Ever had a change of heart?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Ever had a change of heart?

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:16 am

was there ever something of EVA (an episode, a character, one of the movies, a manga chapter etc.) that you once disliked, but have now have come to appreciate?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:22 am

^
I once thought Yui was an okay lady with just some flaws, but now I just view her like soldiers did, I appreciate her evil.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:40 am

My view of Asuka has changed from "dislike" to "dislike and pity". Does that count?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:53 am

It happened while I was watching the series -- going from wishing the annoying redhead had toasted in the volcano to her being the character I felt for the most while watching episode 16.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:32 pm

Oh, of course. I went from thinking the way the show ended was shite to considering it one of the better endings of any anime I've seen.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:31 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:My view of Asuka has changed from "dislike" to "dislike and pity".

Basically this for me as well. I know she has serious problems of her own now, but it's still no excuse for how she treats others.
[Redacted]

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:09 am

After viewing The End of Evnagelion for the first time, I hated the entire series from beginning to end. I hated Episode 1 all the way to both versions of Episode 26. Then after a couple of days either something clicked or I finally snapped, and I realized that the series, EoE included, was brilliant and I needed to watch it all over again. Now it's one of my favorite TV shows of all time.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:21 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:I know she has serious problems of her own now, but it's still no excuse for how she treats others.

Then, why is she my favorite character?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Kamon-san
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kamon-san » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:18 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:After viewing The End of Evangelion for the first time, I hated the entire series from beginning to end. I hated Episode 1 all the way to both versions of Episode 26. Then after a couple of days either something clicked or I finally snapped, and I realized that the series, EoE included, was brilliant and I needed to watch it all over again. Now it's one of my favorite TV shows of all time.

This. Almost the same for me, except it took me a couple of weeks. ;)

Logoguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Logoguy » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:44 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:My view of Asuka has changed from "dislike" to "dislike and pity". Does that count?

I take it you're not a cat person?
"The world is sick because our symbols are sick... and the purest of us are its victims." -King Lear

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:30 am

I once liked the series and movie. But the more I learned about it the less I enjoyed it and eventually I ended up here.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:56 am

View Original PostLogoguy wrote:I take it you're not a cat person?

Dogs are clearly the superior pet.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:16 am

No house is complete without both.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:21 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:No house is complete without both.

Or 6 cats & 2 dogs :bigeyes:

But in topic, episodes 25 & 26... As I bet many of us did when first watching the series :lol:
All that elaborated gibberish is the perfect gift paper of NGE, and with time, one gets to appreciate the contents as much as the wrapping.
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:30 pm

I hated the whole 2nd half of end of evangelion, the shit microwaved my brain the first time. Also the movie as a whole seemed pointless with all the character dieing and Shinji ending the world and then starting over. But my 2nd rewatch i started to see Anno's abilities as a director to draw you into the world and sympthatize with the characters and understand their actions. Now its my favorite movie of all time and i love it.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

•      
  •      

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:11 pm

Shinji and Asuka (no, not what you're thinking, LAS) for their own reasons:

*I hated Asuka with a passion - after all, it was blatantly obvious that Rei's everyday life was suffering while Asuka fixated on petty problems and social desirability. As time went on, I began to see Asuka's trademark "bitch" typecast as a symptom, not a cause; she suffers quite a bit too, just not in the same ways, or for the same reasons, but it all hurts nonetheless.

*I always found some reason to fault Shinji for his shortcomings - from the "I'd do X better or differently" to "grow a spinesack". Still, I found that I kept coming back to the parallels between myself and the Third Child and eventually saw that only through the lens of adulthood can one see that Shinji handled everything he went through far better than any of us would have, and that most of us are here mostly because we are, in many respect, Shinji ourselves - not "we are like him" or "we have many similarities" - we ARE Shinji, minus the giant not-really-robots, thinly veiled Oedipus complexes, and planning, plotting jerkass dads, and I'm sure a few Shinji-identifiers have one or both of the last two.
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:After viewing The End of Evnagelion for the first time, I hated the entire series from beginning to end. I hated Episode 1 all the way to both versions of Episode 26. Then after a couple of days either something clicked or I finally snapped, and I realized that the series, EoE included, was brilliant and I needed to watch it all over again. Now it's one of my favorite TV shows of all time.

Yeah I was the same. I didn't even know how to feel after watching EoE. It was like thinking you made a new friend, only for that person to punch you in the stomach a few days later. A part of me hated the series but at the same time, I was still drawn to it. So I watched the three Rebuild movies. Enjoyed the first two but disliked the third. Then not long after, I decided to give the original series and EoE another watch and I finally began to understand why this series is so great. I watched EoE a third time and it was at this point where I fell completely in love with the film and the show as a whole.

When I finally went back to the first two Rebuild films, I realized that I really didn't care for the second one. Now that I had fallen in love with show, 2.0's simplified characters and larger focus on action no longer appealed to me. I still haven't got around to giving the third one a re-watch.
"Even just the sight of you gets on my nerves!" - Asuka Langley Soryu
"Because I'm just like you?" - Shinji Ikari

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:05 pm

I fucking hated the rebuild movies (1.11 and 2.22 specifically) on first watching, then for whatever reason a second watch and i loved them, 3.33 was something i loved from the get go.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:10 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Then, why is she my favorite character?

No idea. ^_^

I never really got the appeal of the Tsundere archetype.
[Redacted]

BC Baron
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby BC Baron » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:59 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I fucking hated the rebuild movies (1.11 and 2.22 specifically) on first watching, then for whatever reason a second watch and i loved them, 3.33 was something i loved from the get go.

Completely the opposite progression for me. When 1.11 and 2.22 first came out I enjoyed them and was actually excited about rebooting the franchise, as well as taking the story in new, interesting directions.

Then I made the terrible mistake of watching 3.33

I now view the entire Rebuild project as total dogshit.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”