All Evageeks should watch HBO's True Detective

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:06 pm

I am also liking s2 much more than the majority viewership.
I will concede it was slow the first 3 episodes but the end of e4 and this episode kicked things more into high gear.
The Shootout was fantastic.
I think all 4 of the primary cast is doing good jobs, I do like VV and honestly I was looking forward to him the most and I'm shocked I am saying this but... he is restraining himself too much IMO.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:15 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Agreed, things are moving too fast after doing absolutely nothing the last few episodes straight. Clearly the shootout was pointless filler to spice it up mid-season because they know it's getting boring.

I think the mid-season shootout is a pretty clear illustration of the contrast between the two seasons. In season 1 the 'shoot-out' was a clever subversion of the viewer's expectations. In season 2 it's played straight and mostly for excitement value.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:28 am

Gendo's Papa pretty much nails it. This season isn't BAD by any stretch, but it's not on par with the last by a long shot. It feels like someone trying to do a homage rather than a sequel, though the acting has been pretty consistently great even with some utterly ridiculous dialog to chew through.

Nic Pizzolatto needs to get it through his head that audiences want twists though, demand to be surprised and thrilled. Even the first season was a letdown in this regard... as soon as the framing device of the interviews was removed it was a downhill slide. Simply going through a plot checklist doesn't cut it anymore, and it's not that we've been 'trained' to want it, but that we demand more effort than he's putting in. The bar has been raised: I want deep characterization AND an engaging, complex plotline AND thrilling surprises AND great dialog AND a bit of eye candy.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:20 pm

I'm loving S2 but I'm so sick of the S1 worship that it's actually having an adverse effect on my appreciation of it. I mean, for fuck's sake, it's like people just want Rust Cohle Mystic Warrior Poet 2.0 when the series was stated to be an anthology from the very beginning.

S1 was sunlight on snow. A beautiful fleeting moment, as GP said, that was "lightning in a bottle"; Cary Fukanaga really brought a strong singular vision to Pizzolatto's obviously treasured script and McConaughey blew everyone away. People can go back and rewatch it whenever but it's time to move on and do something else now, and that something else at the moment is Ray, Ani, Paul and Frank, and it's good shit.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Nic Pizzolatto needs to get it through his head that audiences want twists though...

You should watch some Miss Marple, bro; more plot twists than you can shake a stick at.

:tongue:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:47 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I'm loving S2 but I'm so sick of the S1 worship that it's actually having an adverse effect on my appreciation of it.

Are you me?!? I tried rewatching the first two episodes of S1 and honestly, Rust's diatribes started to grate on my nerves. I'd rather watch the interactions between Ani, Ray and Paul then a camera centered on Mcconaughey while he spews a bunch of nihilistic observation.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:04 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:You should watch some Miss Marple, bro; more plot twists than you can shake a stick at. :tongue:

...maybe. maybe.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:42 am

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Are you me?!?

Call me Ishmael.

Geddit?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Holy fuck, what an episode. I think tonight's has probably been my favourite by far. Captivated from start to finish with so much suspense and emotion, and that fucking end bit was like something taken straight out of Eyes Wide Shut.

SPOILER: Show
Also, I'm guessing the skinny police lieutenant is the Birdman now after Frank's phone call with that girl. Makes sense why he'd use non-lethal/riot rounds on Ray, then.
Warren Peace, #643919

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:29 am

Really? I thought the episode was rather dull in general. Lots of talking at gunpoint, yes, but there's a few episodes to go so you know nobody important is going to die because "rubber bullets lol". The Mexican guys are fucked up, yes, but the party was actually pretty tame. The latter should have stayed a mystery, free to be whatever hellish things you can imagine and then some rather than just a high class hooker party.

Honestly the only things of real interest are 1: did the mayor adopt those jewelry heist kids? and 2: clearly Ani got molested in creepy uncle beardo's hippie van, but then that's been sort of implied for a while now.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:04 pm

I liked the episode, the whole party sequence was pretty good.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Honestly the only things of real interest are 1: did the mayor adopt those jewelry heist kids?

That's what I thought too, the kids in the photograph look like Chessani's son and daughter. He was probably involved in the diamond heist and adopted them since they were the only witnesses.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:24 pm

I gotta say I am loving that for all the cliche dark material True Detective season 2 is treading in - child abuse, murder, prostitution, sex orgies, etc - the show is not wallowing in it in the most in your face & tasteless of ways.
I liked the orgy party last night because they didn't embrace the old "It's not TV. It's HBO" cliche. I was waiting for a 5 minute montage of the camera ogling hot, perfect bodied girls engaging in hardcore sex acts. Instead they smartly kept it to Ani's perspective where it was just glimpses.
I've kept waiting for the obligatory scene where Taylor Kitsch viciously beats a gay man half to death out of self-hatred & I've applauded them for not going there. Only two episodes left for them not to mess that up.

It's a solid season. Alas it is messy & suffers when following up a great work of art.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:47 am

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:...the whole party sequence was pretty good.

That music really made it something else: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH3HQqEEz6U
Warren Peace, #643919

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:11 am

Tonight's thoughts
Ray and Ani hooking up: :yippee:
Frank burning (literally) the people trying to screw him over: :yippee:
Paul dying: :argh:

Also, the finale is gonna be 90 minutes!
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:15 am

What an absolute nerve-racker! I am so primed for the finale now.

Out of our four main characters, I think Paul's dying is somehow the saddest. All he wanted to do was what was right and be a good man. I couldn't help but bury my face in my hands when Burris stepped out of the shadows behind him, that fuck. He seems to make a habit of doing that. Unfortunately they aren't going to be riot shells this time around.

Also, how Blake says no one knows who murdered Caspere; I wonder if there's any weight to my mid-season hypothesis, or if it's the diamond heist orphans out for revenge...

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Also, the finale is gonna be 90 minutes!

Awesome news. The next seven days are going to be a long wait.
Warren Peace, #643919

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:45 pm

Frank taking his ball and going home I liked, but the rest? Not so much. Good shootout scene I suppose but once again the plot leaves me very meh. Felt like most of this episode was just stalling/setup again since we didn't learn anything about anyone who matters that we didn't already know.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:06 pm

Should anyone be interested, there's a really clear breakdown of the case/story so far over at Slate: http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/08/03/true_detective_season_two_a_guide_to_the_plot_of_this_confusing_season.html
Warren Peace, #643919

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56 am

The story seems decent but I just can't get past how atrocious the dialogue is. Matthew McConaughey can sound credible saying lines like that, but Vaughn and everyone else usually just sound ridiculous. It also helps that Rust was the only guy in S1 who talked like that when S2 has everyone talk like that.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:37 pm

I love Frank/Vaughn's dialogue. It's so hammy and quirky, which is a perfect fit for the character; sometimes it just straight cracks me up, other times it's genuinely thought-provoking. The line about the "little blue balls in my heart of hearts" is a great example (and I'm paraphrasing there). I wish I talked like that. It's a far cry from Rust's jaded, nihilistic ruminations and observations though in my opinion.
Warren Peace, #643919

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:11 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I love Frank/Vaughn's dialogue. It's so hammy and quirky, which is a perfect fit for the character; sometimes it just straight cracks me up, other times it's genuinely thought-provoking. The line about the "little blue balls in my heart of hearts" is a great example (and I'm paraphrasing there). I wish I talked like that. It's a far cry from Rust's jaded, nihilistic ruminations and observations though in my opinion.

Some of it just sounds stupid imo. McConaughey was a talented enough actor to pull it off and it fit with his character. But Vaughn just sounds like a parody spouting lines like "Life dealt me a bad hand, ray, but I worked at it. I got all the cards together until I became the fuckin' dealer. But now we're playin' chess." and "My father once told me a story about how at the height of the cold war, the space race, the Americans were investing millions of dollars into developing a pen that could write in space. The Russians? They used a fucking pencil. That's me, Ray. I'm the fucking pencil. Casper's killers knew this, and now they're trying to erase everything i've ever built." are just ridiculous in any context.

Line like "Spare me the sententious talk. It's picayune and unctious" are just the cherry on top.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:35 pm

Welp, that might be the most underwhelming finale I have seen to a television series.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:42 pm

I actually liked that they went for "bad guys win", but that bit at the end with Bezzerides holding her son was cheesy as hell. The undelivered message from Ray was great though.

Return to “Film and Video”