What anime are you watching right now? 2H15 to 1H16

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:35 am

Ane Log episode 1

Can somebody give Moyako an award for Most Paranoid Onee-chan?! Every single thing her brother does, she overanalyzes somewhat comically but got one thinking is this all she's got? If the entire show is like this and not one inflection is made into her realizing her obsession is all in her head, imma have to take my interests somewhere else. Shame too since Moyako is well endowed for a crazy chick.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Glor » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:08 am

*sigh*

Plastic Memories

It completely glosses over almost all of the reasonable worldbuilding for the sake of a pretty typical comedy romance fest -
SPOILER: Show
BUT DAMMIT I'M A SUCKER FOR THIS CUTE SHIT. FUCK.

Like, almost all of the problems in the show could be solved by people having even a modicum of common sense. On episode 9 out of 12 right now. I'm expecting this to end in TEARS.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:28 am

Certainly a tear-jerking ending, and well handled. But the post-credits hook into a possible new series almost completely negates what has gone before, and is a fine example of something which would have been better not existing at all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Glor » Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:53 am

Aw, yeah, you know when people say "made me cry bro" when they've got the feels and are all sad and stuff, but they didn't actually cry and are just exaggerating to emphasize said feels? Yeah, no, I legit cried. Maybe it's the Brandy.

SPOILER: Show
As far as the post-credits stuff, I saw it coming. I don't feel it negates what transpired before, since we're left to assume the recycled Isla doesn't possess the memories of her previous life. If they'd pulled some crap where she, by some sci-fi magic or the power of love or some BS, managed to remember - I'd be more critical of the ending. Yeah, it probably could've ended fine without it, but closing it that way didn't hurt it either. It kind of reminds me of episode 16 of Evangelion, when Leliel tells Shinji, to paraphrase the English Dub, that he can't define his existence by turning his happiest memories into some kind of rosarie. Those last few seconds after the credits, to me, represented a brave new start for Tsukasa and co.

Well, it's, uh, 6:00 in the morning. My buzz is wearing off. So, uh, imma sleep.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:31 am

View Original PostGlor wrote:Like, almost all of the problems in the show could be solved by people having even a modicum of common sense. On episode 9 out of 12 right now. I'm expecting this to end in TEARS.

I only saw one problem in the show, and it rather pointedly could not be solved.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Glor » Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:33 am

^I meant as far as the problems with retrieving Giftias and the justification for Terminal Services existing in the first place. Instead of being like a Bladerunner squad, they're essentially very incompetent repo-men. I just wish a lot of the background stuff in the world had been expounded on beyond a brief mention of Android Protection Laws, which apparently don't allow tracking devices to be placed in Giftia.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:08 pm

Watched Kiki's Delivery Service with my mum today.

Not the best Ghibli movie I've ever seen, but still a lot of fun. Jiji was a right laugh and Kiki was a likeable character, even if she was a bit of a ninny at times. I did feel it suffered a bit from Miyazaki's habit of forcibly cramming planes into every single film he makes though. Like, the moment Tombo mentioned the flying club I just thought "OH BOY I CAN'T POSSIBLY SEE HOW THIS IS GOING TO END".

So yeah. Not his best work, but not terrible either.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:01 am

Found a way to see LITTLE WITCH ACADEMIA 2. Really really liked it, content wise and for what it represents. This is pretty much much how I'll remember Trigger for.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Glor » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:01 am

Kids on the Slope

I mean, what's coming next is kind of spoilerish, but I'm not tagging it.

Man, what an awesome ride this was. Plastic Memories was mostly a shallow heartstrings tug-fest, where the only reason there are Giftia and a 9 year life-span is so the show can go for an easy emotional response at the end. It was still enjoyable to watch once I realized all I was in for was a cheesy and goofy animu romance, and I'll probably end up watching it again because overall it was very entertaining.

But man, Kids on the Slope is a fantastic story about a handful of kids who've lost their way and are trying to find themselves, discovering solace in one another's friendship in a world that's been less than kind. But adolescence and carefree days can't last forever. To kind of paraphrase the show, real life is a lot like Jazz - random and unpredictable. Things rarely ever go as we plan them and the evolution of the characters is nothing short of exceptional throughout their bittersweet experiences.

Show was me gusta.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:08 pm

Got off my lazy butt and finished the 2 Ys (pronounced "ees") OVAs. Any series where
Character Role  SPOILER: Show
Wakamoto is the ultimate big bad
and Mitsuishi (as Lilia) has an important role are a-okay by me! :lol:

Off to start up Ys I & II Chronicles+ :asuka_thumbsup:

Heh, had Reichu not let me know about the Lilia - From Ys - soundtrack so many years ago, I wouldn't have known about this series (or where some of Shinji's SDAT tracks come from).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:19 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Heh, had Reichu not let me know about the Lilia - From Ys - soundtrack so many years ago, I wouldn't have known about this series (or where some of Shinji's SDAT tracks come from).

Did we get titles at some point? I thought all we ever got were numbers.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:36 am

Almost finished watching Gurren Lagann. On episode 20 of it right now. The story seems a little slow, but seems like it will pick up in the next few episodes
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:19 am

View Original PostEvangelionGodMode wrote:Almost finished watching Gurren Lagann. On episode 20 of it right now. The story seems a little slow, but seems like it will pick up in the next few episodes

Oh Gurren Lagann- now those were the days! (that 2yr frame with Lagann, Geass and Macross, man epic combo)

Finally started watching Knights of Sidonia; heard it was a bit like Geass and Attack on Titan so picked my interest, after not having watched an anime in a long time. Hopefully it will be decent.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:03 pm

View Original Postthe_seventh_child wrote:Finally started watching Knights of Sidonia; heard it was a bit like Geass and Attack on Titan so picked my interest, after not having watched an anime in a long time. Hopefully it will be decent.

I watched about half of the first season before time constraints made me drop it, I still have to pick it up but it's pretty good stuff.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:58 pm

Aquarion Logos episode 4

More exposure on Kokone's background and more fanservice makes for an improvement over what has been shown so far.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:40 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:I watched about half of the first season before time constraints made me drop it, I still have to pick it up but it's pretty good stuff.

Having watched through both seasons I have to agree. Some folks hate the character designs and/or CG, but if you can handle those the story is rock solid.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:11 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Did we get titles at some point? I thought all we ever got were numbers.

You are the only one and Aoi (Blue) Legend are the songs. :) Fall in Star is also in the show (all 3 in Eva 1.0, too).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:19 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:You are the only one and Aoi (Blue) Legend are the songs. :) Fall in Star is also in the show (all 3 in Eva 1.0, too).

Ah, I see. So no track list, but peoe recognized the tunes? Makes sense.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:32 am

Finally got around to watching the final episode of Unlimited Budget Works.

I suppose it says something for how tedious the series has become now that they had to insert a 1-minuite long fight scene just to liven it up a bit.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:07 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Ah, I see. So no track list, but people recognized the tunes? Makes sense.

They're the last three tracks on the Evangelion 1.0 OST Album (in the "Bonus" section), so not hard to discover.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Old Stickies”