Feminism in Evangelion

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Ispellnogood » Sun May 31, 2015 6:19 am

Sexist language right there: you meant "adult", the correct opposite of "child" in your next sentence.

Do you think "A Mans Fight" is sexist of the show and should be changed to "An Adult/Grownups Fight"?

So Gendou's just this regular guy in your view? Riiight...

Gendo's a man with a closed heart. WHose actions which forcably open and unite all other hearts are portrayed as a good and right thing by the show.

It isn't any of the males (excluding Shinji) who are killing toddlers, killing clones, being bitches, breaking down in tears.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 31, 2015 6:26 am

View Original PostIspellnogood wrote:I think you’re over analyzing things too much, and the use of such a bold word like “feminism” is inappropriate.

I am only repeating what the show says. If it’s “overthought” or “inappropriate,” then you’ll have to take this up with the filmmakers responsible for the episodes in which these issues were discussed and explored using the characters as written.

And, yes. Shinji’s character is about escaping reality. But that doesn’t mean that the show doesn’t also hit these other various points along the way. It just means that these other various points are being explored in a greater context. We cannot discard the nuance for the big picture, nor can we try to interpret the big picture without the nuance. They are intertwined and rely on one another in order to accomplish their goals.
PM me if you want specific spoilers for Shin Eva 3.0+1.0, but don't want the whole movie spoiled for you!

Live-Action Lofi Hip Hop Radio beats to relax/study to

[Twitter] [YouTube] [Twitch]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sun May 31, 2015 3:12 pm

Gendo tangent pruned. Carry on with the original thread topic.

There are many other places for the other topic(s) to be raised again if you like, but this isn't the place.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Ispellnogood » Sun May 31, 2015 3:39 pm

I am only repeating what the show says. If it’s “overthought” or “inappropriate,” then you’ll have to take this up with the filmmakers responsible for the episodes in which these issues were discussed and explored using the characters as written.

And, yes. Shinji’s character is about escaping reality. But that doesn’t mean that the show doesn’t also hit these other various points along the way. It just means that these other various points are being explored in a greater context. We cannot discard the nuance for the big picture, nor can we try to interpret the big picture without the nuance. They are intertwined and rely on one another in order to accomplish their goals.

That’s true but only to an extent. There are a lot of nuances in eva that have little substance. I think keeping a believable cutoff point in place is important to keep thoughts and theories from turning into intellectual masturbation.

I don’t agree with it, but I do see what you mean concerning Gender Confusion. Hell the bit where the Rei clones have Shinji’s face put on them could be proof. But it could also be Shinji’s desire to have her relationship with Gendo,
Or it could be Rei being Shinji’s replacement. Or it could be the Rei clones being empty husks that reflect the person watching desires back at them like a mirror. Or it could have something to do with Shinji being the last person alive with choice in unit one, and the clones being ready to do whatever he wishes.

I think Shinji’s one pure character trait is simply someone who escapes reality, and I prefer to define all his actions through that.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Do I have to say it again?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL

Ispellnogood
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Ispellnogood » Sun May 31, 2015 3:51 pm

that on topic isn't it?

nostalgic_beer
Embryo

Postby nostalgic_beer » Sun May 31, 2015 4:25 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:nostalgic, you have a bunch of feminists telling you what feminism is. And you are telling us that it is not the thing that we are telling you. The absurdity of this is astounding.

And what is this?

You've contradicted yourself in the same paragraph.

No, I haven't. Situations where men are underpowered aren't addressed in feminism. The problem is that you're so brainwashed by this "feminism means gender equality" that can't even understand what I just wrote. If men's issues were really addressed in feminism, than such bizarre things as masculinism wouldn't exist in the first place.

You say that my definition is too limited, ok. So if feminism is about gender equality, why do we this atrocity as feminism:

Radical feminism is a perspective within feminism that calls for a radical reordering of society in which male supremacy is eliminated in all social and economic contexts.

Indeed, this is truly gender equality, and wonderful for men. Thank you all for enlightening me.

The only, only definition that can hold all this feminist insanity together (all these movements and still be called feminism), is "empowering women against patriarchy". Period. And we don't have that in Evangelion.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun May 31, 2015 4:36 pm

View Original Postnostalgic_beer wrote:Situations where men are underpowered aren't addressed in feminism.

Wrong.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sun May 31, 2015 4:45 pm

If one insists on inventing their own definition of "feminism" based on what they think it ought to be and declares everyone else "brainwashed", then methinks it might be best to just let the thread alone.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun May 31, 2015 4:57 pm

Nostalgic_Beer, INoSpellGood, meet Third Wave Feminism. It'll be happy to tell you guys all about gender equality and other things like that.
PM me if you want specific spoilers for Shin Eva 3.0+1.0, but don't want the whole movie spoiled for you!

Live-Action Lofi Hip Hop Radio beats to relax/study to

[Twitter] [YouTube] [Twitch]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 31, 2015 5:01 pm

Since we have once again reached the point where there is going to be an explosion of irreconcilable definitions of the F-word, time for a cool down.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”