citizen all over the internet without his consent. To me this seems like an unavoidable problem with using private entities as said platforms for public dialogue -- there's no way to protect the rights of private citizens without also giving public figures a way to finesse their speaking records.

I agree the whole mess is worrisome, but I don't see a way to resolve the matter.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:27 am

Two journalists in Virginia shot dead on air during a broadcast.
[url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34062118[/url]

A disaffected colleague, it seems; and he posted his own films of the murders on Twitter before being shot or shooting himself.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:34 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Two journalists in Virginia shot dead on air during a broadcast.

Jesus Christ have mercy that's horrible.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:32 pm

It was pretty surreal seeing that on the news today, it happened less than 50 miles from where I live. The culprit tried to commit suicide when the police caught up to him, but it failed. Last I heard they had him in the hospital.
[Redacted]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:42 pm

He died.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:53 pm

I wish I hadn't read the comment and tweet from the woman's boyfriend.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:29 pm

I just watched the report itself. Also saw one of the two videos the gunman posted that's still up. It's sickening.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:49 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Two journalists in Virginia shot dead on air during a broadcast.

A disaffected colleague, it seems; and he posted his own films of the murders on Twitter before being shot or shooting himself.

Not again. Not again. Not again. Now I wonder if my country is safer -- despite being labelled as backward and corruption-prone -- than a place where people with off-kilter brains pick up guns to destroy things they hate to solve their personal problems.

But then, down south in my country the worst mass murder of journalists and people is still have yet to be finished, what with a lot of defendants consisting of a warlord and his clan to deal with.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:26 pm

http://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3048
http://asian-defence-news.blogspot.de/2015/08/japanese-maritime-self-defense-force.html

What a coincidence. I was just reading Shattered Sword when I heard the news that Kaga has been reborn.

Naturally twitter exploded with Kancolle worshippers. Even the Kancolle anime director was spotted at the christening.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:36 pm

My inner shipper is saying this is somehow related to akagi x kaga in some way, i don't care how it just is.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

Postby BobBQ » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:21 am

Dunno what the fuss is about, the MSDF has been recycling IJN ship names for ages.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:12 am

View Original PostBobBQ wrote:Dunno what the fuss is about, the MSDF has been recycling IJN ship names for ages.

Just like several other navies and many, many manufacturing companies...

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:17 am

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOQLxxySLQ4[/url]
Texas.
Fucking Texas.

That is all.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:44 am

Jesus Christ.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:51 am

Unfortunately, the prosecutor has a point. You can't prosecute a rape case without involving the victim; it just doesn't work, since the defense has the right to challenge whatever claims the prosecution's putting forth (which includes interrogating the victim). Putting a two-year-old and a four-year-old through that is . . . not good. That said, I'm surprised he didn't force the guy to register as a sex offender, as I'm hard-pressed to think of a better example of such.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:05 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Unfortunately, the prosecutor has a point. You can't prosecute a rape case without involving the victim; it just doesn't work,

It strikes me that this is a case in which that blanket view could actually be wrong. But IANAL...

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:38 am

Its wrong that I think this and I know that but sometimes I REALLY wish I had a death note for people like this.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:50 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:It strikes me that this is a case in which that blanket view could actually be wrong. But IANAL...

Well, the real problem is that, even if the prosecutor didn't take testimony from the kids, there's nothing stopping the defense from doing so. If the guy knows the prosecution's got him dead to rights, what's to stop him from putting the kids through the wringer just to stick it to their mom one last time? He's already shown that he doesn't have a shred of decency in him, so he could make a trial an utter nightmare for them even if he's ultimately convicted.

No, unless there's a gag order in place I think the way to go here is for the mom to spread the word far and wide about what he did. Make sure everyone within earshot knows the guy's a child rapist, and that there's proof, and see how long he's smiling then. Not all justice comes in the form of a courtroom, y'know?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”