What anime are you watching right now? Summer 2014

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

One unique aspect. B/

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:36 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:^ Isn't Kona the girl with the collective personality of 4chan imbedded within her?

Yes, but to be clear, her topic of *conversation* (and outburst) aren't what I was getting at.

It's her tendency to mumble, her pauses, speaking in a gravely tone, and the pitch her voice rises to when she feels she's saying something funny.

Her mannerism are close enough to the mark that I get the feeling the writers must have studied someone who talks like this to make her.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:38 pm

Gunbuster episode 2

We're now in space and we get introduced to Jung who I can tell was a huge inspiration for Asuka down to the well endowed body, red hair, and attitude. I did feel that her rivalry with Kazumi started randomly as if to create drama out of thin air as it got resolved quickly. I would've loved to have seen it last at least one more episode. I also took note and was impressed by the show's perception of lightspeed when one compares it to the method I usually saw in Star Wars where time elapse don't seem to mean squat. Overall, 6.5/10 and I will be sure to keep watching.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 9:35 pm

Finally got around to finishing Cross Ange. Eh... had it's moments. Could have done with less pointless fanservice and outright rape attempts (and not wussing out on plot developments around ep23), but not too bad for a show so desperately borrowing elements from Macross, Gundam, RahXephon and Code Geass.

Notable for failing the Bechdel test in reverse... barely any dudes worth naming (three total, I think?) and they really have nothing else to talk about that doesn't lead back to fighting over Ange in some fashion.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:12 pm

JoJo Part 3 finished.

ROAD ROLLER DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Great journey all around.

I'm going to miss my weekly stands and fabulous men doing manly things.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:43 pm

Plastic memories I suppose it was inevitable that Tsukasa would have to sign Isla's retrieval form; but ouch all the same! At the moment it feels as if they're not going to pull a personality transfer out of the hat, but will go for a straightforward bitter-sweet ending - however, what Isla just said to Sarah suggests that they might try something, not least so that they can do another series! Even so, a new series couldn't match this one because it is the inevitable ending that makes it distinctive.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:50 pm

Yeah, I honk they're gonna play it straight. Oh dear gods, next week is gonna hurt!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Cutting myself is preferable to watching this... Bl

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Grisaia No Raken
I will not watch episode 10, I will not watch episode 10, I will not watch episode 10...

After seeing the new entry for ep 10 @ animeseason, I found myself thinking "Nah, not going to watch, I mean I didn't even bother to catch the last---".

I stopped there, as I realized to my horror that I did catch episode 9. Memories came flooding in of phoned-in revenge angle on the MC from a "good guy" character that the series, two episodes from the finish, has only just *now* decided to properly introduce.

But when did I...?

Meh... To their credit, after establishing she wasn't going to kill the MC for now in deference to the larger threat, at least the series didn't then go on to make any overtures of her becoming love interest #9. #10 if I count the yandere terrorist antag; it's admittedly a toss up as to whether it's the MC or his sister that he truly *wants*.

Just to say, I counted the sister as a love interest just now. I did this as the show implies, in a moment that I'm sure is straight from the dating sim itself, that they did something.

... Ah, right, that's probably why I repressed the memory of watching it. :facepalm:

**** this mess.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:48 am

Having reached "Yes! Yes! Yes!" a month ago, the motivation to grind through the rest of Stardust Crusaders has been lacking; and I never found a worthwhile B-feature for my Saturday morning 'toons after finishing Yama no Susume S2 back around Easter -- as a post-PMMM mahou shoujo, 2013's Gen'ei o Kakeru was amazingly bland, and failed the 3-episode test.

Inasmuch as I'm watching anything ATM, it's the occasional bedtime episode of Strike Witches, which holds up very well on a revisit -- Yoshika's oppai-envy just gets a bit tacky, though.

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Cutting myself is preferable to watching this...
No sympathy for self-inflicted injury, especially when it involves a harem series that isn't even getting much attention on /a/, which normally eats that sort of thing up. If I interpret your comments correctly, then perhaps you should go to the back catalog and pick up Yosuga no Sora instead.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

No more drawing dicks WHERE THEY DON'T BELONG. B(

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:05 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:No sympathy for self-inflicted injury, especially when it involves a harem series that isn't even getting much attention on /a/,

S2 started out well enough, it (retroactively) gave the MC an arc, and in so doing took his season one Marty Stu profile down a peg. Although... it still didn't explain his savant emote skills. If anything, he should be nigh-retard there given his background. Sousuke Sagara looks more realistic next to that.

I suppose I was sort of hoping for more of the visceral horror the last story of season 1 offered. Which itself takes me by surprise, as I've never harbored an interest in things of that nature before.

Regardless, that doesn't seem to be happening, and the Asako story aside (which besides acting on the Misato-Shinji relationship *tension* so casually it had me doing double takes; itself wasn't anything to write home about) it's been pretty milquetoast.

If I interpret your comments correctly, then perhaps you should go to the back catalog and pick up Yosuga no Sora instead.

What the... Why are there two shows involving twincest and the name "Sora"? And why did *I* have to know about either?!? Quit injecting coitous into my childhood, Japan! Quit it!

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Wed Jun 24, 2015 9:57 am

Are you guys implying that YnS isn't a 9/10 series?!?
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:34 am

YnS gets possibly the worst review of a show I've read: http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=1303
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:18 am

It's well earned.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

Postby chazthesilencer » Fri Jun 26, 2015 2:00 am

Charlie Brown’s Bizarre Adventure: Punch-Ghost Crusaders
The final showdown started off better than it ended; that weird super-saiyan aura was distracting; the green lips looked goofy; and the farting sound effect of za warudo activating was just plain silly … but those things aside- a satisfying ending this was. I’m glad I was able to watch it pure and relatively unspoiled, which was no small miracle.

Far too many highlights in this show to mention, but a few favourites include Steely Dan’s glorious 20 second pummelling; Avdol’s triumphant “Yes I am!”; and the moment which made my cheeks sore:

A most excellent adventure.

Yamada-kun & the 7 witches
Unsurprisingly- this has been very dull to watch. With every episode I find myself turning more and more into something I hate: one of those geeks who says things like- “the mango did it better”.

Honestly, what’s the point in simply colourising and abridging a comic for TV? (I know, I know. Money. To hell with art.) Who wants to watch rubbish they’ve already read anyway? I can’t imagine how outraged the readers of JJBA were to watch its adaptation above… oh, wait…

View Original Postsomeone or other wrote:(Yamada-Kun’s comic) reached a satisfying enough end at chapter 90
Here’s hoping the upcoming, animated adaptation covers up to that point too.

It would appear that this is exactly what will happen… which I now think is kind of disappointing. An annie-may original ending might have been good for a laugh here.

MY Love STORY!!
Urgh, 3 eps in and I’m getting diabetes… otherwise, it’s fine.
Yamato’s doll-face is more creepy than cute. Reminds me of Simoun’s Neviril.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:07 pm

UBW 25:
OHOHOHOHOHO
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Hachiman is steps away from the promised land... BP

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:24 am

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Comedy wa Machigatteiru. (Oregairu) Zoku Finale

Well, first, I'll admit here that I made a mistake earlier.

These stories aren't from the bonus Volume 6.5. Rather, they're from the newly released Volume 11. Ergo, episode 12 last week was *essentially* a sneak peak. This confounds me as I could have sworn I heard there was a Iroha-student council-Valentines request story in 6.5, but, meh...

~Anyway~, nuances this episode abound, and in my first watch through the dialogue was admittedly losing me. Not since Evangelion have I had a need to so carefully scrutinize the verbage; looking up and watching multiple subs so that I could triangulate what the most probable meaning in the scene was.

For instance, Haruno mentions how Yukinoshita imitated her in the past in one translation, but not in another. In the latter, she's translated to have said "...been watching you all this time to decide what should be done". The latter sort of sounds like she's beating Yukino over the head that she can't make a decision, and is insisting that her own decision making ability is superior.

This may not be out of character for Haruno, but I don't think this was the true meaning, as it doesn't track as well with what follows. "Can you really talk about your own ideas?". Harping on the imitation act better justifies why she would be calling out Yukino's lack of self; rather than insisting that she herself is better at something.

Really, it's all just making me anxious to get my hands on volume 11. The same to moments like when Haruno calls Hikki "nice", which are just begging for his thoughts to spill out and describe what it is he feels she's provoking. He doesn't remark on it, but I don't think Hachiman is unaware that she's essentially been pulling strings the entire episode. Yukino and Yui staying together was itself likely her intention, as was the whole "date".

That Shark pet thing; Hikki acting sarcastically to Yukino's comments. Haven't seen that in a while.

"They tend to stay with one partner until one of them dies"

Uh, lets hope this isn't foreshadowing, eh? -o-;

"Yukinoshita should solve her own problems herself"

This most of all is why I needed to review the scene. At first I thought this sentence was comparable to what Yukinoshita said to him back in the "genuine episode" (right before he opened up, and she ran away).

But that's not it. Rather, it's addressing directly Yukinoshita's "reliance" problem. It wasn't simply Hachiman trying to once again reinforce distance between himself and the girls.

Though, that equally isn't to say he wasn't trying to invoke distance entirely. His words "I'll end up with nothing"; I'm uncertain of it, but it sounds to me that his pessimism is still guiding his thoughts.

So to wrap up: Series ends on a cliffhanger. This season successfully moved Yukinoshita from being a close (if adversarial) acquaintance, to a full-blown love interest, and got Hachiman to expose the true desire of his underlying his actions. Up to the Genuine episode, Oregairu Zoku worked pretty great, but it proceeded to rush its story in the episodes following, which severely cramps the quality it had otherwise been bringing.

Regardless, it's well worth the watch; it was the second season all by itself that convinced me to invest in the story to begin with, and it hasn't left me disappointed.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:13 am

Plastic Memories 13: They played it straight. I knew it was coming, but damn, that was a punch to the gut.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:14 pm

UBW end

Semi-enjoyed the first season but the second half was pretty frustrating to me. I can't stand Shirou, the fights sucked, the story and dialogue were like written by someone who scribbles Cold Steel and Dark Flame Masters in his note-book and Shinji gets a free jail card at the end. also not enough Rider in this shitty route

seriously though, I'll stick to the VN for now

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 29, 2015 2:33 pm

Not continuing straight into PRISMA☆ILLYA 2wei Herz?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:20 pm

Not so much right now, but i will watch Dragon Ball Super, God Eater, and Monster Musume. I'm a bit iffy about the last one, as ecchi harems are shit almost by definition, but Sora no Otoshimono was cute, so not all of them are bad.

Also, i'm stretching all of Evangelion's tv series, Sadamoto manga, and Rebuild out over a course of 22 June to 1 January. I'm also watching Utena, and plan to watch Zeta Gundam and rewatch Do You Remember Love pretty soon.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:45 pm

Decided to watch the new Rozen Maiden to completion.

Holy shit that English dub. It's painful to listen to for the five seconds it takes to change the audio and enable subs. What was the budget for the dubbing? A potato? The dolls' voices are not fitting, at all. Jun's is even worse.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Return to “Old Stickies”