What anime are you watching right now? 2H15 to 1H16

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:47 pm

I have actually seen it, i still think its shit tho.
And yes i know that was directed at ray.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:55 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:school days is a generic piece of shit even by harem standards

How? He actually fucks the girls.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:07 pm

OK generic wasn't the right word............well it still applies for the episode before he fucks all the girls but after that what i mean is even by harem standards the plot and characters are just plain BAD.

You know what's ironic?
Makoto is actually the best written character in that show, he is still badly written like really badly written but compared to the girls? holy shit its not even a comparison, they just throw themselves at this guy when he does NOTHING to warrant it, he doesn't act cool he doesn't stick up for them, he isn't even that assertive towards them, he is the blandest of bland and yes i know the point is that its meant to be a deconstruction of that shit in harems but it doesn't exactly work that way since an ACTUAL deconstruction would maybe give some dark or legitimate reason as to why they all want him so much and then turn that on its head, this is coupled with for the most part an utter lack of personality which really makes it all feel worse, they might as well have been faceless for all they added to everything.

And then you come up to the biggest problem, while they were building up to the ending the entire time it seems needlessly pointless and mean all in all, like they specifically built up makoto so that you would despise him by the end and want him dead but if they were trying to go for something like that why not make him likeable in the beginning and hell keep him somewhat semi-relate-able in the very end somehow and that way when you kill him the point that they were trying to get across about temptations would have come across better.

But instead the characters, the terrible plot and pacing, the plain bad execution makes what might have been an interesting idea into a steaming pile of shit.
School days irritates me so for the same reason sonic 06 does i see potential, and i see it being stepped on so that it can spew out its current state.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby drinian » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:38 pm

I kinda feel like I have to watch School Days now.

Speaking of which, I just finished all of the World God Only Knows series and I think that I can see why fans of the manga felt shortchanged. There's a lot that's glossed over, and I wonder if the protagonist grows a bit more in the manga as well. It's still an entertaining, meta take on the genre, though.

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:20 am

Looks like I'm gonna have to throw my hat in the ring. I'm solidly pro-School Days. Not saying that the writing is outstanding or anything, but it does accomplish something that no other anime really does. To the people critiquing School Days as a weak "deconstruction of the romance genre" (as well as those defending it on the premise I'm about to address), consider that School Days is not a successful deconstruction because of the protagonist's success with girls, but because of the overall tone and attitude of the work.

(spoilers ahead)
SPOILER: Show

School Days is an interesting deconstruction (and when I say interesting, keep in mind that it takes more than just a tweak on the formula to interest me) because it becomes an exercise of brutality upon the viewer's sensibilities. There's a question of whether the team behind School Days intended for this, but I'm going to invoke Roland Barthes and say that, even if it was just a "happy accident," the creators of School Days brought into the world something that functions as a unique meditation on human cruelty and banality. School Days is especially cruel to those who view slice of life shows as an affirmation of humanity's better angels, as an escape from the brutal logic that often informs real life human interactions.

So many of these characters are a twisted mockery of their stereotypical slice of life counterparts. We have Makoto, who is the nondescript protagonist that encounters a variety of beautiful girls. This iteration of the main character is not only sexually aggressive (in a way that is sometimes creepy), insensitive, and extremely cowardly, he is also "rewarded" throughout the later episodes by being specifically sought out by beautiful girls for sex. Makoto, through his interactions, is the primary vessel through which School Days communicates its misanthropy (and possibly misogyny) to the viewer.

Sekai and Setsuna are a parody of the girl next door, the sensitive, good hearted female friend who weighs her goodness against her desire to be with the main character. Of course, their "goodness" and sensitive natures hardly get in the way of their goal of sleeping with Makoto (and hurting people in the process). Their roles as the "girl next door" are expressed not in their behavior but in the excuses they make, the way they frame and rationalize their decisions. Watching these girls wring their hands over their scummy behavior is another one of the masochistic joys that School Days offers.

Then the side characters are taken to higher levels of nauseating cruelty. Looks like Makoto's best friend Taisuke isn't doing so hot with the ladies. So what does he do? He rapes Kotonoha. Looks like the older girls are going to pull a prank on the younger ones. Oh wait, you mean to tell me they're showing footage of the younger girls having sex to bully and humiliate them (and there's one character--a girl with short hair--whose sole purpose in the show seems to be the victim of said humiliation)?

I'm not saying that School Days is going for realism (although it incidentally does ring more 'true' to me than half of these slice-of-life shows. I always hated high school anyways). I'm saying that School Days is all the better for being exploitative, for being mean, for lavishly fattening up Makoto for the slaughter, and for seeming so indifferent to the suffering in the world it creates (the happy-go-lucky theme song never changes, unlike, say, Madoka Magica's ending after the third episode). When we get to the bloody, psychotic end, the nausea has been built up to such a peak that I can't help but be impressed by the work of art that has aroused such a feeling in me.

I could probably go deeper, but I would have to rewatch it, and I'm not sure if I actually want to do that.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:18 am

Is Attack on Titan good? I've become interested in it, although it was also very popular until recently so I'm not sure how close it is to 'mainstream' works in terms of plot depth and quality.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:42 am

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Ranma 1/2

The Manga is much better IMHO. It's more character-focused (relatively... the supporting cast is still enormous) and manages to slip in a bit of drama between the comedy and action bits now and then.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:35 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Is Attack on Titan good? I've become interested in it, although it was also very popular until recently so I'm not sure how close it is to 'mainstream' works in terms of plot depth and quality.

Attack on titan is basically like hellsing, its main selling point is the action and gore but there IS a deeper story under there its just most don't pay attention to it and it doesn't get in the way.

Until chapter 50 anyway because that was supposed to be the end of the series but the author changed the ending because he liked it too much and now the writing suffered a bit.
Basically watch the anime subbed (i don't know how good the dub is it might be great i just have not seen it), its great.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:38 am

So, marathoned two shows yesterday (I know, I don't know what I was thinking either).

The first was Let's Go Play!, which Funimation for some reason called "Cat Planet Cuties". It's a harmless little harem comedy that's noteworthy for the fact that the MC doesn't suck and the girls actually have a fair bit of depth (episode 8 in particular has some dramatic payoff, as one of the characters goes into full EoTV mode. It's just for the one scene, but it's pretty effective). Overall it's kind of like what you get when Nadesico meets To Love Ru with shades of Excel Saga and some other shows thrown into the mix. Unfortunately, the tone is all over the place (bits of drama here and there, lots of action, and then episode 9, which had me going "where the hell did that come from?" It was a very good episode, but also very out of step with the rest of the show) and the main girl (Eris, a catgirl) is boring as hell. But even so it's worth a shot if you find ecchi tolerable.

The other was Yuri Kuma Arashi (yes, I know, complete tonal backlash, I don't know what I was thinking either). I would place this above Maworu Penguindrum, since it's more consistent in theme and tone, but below Revolutionary Girl Utena since the latter has a far more interesting supporting cast and explores more universal themes (better music, too, but that's true when comparing Utena to just about anything). Once you get that the central conflict is between legitimate dykes and mainstream girls in S-class relationships everything falls into place and the show becomes one hell of a ride. Analysis here is spot on and very good.

Apart from that, what the hell is going on with Gatchaman Crowds: Insight? Two eps in and that show is an absolute mess. I hope it gets a sense of direction soon and actually starts saying something.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:46 pm

Is anyone else watching Aquarion Logos? I feel that it could be part of a franchise big enough to replace my desire to watch Macross anymore. Considering they both come from Kawamori, that's saying something.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Slutty Kuroneko saved GATE from being dropped. I actually want to know where this is going from here. Also there something about this cocky fantasy roman military trying to take on a modern fighting force and getting absolutely their shit pushed in. It's incredibly cathartic.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:Is Attack on Titan good? I've become interested in it, although it was also very popular until recently so I'm not sure how close it is to 'mainstream' works in terms of plot depth and quality.

I think the pacing sucked and the changed ending was needlessly obtuse. IMO read the manga. If you like it you can always try the anime later.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:25 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:The Manga is much better IMHO. It's more character-focused (relatively... the supporting cast is still enormous) and manages to slip in a bit of drama between the comedy and action bits now and then.

Also, Happosai is a lot less freaking annoying in the Manga. In the anime, he's JarJar Binks.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:17 pm

It alternates every arc between really good and just decent enough to watch. Think of it as alternating Windows versions, except you have to go through the weaker arcs for continuity's sake.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:00 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The first was Let's Go Play!, which Funimation for some reason called "Cat Planet Cuties".

The exact same show I'm watching! :D I just used the Japanese name instead.

Anyhow, I'm now 4 episodes in and this just keeps getting better and better. First the terrorists and the CIA were the threats, now it's a militant catgirl-cosplayer cult! The laughs just keep on coming. And I've known about catgirls for a long time, but this is the first time I've ever seen a dog-girl in an anime. Woof.
[Redacted]

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:15 am

View Original PostCompiling_Autumn wrote:When we get to the end, the nausea has been built up to such a peak that I can't help but be impressed by the work of art that has aroused such a feeling in me.
This chap. This chap gets it.

Although you did fail to point out its merits in teaching good, wholesome Christian values (spoiler) too.

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Bombshells from the Sky
I've known about catgirls for a long time, but this is the first time I've ever seen a dog-girl in an anime. Woof.

Watch Magician’s Academy (Macademi Wasshoi) instead. It’s got all the worst things about Chinese cartoons in it, only done right.

Sega Hard Girls

Following a recommendation from Anime World Order, I gave this a watch. It’s an 11-minute episode show, so it was no huge investment of time.

For a show about three anthropomorphised games consoles chatting a little and undertaking silly challenges- this turned out to be a lot more entertaining than it had any right to be.
The consoles occasionally enter the worlds of old Sega games and proceed to both make fun of and pay tribute to them; I was always a Nintendo kid and never saw much of the Sega stuff, but that said- it didn’t hurt my enjoyment of the show at all.

As you can see from the screen cap, the show’s 3D modelling isn’t exactly top of the range stuff, but the aesthetic does fit the video game theme very well. It’s cheap and charming.

Saturn is best console.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:04 am

Akuma no Riddle: It's a rather lame waifu collector's version of Dangan Ronpa, but at least it's mostly watchable. The bonus episode OVA on the other hand is a nice encapsulation of things wrong with modern anime. The main series pulled a slight miracle by having a very solid plot relevant beach episode that even had some actual riddles in it, so of course that had to be sabotaged with this anti-continuity sludge.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:32 pm

I have no interest in the Attack on Titan anime or manga but I will happily watch the live-action movies when they come out later this year.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:39 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Is anyone else watching Aquarion Logos? I feel that it could be part of a franchise big enough to replace my desire to watch Macross anymore. Considering they both come from Kawamori, that's saying something.

Also something i wanted to convey is that one reason i hold off on watching anything Macross related that i haven't seen yet (namely Frontier) is because the 3D animation on the combat and the idols feels all over the place while Aquarion's feels more solid but then again, this is going off the limited experience i have so any input on the differences and similarities so i can make a clearer decision on what to watch would be greatly appreciated.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:18 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:Watch Magician’s Academy (Macademi Wasshoi) instead. It’s got all the worst things about Chinese cartoons in it, only done right.

I like Asobi ni Iku yo/Let's Go Play/Cat Planet Cuties/etc. way too much to stop watching it, but I might check that out after I finish it.
[Redacted]

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

There was ONE raven, not Ravens, what the hell? B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:18 am

Tokyo Ravens.

Inoffensive, but also pretty bland.

There's three good things I can say about the show; one is that the powers were worked into the world well enough that I'd almost put it on Harry Potter's level. Certainly they were better thought-out than Bleach's "Demon magic" or whatever.

Secondly, the cause of conflict is perhaps a little creative; people are obsessed with the main character as they think that they're the reincarnation of the modern founder of everyone's power. Violent fandumb at its creepiest.

Third, making the peg-leg Sensei the breakout action hero.

But there were two things that confused me, first, what is a "familiar" anyway? If human beings can be one, what changes exactly?

Second; what were the final antagonists fighting for? The only cause I could surmise was "for (spirit) science!"... But why did they want it so badly?

I thought the final cause would turn out to be trying to reincarnate the ancient founder, Abe no Seimei. That's why Yakou, the modern founder, worked so hard on the reincarnation ritual, and why they pinned their hopes on winning WWII with it.

But nope, never explained. Yakou tried the ritual, it caused "the great spiritual disaster", yet we never found out the "who" or "why", other than maybe using it on himself... which would itself need explaining.

Without knowing the stakes, it's kind of hard to tell whether the characters are doing the right "thing" at the right moment, other than other characters going all "blah aha I'm evil", thus inferring that their plans are bad by association.

What I'll probably remember most:

*Thinking that the show was going to permanently kill off the main girl. I should have known better.

*Ohtomo-Sensei reminds me of a someone I knew in high school. A Spanish teacher who lost his leg in a skiing accident. Like Ohtomo, he could surf.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Old Stickies”