Computer Stupidities

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Windows has always been using the network for various things out of the box, a few minutes of tcpdump will show a newly installed Win7 vbox VM start talking to all kinds of IPs once it's booted up for the first time. It's the same with a lot of applications that you install on Windows. Upstream bandwidth is a new one though.

The bigger concern is if there's ways to circumvent or bypass any safety measures (even if you're just downloading) to get non-Microsoft stuff (e.g. malware) installed.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:17 pm

I have a question about Windows 10 as I'm planning to get a new laptop in around a month. Is it possible to use the printer that I'm using now with the new OS? It still works pretty well and I can still buy ink cartridges for it, so it would be a waste.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:25 pm

What printer do you have? Doing a search online may yield a quick answer (Unless you already have tried)

I have ~ 10 year old HP deskjet that works flawlessly on 10 (As it did on 7) and it is from the XP era.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:01 pm

Mine's HP as well. The problem I have is that the drivers are on CD-ROM, and laptops today don't have disk drives anymore. Would the drivers be on HP's website?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:18 pm

That's where I would start. I used the driver for 7 without issue for mine, though there stands the chance 10 may install the proper drivers itself since it did that for a lot of my stuff. Best to be prepared though I think.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:59 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Mine's HP as well. The problem I have is that the drivers are on CD-ROM, and laptops today don't have disk drives anymore. Would the drivers be on HP's website?

Drives can be bought for most laptops, though. Apple started cranking them out years ago back when they first started producing the Mac Mini.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:52 am

Now that I'm hearing compatibility issues, I think I'll hold off Windows 10 until they come up with SP1.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:50 am

With HP printers (business ones) I prefer to use the drivers that Windows assigns to the more bloated ones from the HP website.

In the case of the Lexmark printer I use at home, there are no drivers post-XP on the Lexmark site, and yet Windows 7 gets it working OK.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:56 am

Win10 went on smoothly for the first 3 machines I did, but the 4th got to 80% and then rolled back; I didn't record the sub-error code, but I think it has to be network drivers given that it was through the actual install part and into the finishing stretch. So rather than just being able to leave it to cook, that means I'm going to have to find a day to spend nursing it through the process, possibly more than once.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:00 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:With HP printers (business ones) I prefer to use the drivers that Windows assigns to the more bloated ones from the HP website.

So your're saying that there are two printer drivers, one provided by Microsoft and one provided by HP? This is getting complicated I wonder if it's worth getting a Mac instead but wouldn't there be the same problems?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:49 am

In the past (I haven't looked recently), HP themselves offered the choice of a dedicated and straightforward driver for each printer or a bloated and over-featured "Universal" driver. Presumably they also supplied the drivers used by MS.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:56 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:So your're saying that there are two printer drivers, one provided by Microsoft and one provided by HP? This is getting complicated I wonder if it's worth getting a Mac instead but wouldn't there be the same problems?

I had a way of trying to get the proper drivers, in that I took only the least bloated installer after careful searching, as it was of late that they're trying to add the unnecessary into those drivers, ostensibly to improve end-user servicing.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:43 am

Is anyone else getting an invalid certificate error when making an HTTPS request to Wikipedia?

EDIT: It looks like it is trying to return non-SSL-encrypted data over what should be an SSL channel and Firefox ain't havin' that shit.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:56 pm

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/3hrii6/reminder_to_use_high_quality_surge_protectors/

Amazing that this kid should've bought a UPS in the first place, skips it in favor of a surge protector, considering how much he bought to build this high-end machine. :facepalm:

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:53 pm

I ended up buying a UPS myself a couple months ago for that exact reason. I've got about $1500 in my machine and no longer was comfortable with just a basic surge protector. It's already proven itself valuable a couple times already when we have had voltage drops for a few seconds.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:06 am

View Original PostMAGI_01 wrote:I ended up buying a UPS myself a couple months ago for that exact reason. I've got about $1500 in my machine and no longer was comfortable with just a basic surge protector. It's already proven itself valuable a couple times already when we have had voltage drops for a few seconds.

Bought a 500VA unit a year ago for the equivalent of US$36, and since then I use the computer with confidence knowing that the UPS is ready to make a save anytime the power lines go crazy.

-------
The more I read about Windows 10, the more I feel discomfited with the fact that it's working as much as Millennium Edition. -_-

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:07 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Win10 went on smoothly for the first 3 machines I did, but the 4th got to 80% and then rolled back; I didn't record the sub-error code, but I think it has to be network drivers
The code was C1900101-4000d and it was the atheros ar9200 WiFi card, which seems to be out of support (and is presumably why Toshiba didn't list my laptop model as supported for the upgrade). Disabling the device in Device Manager before trying again got the upgrade to take, re-enabling it in WinX put the machine into a restart loop, which I got out of in safe mode w/o network, disabled it again and now I'm using an old dongle I had to hand, which 'just worked'.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:57 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Now that I'm hearing compatibility issues, I think I'll hold off Windows 10 until they come up with SP1.

If you value your privacy in any possible way, you should keep off Windows 10 forever. It spies on everything you do, and even when you switch off all of the telemetry options it still continues behind your back. They better could have called it "Windows 10 Malware edition" :wife:

Worse is that if you have Windows 7 or 8 they are trying to backport their Windows 10 spying practices through Windows Update: [url]http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/09/01/microsoft_backports_data_slurp_to_windows_78_via_patches/[/url]

On top of that, the Windows 10 installer is downloaded on all Win7/8 computers, whther you want it or not. So if you have a limited data plan, and wonder why it has taken a big hit or is over quota much earlier than you expected, blame the 3-12 Gb Windows 10 installer download that was done behind your back.

Oh, and if you make use of any filesharing service for getting animes, you might find that with Windows 10 you will not be able to connect to them, as some administrators have decided that Windows 10's spying is dangerous for their practices and have banned Windows 10 users. :tongue:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:35 am

Paranoia is a wonderful thing. Pretty much everything that's collected is innocuous, as you can discover by reading around; good information is out there as well as wildly inaccurate assertions.

Cortana is a new facility (like Apple's Siri) that needs to know where you are and the sort of things you do to be useful. Think it'll be handy? Let it do its job. Think it's a cover for spying on you? Turn off the information you want to hide in the settings.

By default Windows 10 sends information to MS on your typing. That's not to steal your new novel, but to analyse your typing, the physical actions, that is, and the use of spelling correction and the like, with a view to improving them. Don't want to help? Turn it off.

Personally, I have no particular feeling about computers having the information on me that is readily available from publicly accessible sources in any case. If I want to hide some information, I simply do not let my computer have it. I dislike things like Cortana, because I don't like the idea that they may be able to know what I want better than I do - same with targetted advertising. But given an opportunity to give them misleading information, this amuses me (to no end, I admit).

Downloading Windows 10 before you ask for it; that's a real abuse, I agree. But downloading an enabling stub, that would be no more a problem than routine updates.

Dartz
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dartz » Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:21 am

I will say only one thing.

Datadisk on a network server containing mission critical information.
RAID 0.
-------m(^0^)m------ Wot, no sig?

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”