Why is Asuka so nice to Hikari?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:45 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Ritsuko is very detached from the kids as anything other than Pilots

There are good indications that this is part of her "Dr. Ritsuko Akagi, Head of Nerv HQ's Science Division" mode, not the whole story.

Episode 02 wrote:RITSUKO:
It must be so hard on those children.

IIKARI (OFF):
There is no one else who can pilot the Evas.
As long as they survive, that is what I'll have them do.

RITSUKO (OFF):
With no regard to what they may want?

Episode 05 wrote:Shinji:
I just find it strange that I know so little about Ayanami,
even though we're both Eva pilots.

RITSUKO:
She's a very nice girl, but she's like your father.
She's not very adept.

Shinji:
Not adept at what?

RITSUKO:
Living.

Not to mention that it's Ritsuko who brings up the Hedgehog's Dilemma to Misato. She actually is incredibly perceptive about the emotional lives of the pilots. It's just that she's resigned to doing whatever needs to be done, and she's able and willing to put aside her feelings to make sure it happens. ("A strong-willed woman. I can understand why Ikari would want you by his side.")
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:53 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Well, it is what it is: Misato does her best, but she's an emotional wreck that's doing her best to keep it together and often forced to make decisions that are not in the best interests of the children. Kaji is focused on other things and rarely has time to devote to the kids, Ritsuko is very detached from the kids as anything other than Pilots, Fuyutsuki is doing...whatever the hell Fuyutsuki is doing. Playing his part in the game against Seele.

And Gendo? Does he give any indication that he sees the kids as anything other than a means to an end?

None of the adults on this show have the needed capacity to put this kids in a place that's safe or constructive for them, whether by choice or lack of capability.

I don't think she was molesting her, I think it was just innocent act. Asuka would kick Misato's butt if she touched her.
Asuka, you're not going to have any children.

You don't care about Hikari anymore, Asuka?

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:04 pm

^

I didn't...I didn't say anything about Misato molesting Asuka. Where did you get that?

Reichu: A very good point; we do see that Ritsuko is not this cold, calculating woman. She does show concern about the kids, but the point is she is able to detach that concern very effectively. A lot more effectively than Misato, for that matter. And whether it's some sort of coping mechanism or not, it does mean that she has placed mission priorities ahead of the children. I can sympathize with that mindset, but it does add credence to the fact that most of the adults are simply incapable of being beneficial for the kids beyond what is necessary to get them to Pilot.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:19 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:She does show concern about the kids, but the point is she is able to detach that concern very effectively.

I said that, didn't I? ;p

it does add credence to the fact that most of the adults are simply incapable of being beneficial for the kids beyond what is necessary to get them to Pilot.

Well, if you're working for a program that needs to use kids to pilot cyborgs to prevent humanity as we know it from being eradicated, it makes perfect sense not to get too attached. What's best for the kids is for them to not be piloting Evas, plain and simple. But if they don't pilot Evas, then they and everyone else will die, and that's not good for anyone. Ergo, the right thing to do is to sacrifice a few kids' safety and happiness so that the entire species can have a future. It screws with one's moral compass, yeah, but you either deal with it, or you lie back and wait for the apocalypse, with the oh-so-comforting knowledge that you could have done something to prevent it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:08 am

Split out the tangent. The focus should be on Asuka here.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:31 am

You forget that we mostly get to see Asuka from Shinji's perspective, who as a co-worker and flatmate, can't escape being with her in close quarters.
He's also what, through Bully-O-Vision (TM), looks like a perfect target as he'd twist himself into pretzels to avoid people disliking him and is likely to asume he probably deserves any abuse/ that no one would help him (Even though his friends usually take his side and defend him.)

Also, Hikari hasn't watched the show other than the parts she's in and has no idea where Asuka does or doesn't shove her boobs (which I really wish the OP hadn't oversimplified or played for slut-shaming)

As we see in ep 9 she's actually super popular with her classmates and maintains a facade of toughness heroism and perfection in public. That's the Asuka that Hikari knows and decided to be buddies with. None of the other girls visit her at home or try to comfort her after things get though because those connections were highly superficial and Asuka collects friends more than she bonds with them, but she's established as a "popular girl" and flaunts it to Shinji's face, too.
To quote Touji, "Those poor dupes don't know anything about her true self."

Hikari might act bossy as part of her class-rep job but it's the "token responsible sibling" sort of bossy, she's concerned with ppls education and proper procedure, and also a bit old-fashioned.

Same with Misato, really, whom she superficially gets along with but secretly disdains, with the facades disintegrating the more obvious it becomes that Misato & Kaji are back together.

On a less cynical note, if you don't know how vicious Asuka gets behind closed doors, or heck, if she is having a good day, Asuka basically looks like a cool, tough, confident person that it would be cool to be friends with.
Hikari might like that she also takes education seriously and admire Asuka's outspoken nature as someone who, as much as they act strict in a caregiver role, can still be pretty insecure and reserved when it comes to interacting as equals (most evidently seen in her attempts to get Touji's attention)
She's ultimately a very caring person so she was gonna have a more serious interest in a person she considers her a friend and even take her for a bit when the lean times arrive.

She also tries to cheer her up about her unlucky battle outcomes in ep 23 in a way that suggests that Hikari finds her fighting for the common good to be a heroic thing regardless of the results. Asuka wasn't able to perceive this as anything other than "pity that makes everything worse", tho, then again the poor girl had really been put through the meat grinder all the time.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:02 am

I'm glad that fracked up Frikari moved. And if not, then someone needsto send her off a bad send-off... :tongue:

I want somebody to kick Asuka's butt! She is stupid, vain, and cries like a spoiled brat! Is there a game where you can kick her butt?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:52 pm

'Frikari?'

I don't get it.

Incidentally, it is still beyond me why you hate Hikari so much. There's a lot of hate aimed at the characters on the show that is (frankly) unjustified, but I can understand that: they're there long enough for people to develop those opinions.

We really don't see much of Hikari, all things considered, so the amount of dislike and hatred you reserve for her frankly stumps me.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:06 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:I'm glad that fracked up Frikari moved. And if not, then someone needs to send her off a bad send-off... :tongue:

You'd be better off writing this as fan fiction yourself instead of pretending it's any kind of discussion.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:29 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:I'm glad that fracked up Frikari moved. And if not, then someone needsto send her off a bad send-off... :tongue:
Did the girl touch you in a bad place? Use diagrams as required.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:01 pm

View Original PostPurpleandRed wrote:I'm glad that fracked up Frikari moved. And if not, then someone needsto send her off a bad send-off... :tongue:

She's not a real person. This is true of all Eva characters, but there's no need to hate a work of fiction so much. And honestly, as one of the less developed characters in the series, I don't see why you hate her so passionately. Could you write a five paragraph essay explaining how you feel?

Seriously though, it's just a show. You can stay calm about this.
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

PurpleandRed
Adam

Postby PurpleandRed » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:18 pm

View Original PostShoujo Kakumei Asuka wrote:She's not a real person. This is true of all Eva characters, but there's no need to hate a work of fiction so much. And honestly, as one of the less developed characters in the series, I don't see why you hate her so passionately. Could you write a five paragraph essay explaining how you feel?

Seriously though, it's just a show. You can stay calm about this.

I know she's not a real person!! I don't HATE EVA!!! WHY WOULD I COME TO THIS BOARD IF I DO, STUPID?! I'M TIRED OF Y'ALL SAYING THAT I HATE HER AND TELLING ME TO WRITE A FIVE PARAGRAPH FREAKING ESSAY (WHEN IT'S NOT SCHOOL!!!)!!!! SHE'S LESS DEVELOPED???!!! THEN, I CAN'T, RIGHT?!! I SAID I DIDN'T HATE HER BUT DETEST HER!!!!!!!! YOU KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT, RIGHT????? I...DO....NOT....THINK....SHE....IS.FREAKING....REAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE REASON WHY I DETEST HIKARI IS THE SAME REASON WHY PEOPLE HATE Asuka SO SHUT UP!!!!!:angry!!:

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:20 pm

And closed.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”