Post your health problems!

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

Post your health problems!

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:14 pm

Well today I was diagnosed with Shingles. Wooo! Only about 540 cases for people in my age group in the US every year. And, I have a fever of 101.1, and the virus has agitated my asthma so I can hardly breathe. I have to miss a week of work and half a week of school, starting today when I missed a test in multivariate calc. I really hope I don't have to take an "incomplete" in the course, but wow I feel like total shit.

Shingles is a resurgence of the chicken pox virus that usually occurs decades after you first get chicken pox. It really sucks, and I feel like I
m dying! (lack of oxygen and all).

My asthma is only aggravated by viral infection.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Executor
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Executor » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:15 pm

Damn, dude. That's really bad.

I dont really have any, and I'll keep it that way. More excercise.

Zkh
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zkh » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:35 pm

I have allergies.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:38 pm

In the last year or so, I've started to need glasses for close-up work, or reading in low-light conditions.

But my main health problem is MS. My wife has it, and I'm her carer. It sucks.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:49 pm

Wow Tines, i'm sorry. My regards to your wife.

Anyway, a few years ago, I got diagnosed with PNH, which is short for Paroxysmal Nocturnal Hemoglobinuria. Basically, I piss blood every second morning, my hemoglobin levels regulate at around 90 (that's bad), so my blood cells can barely carry oxygen, so i'm always drowsy, all the time. I'm at constant risk of thrombosis (blood clotting). It's essentially a deficency of the proteins in the cells in my bone marrow, making them defenceless, causing them to die really fast, so I produce far less blood cells than the average human being.

Yeah, that's my medical issue.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:54 pm

I don't have any real medical issues except poor eyesight and being half deaf, lucky me. :D
Some of the things you guys describe sound scary.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:57 pm

Damn, slothen! Hope you get to feeling better!

Anyway, I had asthma when I was a child but I "outgrew" it during early adolescence, weird deal. The only time I really get "sick" nowadays seems very seasonal (or at least when there is a radical change in climate). Like from 80 degrees (Fahrenheit for all the weather geeks keeping score :wink:), nice breeze and not a cloud in the sky, to below 40, overcast, ridiculous wind gusts and pouring buckets of rain, or vice versa, within 48 hours. This only happens to me about once or twice a year and can last anywhere between a few days to a few weeks depending how radical the weather changes around.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:45 pm

Recently passed Kidney Stones, about the size of grapes.

Was on morphine though, could've blown my arm off with a .50 and I wouldn't feel anything.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:51 pm

Ive got this

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eczema[/url]
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:55 pm

Severe astigmatism (11/20) and bipolar "disorder". I often sleep so long that forget what day it is, and I don't care. Perhaps I need more fiber.

I used to have a 'roid from when I was heavier, but I got that sucker sliced. Now I can ride a bike with the best of them. (Those things hurt like hell. Kids, don't spend too much time on your asses.)

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Mundane » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:08 pm

Man we're so filled with diseases. Though technically all I get is Hives often.

Not wussy ass hives either, these motherfuckers travel in big old clumps.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:21 pm

I had migraines nearly every day for 8 years (ages 12-20). I'm not talking about headaches, but lay in a dark room, scream, cry, and pull your hair out migraines. Was pulled out of school at 14, and put on a home program (not "homeschool"). Finally had to quit even that at 16.

Went to doctor after doctor and nobody could find anything to help long term. Had so many pain shots they couldn't get the needle to into my hip anymore because of scar tissue. Finally, they put me on a steady dose of morphine which keeps me really tired and dopey but functional. Apparantly, migraines can be inherited, and nearly every one on my mom's side of the family has them, as well as several on my dad's side.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:59 pm

Man I feel down right healthy next to you pholks.
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:10 pm

Man, I just got done taking the 10 hour long Medical Boards Exam, and this is the kind of topic I see here?!?!?!? NOOOOO!!! The test just ended and you guys are already giving me flashbacks.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:20 pm

I'm just going to quote Coach Z by saying, "I have more than two prablums!"

That said, this thread has the best title I've ever seen.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:43 pm

BrikHaus wrote:Man, I just got done taking the 10 hour long Medical Boards Exam, and this is the kind of topic I see here?!?!?!? NOOOOO!!! The test just ended and you guys are already giving me flashbacks.

You know, I did this just for you. Oh yeah, and the rash has turned to vesicles filled with yellow-clear fluid. I've read up on it, and soon that will turn to puss, then blood. Damn I should post some pictures. These things are raised off my skin like half a centimeter.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:21 pm

Periodic episodes of depression and anxiety.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:53 pm

I was pretty much entirely healthy up until this year (barring extreme nearsightedness), but strange things have happened. A cautionary tale...

So, about a year ago, I pried up a toenail while wearing sandals. It got a fungus infection. No big deal.

December, I start a 3-month course of Lamisil to get rid of it. First prescription medication I've been on in 5 years. I'm still convinced that stuff's dangerous in a number of ways.

January, I get a sinus infection.
February, I get an antibiotic-resistant staph infection on my legs. I also start having panic attacks, from at the least a combination of not knowing what was up with the infection and terrible heartburn caused by the Lamisil.

Actually, EM, when you interviewed me for the documentary I was on Klonopin, a sedative. Didn't mention that at the time. Kind of dulls the brain, and addictive, I'm glad I was only on it for a few weeks.

So the infection got resolved, and I went off Klonopin... and ended up unable to sleep for 3 nights. Some more stuff happened, and my stomach healed up from the Lamisil, I missed about a month of work, and now I've been diagnosed with anxiety. Zoloft for that. Seems to be working, the side effects are pretty minimal.

Went to Japan, came back, had another staph infection by the time I got back, and that's where I am now. Antibiotics and antidepressants.

I can't get any doctor to care, but there are a number of people who claim that Lamisil made them incredibly anxious, not to mention a lot of other issues not in the official prescribing information like long-lasting immunological deficiencies. At least I didn't lose my sense of taste. Bad stuff. Causative of all my problems, maybe, maybe not, but probably a contributor.

Still, I think a lot of people here have much worse (chronic) problems. It's amazing in its complexity, the human body.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:58 pm

slothen wrote:You know, I did this just for you. Oh yeah, and the rash has turned to vesicles filled with yellow-clear fluid. I've read up on it, and soon that will turn to puss, then blood. Damn I should post some pictures. These things are raised off my skin like half a centimeter.

If this thing is messing with your asthma, then it must have reactivated in one of your thoracic dermatomes. Hey, you should be glad that it didn't decide to wind up in the most common location.... the face!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:12 pm

Drinian: If it's one thing I've learned in my 8 years of migraines and being prescribed 100 gazillion medications it's that you simply HAVE to look up and research anything that's prescribed to you. Don't rely on doctors. Don't rely on warning labels. Different medicines effect different people different ways.

I've had so many people in my family on medications that screwed them up more than it helped them. Had one on an anti-depressent (can't remember which one, not Zoloft) that after coming off it was going through suicidal depression, anxiety, and physical withdrawl effects. After looking it up online we found forums devoted to people going through the same hell and it was really, REALLY scary.

It taught me to simply research anything you're prescribed, and be careful to watch for anything that happens to you that's unusual (physically or mentally) while on it.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”