How seriously do you take shipping?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

How seriously do you take shipping?

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:45 pm

Do you consider it to be serious business or trivial?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:51 pm

I don't ever think of it as "serious business". It's people taking characters that they think should be in a relationship and putting them together through fanfiction or fanart-- I couldn't think of it as being anything but trivial, really.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:54 pm

You'd be surprised after what iv'e seen on the EVA Reddit page
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:27 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:You'd be surprised after what iv'e seen on the EVA Reddit page

It's true, the Ramiel shippers are rabid :V
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:54 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:You'd be surprised after what iv'e seen on the EVA Reddit page

Stupid obsession is not the same as serious business.

And I guess most of might be said here has been covered in this thread.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:05 pm

That thread asks the big question. This thread asks the simple question

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:06 pm

I love what I wrote here regarding stepmom Rits :lol: so I'm just gonna link to it: https://forum.evageeks.org/post/787184/Is-there-a-deeper-reason-we-pick-our-ships/#787184
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

honsou
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby honsou » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:17 pm

Oh man when I was a younger teenager I took it super seriously, like "I will only read AxS fan fiction" seriously. Now its just one of those things that is nice to think about and almost nostalgic to remember the times when people would get into horrifying flame wars about this stuff.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:20 am

LRS fics should have tracking numbers so I know when my shipping will arrive. :D
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:29 am

I take shipping in that playful, funny, 5-year-old mashing a Ken and Barbie doll together in the face sorta way. Especially Mari x Asuka. Any more seriously and it takes all the fun out of it for me.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:46 am

I go back and forth between caring immensely to not caring at all.

Seoul Gamer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Seoul Gamer » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:07 am

There isn't really anything to take seriously. The only plausible ships are all well and truly sunk in the actual show.
Be warned, I may occasionally ask stupid questions.

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:45 am

To be fair, there does seem to be a small slither of hope for SxA in the final scene

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:17 pm

I think it's cute. As a hobby.

But it's when people start to criticize & speak ill of the original or new official works in the ongoing story BECAUSE it doesn't support a person's favorite ship that I start attacking it viciously.

I also despise it when people start attaching it to their identity because that's just sad.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:16 pm

The real question is how seriously does one take shipping and handling. :shifty:

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:25 pm

View Original PostSeoul Gamer wrote:There isn't really anything to take seriously. The only plausible ships are all well and truly sunk in the actual show.

Nah. Everyone died, but they'll get better. :lol:

As to the question in the OP, it depends: if I'm writing it I take it very seriously, but otherwise I'm kinda "eh" on the topic.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:43 pm

Shipping (SxA) was a lot more serious in the early days of the site, enough that my "but there's no there, there" stance got me labelled as a notorious anti-shipper.

Today, things have mellowed a lot.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:42 pm

It's rare; but there are even sites that forbid shipping! :wink:

Yes, that's the policy at the QC forums.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ChaudSept
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ChaudSept » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:02 pm

I really don't take it seriously, I also mainly don't care. Though when the anime is trully about love and stuff (or when it is a good part of it), it's appropriate to concider it!

However, crossover pairing... I just find it pointless.

Shinji x Eren

Yes it's a thing.
At the very Beginning is playing.
Imagine. You’re driving home, you’re in a forest and the road is straight. You can easily see the skyline. Night is almost upon you yet you feel the sun behind the clouds. The sky gets darker and darker as the cumulonimbus spread shadow across the land. Rain drops lightly it seems as though they’re announcing the venue of something greater. All the way down the horizon you see a storm forming. You keep driving, the clouds doesn’t scare you yet you worry. You should. The tempest is fully formed, now the song is midway and you see light, white light illuminating the vale. The lightings are close even though the thunder remains quiet to your ear.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:09 pm

Not seriously at all. Fanfics are good for exploring the possibilities, though. But, honestly, Eva itself isn't about romance. If you want romance, watch Kare Kano.

Other than that, it's bullship.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”