Anno-sama Was Openly Trolling

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tabby-chan
Adam

Anno-sama Was Openly Trolling

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:31 am

So I'm pretty much 100% certain someone's already picked up on this, so feel free to delete this topic if that's the case. But otherwise, did ANYONE else notice this?

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/news_20150401.html

This [s:3ulv341z]shit[/s:3ulv341z] was posted on April Fool's Day. Granted, I'm not sure the Japanese even recognize that holiday (holly jolly holidays), but I'm wondering if he's actually going to make a Gojira movie. I mean, I've heard more news indicating that he's actually going through with it and that it's already in pre-or-production, but the idea seems so far-fetched as it is (think about it--Gojira? Really? Why not write something new?), and I just can't accept that Anno-sama would actually go through with it.

Taking a break from Rebuild to do a new project? Sure. But Gojira? Why?

Perhaps we gave this too much hype when we heard it and he decided to actually do it because people flipped their [s:3ulv341z]shit[/s:3ulv341z] enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX2VaVtFYfs

ccc-p.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/ccc-p
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Anno-sama Was Openly Trolling

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:20 am

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:Why not write something new?

You think he always has? Let's see - Kare Kano was an adaptation of a manga; Cutie Honey and Re: Cutie Honey are two adaptations of existing property. The Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo short that came with Q has a base in past material. And although Rebuild is based on his own property, it's still based on a reworking of existing material. Making a new version of something that already exists is not strange to him.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:26 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You think he always has? Let's see - Kare Kano was an adaptation of a manga; Cutie Honey and Re: Cutie Honey are two adaptations of existing property. The Giant God Warrior Appears in Tokyo short that came with Q has a base in past material. And although Rebuild is based on his own property, it's still based on a reworking of existing material. Making a new version of something that already exists is not strange to him.

:freud: Thank you for degrading my love for the Great Master...

I don't know. I think back to his film "Ritual" (which was an adaptation, I know) and want him to basically do that, but in his own way.

A part of me wishes he WOULD write something original, though he has the green thumb for making other peoples' stories great.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:56 am

The "Anno trollolol" meme has to die. Several times in a row, each more brutal than the last.

This topic's title is bad, and Tabby-chan should feel bad for making it. :p
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:21 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:The "Anno trollolol" meme has to die. Several times in a row, each more brutal than the last.

This topic's title is bad, and Tabby-chan should feel bad for making it. :p

Tabby-chan feels bad for even bringing it up, because I fear that we took a joke so seriously that he ended up going through with it. We may have ENABLED further trolling on a film we just want to see happen and cause him to make a film that splits fans down the middle. Do I want to see a Gojira film? Not really, unless the band by the same name plays at least once in it. But do I want him to do things other than Evangelion? Sure, by all means. Go ahead.

Commenting on this even a day later would have resolved this issue. But he chose to post it on THAT day. And so this happened.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:16 am

April 1st is the start of the Fiscal Year.

If a major company like Toho has an announcement to make about one of its biggest properties it's the perfect day for that.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:51 am

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:A part of me wishes he WOULD write something original, though he has the green thumb for making other peoples' stories great.

Not every original thing is great and not every adaptation is bad. Take a look at, say, Akira Kurosawa. Several of his movies were original screenplays that were highly regarded - The Seven Samurai being a classic case in point - but some of his adaptations were absolutely spectacular, such as Ran, which combines King Lear and the tale of warlord Mori Motonari. In fact, if Anno's doing Gojira, I wouldn't mind waiting longer for 4.0 because knowing Anno, it'll be one hell of a Godzilla movie (and a lot better than the crappy one from last year).
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:02 am

Hey, i liked that movie :sniffle:
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:12 am

Probably you'll like Anno's version a lot better when it comes out - I'm certainly looking forward to see what he makes.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:26 am

Oh there's no doubt of that. Gareth Edwards is good (i REALLY liked his previous film Monsters), but Anno is a freaking MASTER
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:35 am

It's not far-fetched at all. Anno's a huge toku fan and Godzilla is a cultural icon over there. For him, this is probably a huge honor. Like if one of us got selected to direct a new Eva movie! :lol:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:38 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Not every original thing is great and not every adaptation is bad. Take a look at, say, Akira Kurosawa. Several of his movies were original screenplays that were highly regarded - The Seven Samurai being a classic case in point - but some of his adaptations were absolutely spectacular, such as Ran, which combines King Lear and the tale of warlord Mori Motonari. In fact, if Anno's doing Gojira, I wouldn't mind waiting longer for 4.0 because knowing Anno, it'll be one hell of a Godzilla movie (and a lot better than the crappy one from last year).

Last year's Godzilla flick was good, even Toho acknowledged it.

And we have a thread for this already.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:24 am

I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere -

Anyone who thinks Anno's artwork is him "trolling" needs to go punch themselves in the face. Hard.
If need be I'll be happy to assist in the punching in the face department.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:20 am

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:Tabby-chan feels bad for even bringing it up, because I fear that we took a joke so seriously that he ended up going through with it.

I don't really get why you think it would be a joke. What's funny about it? Anno loves tokusatsu and he's been very active about keeping the art form alive. In addition, he's famous for a series that involves giant beings beating the shit out of each other while human drama is unfolding. He's perfect for Gojira.

Actual Japanese April Fools jokes seem to be very different in tone -- more on the outright silly side than what passes as "jokes" in the west these days.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:29 pm

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:... I fear that we took a joke so seriously that he ended up going through with it. We may have ENABLED...

More idiotic conclusions that need to die:
-Fans, especially western fans thinking they have any influence what-so-ever on Anno/khara.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:23 pm

^ Yes, this. When Anno keeps his personal meaning of EoTV Episode 25 a secret from the public, and encourages others to find their own meaning in the rest of Evangelion, we're not affecting him. He's affecting us. Our claiming that he's "trolling" or that we can "enable" his narrative and creative tendencies in ways other than monetary exchange is simply us trying to push back or even deny exactly how Anno affects us.

Adaminator1
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Adaminator1 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:07 pm

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:This [s]shit[/s] was posted on April Fool's Day.

Also known as the beginning of the Japanese fiscal year.

Edit: Damn, beaten to it.
I finally put something here!

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Anno loves Tokatsu so there's no reason that he wouldn't make one. Besides, that would be like the type of "April Fools" prank that Squidward played on Spongebob, for no real reason. The movie will come out, and will likely be one of the better ones, although also likely not the best. (People tend to REALLY underestimate the wealth of talent that's been poured into Godzilla, and I think Anno's somewhat more comfortable in animation than live action from what I've seen)

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I'll repeat what I've said elsewhere -

Anyone who thinks Anno's artwork is him "trolling" needs to go punch themselves in the face. Hard.
If need be I'll be happy to assist in the punching in the face department.

That's still getting a bit over the top though. A stupid opinion isn't a reason to get that mad at someone. It's not like he said he was a pedophile and planned to act on it (I realize you were likely partially joking).
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:54 pm

View Original PostShoujo Kakumei Asuka wrote:That's still getting a bit over the top though. A stupid opinion isn't a reason to get that mad at someone. It's not like he said he was a pedophile and planned to act on it (I realize you were likely partially joking).

Partially? C'mon, man, that was clearly hyperbole.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

PainXIII12
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PainXIII12 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:19 pm

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:So I'm pretty much 100% certain someone's already picked up on this, so feel free to delete this topic if that's the case. But otherwise, did ANYONE else notice this?

http://www.evangelion.co.jp/news_20150401.html

This [s]shit[/s] was posted on April Fool's Day. Granted, I'm not sure the Japanese even recognize that holiday (holly jolly holidays), but I'm wondering if he's actually going to make a Gojira movie. I mean, I've heard more news indicating that he's actually going through with it and that it's already in pre-or-production, but the idea seems so far-fetched as it is (think about it--Gojira? Really? Why not write something new?), and I just can't accept that Anno-sama would actually go through with it.

Taking a break from Rebuild to do a new project? Sure. But Gojira? Why?

Perhaps we gave this too much hype when we heard it and he decided to actually do it because people flipped their [s]shit[/s] enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX2VaVtFYfs

ccc-p.bandcamp.com
soundcloud.com/ccc-p
Anno's depressed again? I feel bad for him but also his depression is what made Eva so good to begin with.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”