Metal Gear Solid

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:50 pm

Metal Gear is really good at equal opportunity fanservice.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:24 pm

Just cleared Ground Zeroes for the first time on a quick run-through getting a B-rank; zero detection, zero kills but 15 or so retries from checkpoints. Obviously the days are gone when I used to play this series on European Extreme.

-o-;

I want to try for a definitive save where I free all the prisoners, with zero kills, zero detections and no retries or anything. Might take me a while, but at least the Fox Engine is a lot of fun. I want to make sure I get all the content GZ can unlock for TPP.

SPOILER: Show
Also, Kaz' reaction when he sees Paz. I know that feel, bro.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:33 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I want to try for a definitive save where I free all the prisoners, with zero kills, zero detections and no retries or anything. Might take me a while, but at least the Fox Engine is a lot of fun.

Did that, and it was a lot of fun. :kaos_victory:

I want to make sure I get all the content GZ can unlock for TPP.

It can do what?!

Also, Kaz' reaction when he sees Paz. I know that feel, bro.

Wait, what reaction was that? All I remember is him being angry at her and calling her a bitch.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:05 am

First, it was revealed that those who purchase METAL GEAR SOLID V: GROUND ZEROES early on will receive exclusive DLC for use within THE PHANTOM PAIN. The DLC will only be available in the first batch of the retail version and for a limited period of time for the digital version. The DLC provides players with additional resources for a Mother Base area that will be available in THE PHANTOM PAIN. Mother Base is introduced during the events of GROUND ZEROES and plays a central role in the forthcoming METAL GEAR SOLID V: THE PHANTOM PAIN. Unlocked through downloadable code, the added staff for Mother Base will give GROUND ZEROES players an edge when they take on THE PHANTOM PAIN.

In addition, anyone that purchases GROUND ZEROES will be able to unlock exclusive content within the game to carry-over to THE PHANTOM PAIN. Prisoners of war and VIPs rescued in GROUND ZEROS will be added to the Mother Base staff in THE PHANTOM PAIN, providing GROUND ZEROES players an early in-game advantage; character skins will also be able to be carried over."

Source: http://www.metalgearinformer.com/?p=12825

:wink:
Warren Peace, #643919

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:20 pm

Yeah I've basically been hoarding soldiers in GZ since they might transfer to TPP. I'll go on a mission and capture every single one of them. It's actually pretty fun. I hope the genome soldiers I captured will still be genome soldiers in TPP, that would be awesome. I've also captured the informant from the cassette tape mission as well as Glaz and Palitz, the Eye and the Finger.
[Redacted]

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:52 am

Did much better second time around...

No way I thought I would deserve an S-rank for that, due to the amount of time and the one retry, I was expecting an A or B again.

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:I've also captured the informant from the cassette tape mission as well as Glaz and Palitz, the Eye and the Finger.

I captured Glaz and Palitz (did the mission first time but when I noticed I got negative points for killing the assasination targets, I thought I'd give it a try this way instead) but the idea of getting the informant hadn't even crossed my mind. Now I know what I'm going to be doing next, then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MGSV 'Freedom of Infiltration' alternate gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xvDvbl2fHY

Video makes me diamonds, [s]dog[/s] man. The depth of gameplay is fucking mind-boggling, and considering this is just a single side op, TPP is going to potentially have hundreds and hundreds of hours of replay value alone, not to mention the juicy main story everyone's craving for.
Warren Peace, #643919

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:25 am

I watched the preview vid... and, damn, anyone who grew up in the 80s will be getting vibes because of the music Big Boss could nick off enemies' boomboxes.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:58 pm

So being that I'm on a Metal Gear binge at the moment, I went and ordered Revengeance. Game is pure liquid wonderment but my heart kind of aches thinking about what could've been under the originally planned Rising moniker, i.e. retaining the stealth elements and the story bridging Raiden from MGS2 to MGS4.

Also, I'm actually finding the game kind of challenging, only because it's so far removed from my usual preferred style of play. For example, the first time you fight those two Gekkos I got absolutely smashed. Took me about six/seven times to pass it at least. Now that cutscene in MGS4 where Raiden takes on about four of them at the same time has all new meaning.
Warren Peace, #643919

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:16 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:10 am

One more month!
:marihearts:

I just hope my CE gets here on time. But even if it gets here late, that's fine with me. What's important is that it gets here at all, not the timing. Oh, and if I get it before release day I'll make sure to post screenshots here if I can. I had an extra week of vacation this year, so since I had nothing better to use it on I scheduled it for the week TPP releases.
[Redacted]

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:30 am

Last time I pre-ordered a game was for Skyrim and it arrived on the day of release. I'm hoping it's the same situation for TPP.
Warren Peace, #643919

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm hoping mine arrives on release also. This is one of only two pre orders I've have had in years. Last one was FF XIV Heavenward and it arrived on time.

The last month of waiting is going to be killer :lol:
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:46 pm

I hope none of the limited release DLC actually matters. I'm in the middle of other things right now and will inevitably catch up on my MGS in a gigantic multi-month binge sometime in the future.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:57 pm

We've been so busy lately that we don't bother getting any game DLC, so I'm hoping the same. Though honestly we've been too busy this past summer for video games, anyway. Definitely beyond hyped for PP!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:51 pm

Finally got S-rank on all the missions on GZ last night. The Rescue Intel Operative one is a bitch. Now I'm contemplating if I should complete them on hard mode as well. I obviously want to unlock as much content as I can for TPP but I'm not going to bust my balls to get 100% or anything.

Reveangeance update: Halfway through the Colorado sequence and, to me, this game has already lost nearly all its lustre. It kind of just feels like a chore now (fucking Monsoon) and the story and cutscenes are sub-par, and don't get me started on the game camera either. The Blade Mode stuff is still fun but I haven't really enjoyed actually fighting an enemy since the Gekkos in the first mission (maybe because it's been the closest thing to being Raiden in MGS4). Also, I don't understand the game's frustrated attempts at encouraging stealth and non-lethal action - there's practically no way to proceed efficiently with those two things in mind.

Again, I'm left with a great sense of loss and regret with what could've been with the original Rising via Kojima Productions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtM3PGyiQUc
Warren Peace, #643919

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:11 pm

Metal Gear Online delayed until October, but the PC version of MGS5 is now releasing on September 1 just like the console versions:

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/metal-gear-online-delayed-october-consoles-january-pc

And more news from the wacky world of Konami:

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/nikkei-report-bad-things-happening-konami

Suddenly I'm glad Kojima's getting his ass out of that hellhole.
[Redacted]

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:29 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:

http://gematsu.com/2015/08/nikkei-report-bad-things-happening-konami

Suddenly I'm glad Kojima's getting his ass out of that hellhole.

No kidding. After reading that, I'm not surprised at the sudden burning of bridges that's gone on with him and Konami. He's one of developers in the industry I respect the most and I'm glad to see he's getting away from that sort of environment. Though I am sad that MGS V will no doubt be the last MGS with Kojima at the helm, but I also await what projects he may take on in the future.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:59 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Metal Gear Online delayed until October, but the PC version of MGS5 is now releasing on September 1 just like the console versions

:jawdrop: This changes everything for me.

My inevitable purchase of a PS4 has been delayed yet again! :lol:

I've heard mixed information on whether or not Kojima is actually leaving Konami. I'm all kinds of confused at this point, but this report does at least corroborate claims of the toxic environment at the place.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:50 am

New trailer for Gamescom 2015 with plenty of new in-game footage and action, although it lacks the cinematic quality the Kojima edited ones have: https://youtu.be/BHrUj9G-mwc
Warren Peace, #643919

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:23 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, the moment we've all been waiting for: We have a Mother Base gameplay demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e8r_xgms4M

There is too much amazing stuff to single anything out, watch this. I expect to spend 400 hours bare minimum in this game.
[Redacted]

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”