ITT: What are you working on right now?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed May 20, 2015 4:51 pm

So I've been doodling and came up with this character concept simply called "Boost Girl" inspired by obscure Japanese shoot-em-ups like Panorama Cotton and Harmful Park, with a healthy dose of Bubblegum Crisis (which I seriously need to watch) and general OVA boom anime. It's kinda rough because it's a pencil sketch and I was working with an incredibly blunt HB pencil. I'm planning on colourizing it in GIMP though, preferably with delicious late 80s/early 90s excessive shading.

Rocket powered cyborg dakka playboy bunny  SPOILER: Show
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Working on a new fursona

Considering my last real thread, I get it. Being a furry is too taboo, literally worse than being a communist, it's worse than being an otaku, I need to seek mental help, etc etc etc.

BUT

I didn't like my old one. It was a cat. Seriously, there are enough cats in the fandom as there are. I changed to a sheep.

Baa-aaa-a-a-a-a (feed me grass)

She looks like this
SPOILER: Show

I guess the other thing I'm doing is working on Korean. My sister said to learn the Hangul writing system first and understand what they mean, and conversation second. I'm a little slow,but I have about 35 days.

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Am I allowed to show a gory zombie sculpt?
WHERE'S PAUL VERHOEVEN WHEN YOU NEED HIM

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:58 pm

I'd have thought so. Spoiler it if necessary.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:11 pm

Okay, here goes.

Polymer gore ahead:

8.5" mixed media. My first time making a zombie-themed thing. Just got done replaying Biohazard 2 (Resident Evil 2) which was my personal fave of the classics. The dogs in the basement gave me trouble again so I was motivated to make something with them. Turned out pretty gross and was great fun. I also decided to put it up for sale.

I'll do a full-body dog and zombie that evokes a piece of the concept art I remember in my head when I'm free to do more of that kinda stuff. Schedule is pretty crazy right now so I don't know when that will be.

Finished my Shibuya Hachiko miniature replica as well.

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:21 pm

^ That's really cool, although I think it would have been even better with a darker color for the bloody bits - now they look a bit artificial.

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:30 pm

Thanks! A few people said that after I showed... although I was working from the game concepts which are all brightly colored and I wondered halfway in if I should go more realistic or not; just decided I'd leave it since I was already using one glaze and wanted to see if it would darken in the oven. It did, but not a whole lot.

I think when I get to the next one I'll definitely go darker and more realistic. Real blood is almost black in big quantities and zombified flesh no doubt would look part rotten, purplish, yellowish, bruised, bloated, and I guess drained.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:23 pm

So yeah since there was a big giant disscussion about Tg issues on the forum recently I figured I would talk about revealing the identity of a tg character in my comic. I kinda wanted to go for something different then the usual sort of stuff for reasons I explain in the comments in my comic, I copied them below

Gemini's past gets revealed, I kind of hinted at it a bit here and there such as on this page

http://parasitegalaxy.webcomic.ws/comics/126

But I'm not sure if anyone actually managed to guess what her secret past actually was.

In fiction and anime especially there are a lot of tropes revolving around TG characters and I kind of wanted to do away with that with Gemini.

In general fiction you usually see these quite a bit

The flamboyant stereotype

the saint on a pedastal that is just meant to gather sympathy

In anime you get these other tropes quite a bit

The dumb tough guy who turns into a girl and causes shanagans ensue as they try to change back

The effiminate guy who wants to be more manly but changes into a girl instead causing shanangans to ensue

The bland dude with no defining personality whatsoever who becomes a girl causing yet more shanagans

I wanted to do away with all that, one of the reasons why Alien is considered a ground breaking film is because of Riply who is one of the first characters who just so happens to be a woman and doesn't really let that fact define her character. I wanted to do the same thing with Gemini and avoid all of those tropes especially the first two as they can be very annoying and tend to turn up quite a bit. While Gemini can be a very sympathetic character as we will see in the next few pages she is certainly no saint either and is often willing to do things that could be considered quite villainous to get things done. of course as someone who is tg, that aspect of her character will become important to her character development at times, but the point is I don't want her character to revolve around that like so many other fictional tg characters tend to do. There are other things that define her as a person besides that and that is part of the reason why I waited until now to reveal her past.

if you want to read the actual comic page here's a link or you can click on my sig though that will only lead to the page in question for the next couple days before the next update, so here's the link

http://parasitegalaxy.webcomic.ws/comics/227
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:59 am

Working on a couple more Biohazard/Resident Evil 2 themed sculpts

I have fun with mica chips and concrete effects. . .

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:21 am

^ Those are awesome. You should sell 'em on Etsy--Especially if they have Barry quotes on them. :lol: "NOW who's the master of unlocking?" (Revelations 2 really is the best of the modern RE games.)

I'm very happy that my fan-project of several months is finally complete as of yesterday...I think that's it for fan projects. :tongue: Extremely draining/time-consuming.

Enjoy my Sailor V visual novel, folks! http://forum.evageeks.org/post/799698/The-Official-Sailor-Moon-thread/#799698
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ieyasu
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Ieyasu » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:32 am

Cheers. :>

I do sell pretty much all my stuff, usually on my own store or privately as Etsy want a cut. If I can sell them without adding more to the bill I do.

I haven't had a chance to play the game with Barry in it, yet. I'm amused he got a little spotlight for once, though. Barry learning over a pool of blood and beard strokin' might make a good sculpt for the laughs some day.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:52 pm

View Original PostIeyasu wrote:Barry learning over a pool of blood and beard strokin' might make a good sculpt for the laughs some day.

I think my boyfriend and I would buy that in a heartbeat! :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:27 pm

I decided to play around writing a simple variant of BASIC. I found a BNF description of the language and I'm writing a parser for it that converts a valid BASIC program into valid C++ code. I have learned a lot about recursive descent parsers while writing this.

The C++ is outputs is god awful, but it works. Slowly, but surely, I'm adding the various different constructs one is used to in BASIC. I think the only one I will not be able to implement is GOSUB/RETURN. The ability to call and return from subroutines is extremely important, but I don't think I would be able to represent that in C++ without things getting extremely complex. C++ has label/goto mechanics, but they don't keep track of the jump point, I don't think. I'll look into it. In time I may rewrite it to output to a sort of bytecode, but that's for another time.

Very simple example input.
The produced output.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:28 pm

I loved writing compilers.

Adding peephole optimisation to a recursive descent compiler was fun; I wrote it as a separate program scanning the code emitted from the parser, and then combined them to run as co-routines - i.e. in parallel, with two stacks, but handing control back and forth using constructs that looked like procedure calls. Worked a treat, and saved the need for intermediate storage!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:42 pm

GOSUB is deprecated or gone in many dialects of Basic these days in favour of real function calls.

Since your program state is global in the *_variables lookup tables, you could look to implementing GOSUB as a simple function call in the simple well behaved case (where you don't GOTO into the body of a loop, GOTO to or from the middle of a GOSUB block or anything weird like that -- at least "Return w/o Gosub" should be an error anyway).

[code:1]100 PRINT "Hello"
110 Name$ = "Alice"
120 GOSUB 2000
130 Name$ = "Bob"
140 GOSUB 2000
150 END
2000 REM This is a subroutine
2010 PRINT "Hi"
2020 PRINT "Your name is "; Name$
2030 GOSUB 3000
2040 RETURN
3000 REM This is another subroutine
3010 PRINT "Tralala"
3020 RETURN[/code:1]

becoming

[code:1]int main(void) {
std::cout << "Hello" << std::endl;
str_variables["Name$"] = "Alice";
GOSUB_2000();
str_variables["Name$"] = "Bob";
GOSUB_2000();
return 0; }

int GOSUB_2000(void) {
// This is a subroutine
std::cout << "Hi!" << std::endl;
std::cout << "Your name is " << str_variables["Name$"] << std::endl;
GOSUB_3000();
return 0; }

int GOSUB_3000(void) {
// This is another subroutine
std::cout << "Tralala" << std::endl;
return 0; }[/code:1]

The interesting bit will be moving the code block (or at least a forwards declaration) up the file.

Otherwise, setjmp/longjmp may be the tools you need, as you won't be creating things with non-trivial destructors that would be hit by stack unwinding. Satisfyingly, return w/o gosub causes undefined behavior in this approach.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:37 pm

I'm in the process of scanlating a short Touhou doujinshi. It'll probably be done within the week. My avatar is a crop of the cover page.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:03 am

My interest in aviation is probably well known, as is my passion for the visual arts, but around the past week or so i just realized another hobby/inclination i had, which is singing. I always liked music and dabbled in the study of some instruments and musical theory in my teens, but life being what it was back then it didn't really pan out to anything... Just recently i realized how much i enjoyed to sing and how liberating it felt, and even when i naturally want to get better at it i'm ok to practice at a very leisury pace since essentially this is a past-time to both wind down from the day's work and another small personal refuge from life.

I'll admit however, that i didn't just post here to write about my most recent interest, but also to share a small doubt towards it... Simply put, i have no idea where to begin. What do i practice, and how? How can i be sure i'm practicing right? Is there anything i should look out for? What are the terms to search for? Where do i look for the learning materials to start? Etc.

So yeah, basically i discovered i really like singing and would like to get good at it but have no idea of how to do so or where to look.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:21 pm

I wrote a really simple (and probably badly written) Python script that generates code/header pairs for C and C++. One thing that annoys me is having to create file pairs for C++ because it's pretty much the same code over and over again that has to be put in each file (things like include protections, class declarations, etc).

With this, I just pass it the parameters I want and it spits it out for me. No more having to do my own protection code (which is almost identical between files).

http://pastebin.com/WkKrBhan

Explanation of what it does.
Run this:
[code:1]makecpppair --namespace EvaGeeks --class Shitposter Catamari[/code:1]
And it will generate this in the .hpp file
[code:1]
#ifndef CATAMARI_HPP
#define CATAMARI_HPP

namespace EvaGeeks {
class Shitposter {
public:
Shitposter();
~Shitposter();
};
}

#endif
[/code:1]
and this in the .cpp file
[code:1]
#include "Catamari.hpp"

namespace EvaGeeks {
Shitposter::Shitposter() {}
Shitposter::~Shitposter() {}
}
[/code:1]

EDIT: I just caught an error. It should generate the #include with less-than or greater-than, but with quotes. Derp.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:29 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:One thing that annoys me is having to create file pairs for C++ because it's pretty much the same code over and over again
Probably the number one reason I rarely use the language when I'm not being paid to.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:11 pm

I've begun to type out the revisions to my novel. I should be done within a few weeks.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”