Vintage gaming options

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat May 23, 2015 7:58 am

If you want to have a good time you will buy either PS3 or a PSP.

Benefits of a PS3
-Region unlocked. You can buy games from Japan, USA, EU etc
-Huge library with new games coming out at least until 2017
-Disc backwards combatibility with all the PS1 games (and PS2 games if you can find the 80gb launch model)
-PSN from where you buy most of the PS1 games and a huge library of PS2 games.
-It will cost you a lot less and save you from a lot of trouble finding games for a PS2

At this point PS2 just isn't worth it. All the good games you can find them either in PSN or in HD Remasters in the cheapest price.

Benefits of a PSP
-Huge library that despite it's age you can find every game online by searching a little.
-Region unlocked.
-PSN from where you can buy most of the PS1 games
-It is a ''vintage'' console released in 2004 in Japan

If you really want a vintage console then your only options is Nintendo 64 or a Saturn. But get ready to spend a lot of time for searching and lot of money for games.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sat May 23, 2015 8:19 am

View Original PostFalcon_of_the_Sun wrote:People should be more forgiving about the first 5-7 years of graphics on consoles. Most developers were reasonably unprepared and unskilled at the time, since 2D sprites and graphics were the way just before. You just couldn't expect everybody to gain overnight the experience and skills that Sega or Namco had from being top-notch arcade game developers. Still, by the time Saturn and PS1 came out, 3D was the buzzword and it was necessary to have polygon graphics to basically sell, not matter how bad other things could be with regard to the game.

Being fair, I totally love the low-poly graphics and unfiltered textures on the PS1. (Not so much the vaseline filter on the N64), I'm just saying that, personally, PS2-era graphics seem too "good" to be retro.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Sat May 23, 2015 9:43 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:Being fair, I totally love the low-poly graphics and unfiltered textures on the PS1. (Not so much the vaseline filter on the N64), I'm just saying that, personally, PS2-era graphics seem too "good" to be retro.

They will look bad the moment you plug the console on a 50" HDTV using a YUV cable, I guarantee you
:D

For DIMA:

There's a reason some old games are now sold for some 200 USD or so: they are that good to the discerning gamer and they stood the test of time. This could open a whole new thread, but the fact that "artworks" of wildly different quality retail for the same price is kind of insane in the first place.
Why on earth a BD or DVD of the first Alien should have a similar retail price to that of Alien vs Predator when the former is an absolute masterpiece and the latter a total piece of trash?
Although it's undeniable that the actual number of copies circulated before discontinuation plays a role, I just love how the price of old games really is reflective of how good they were according to most people.

Also, I wouldn't recommend PSP to anyone unless I wished fulminating repetitive strain injury/carpal tunnel syndrome/other maladies upon them. But I guess millions of its users survived, so it must be me. Plus its library is hardly retro or vintage...

CX1329
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby CX1329 » Sat May 23, 2015 1:04 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Okay, games genres I like: racing games (there's a few vintage titles I'd love to try, one of them is Ridge Racer

Racing game/sim enthusiast here.

The PS2 has a wonderful variety of great racing games, if you're interested. I'd recommend Kaido Racer, Kaido Racer 2, Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3, Battle Gear 3, Racing Battle C1 Grand Prix and maybe Auto Modellista, but that's a game you will either love or hate because of the odd handling model (especially as far as the US version is concerned). I also like Initial D Special Stage, which might be right up your alley if you're into Ridge Racer, seeing as they both feature extremely loose, drift-heavy handling.
Sapientiam autem non vincit malitia.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat May 23, 2015 3:26 pm

I still love my old little PSP. The gaming library--including PS1 Classics you might have missed the first time around--really is wonderful, I think.

While I do want to get a more modern(?) handheld system like a DS or Vita sometime, I think the PSP was somewhat overlooked with how nice it is.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Wed May 27, 2015 6:16 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I still love my old little PSP. The gaming library--including PS1 Classics you might have missed the first time around--really is wonderful, I think.

While I do want to get a more modern(?) handheld system like a DS or Vita sometime, I think the PSP was somewhat overlooked with how nice it is.

The PSP was a lovely little system, I still have mine which I got for Christmas 2005 kept well in the Logitech Armour Case with custom Eva inserts I made. It did well for itself, struggled at times but has a good library and the fact that it could play PSOne titles was a good boost for it as it went on.

The analogue stick was dreadful though, remarkable uncomfortable to use.

I actually just ordered the Evangelion 3nd (?) Impact game for my PSP, looking forward to it finally arriving.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed May 27, 2015 3:06 pm

For anything pre-6th generation I'd heartily recommend emulators. No need to worry about physical storage space for all those consoles and games, most sources of .roms and .isos are free, and (generally speaking) games actually look better on an emulator than on the original hardware- I assume because it's running off of superior hardware. I've played Wind Waker on my PC and it runs in borderline-HD at 60FPS. (More on that below).

For anything 6th-generation or later (excluding handhelds and oddly enough the Gamecube) just buy the original hardware. I tried running a PS2 emulator and it's unstable as all hell. I'm not actually sure why- I assume because it had fairly unique and complex architecture that's hard to replicate via emulator, and also because IIRC the PS2 actually uses a 128-bit processor. Oddly enough my Gamecube emulator- Dolphin- works extremely well, and doesn't even need a Gamecube BIOS (most emulators of disc-based systems will need a separately sourced BIOS to work).
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Wed May 27, 2015 11:42 pm

Also to add to the above post, if you use emulators (for 2D systems like SNES): for the love of God and all that is holy do not use a goddamn smoothing filter, that ruins the look of the games.
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Thu May 28, 2015 12:23 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:Also to add to the above post, if you use emulators (for 2D systems like SNES): for the love of God and all that is holy do not use a goddamn smoothing filter, that ruins the look of the games.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu May 28, 2015 12:27 am

+1 more on that. Pixels are awesome.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Thu May 28, 2015 3:41 am

A couple of games for the SNES that I could mention are Super Punch Out and the SNES Fire Emblem games.

Both of these tend to be overlooked, with the Super Nintendo Punch Out being my favorite in the series honestly.

Thracia 776 is ridiculously hard, but with great music and one of the only passable stories in Fire Emblem, is able to convey the feeling of constantly being chased very well. The sprite graphics for the game are beautiful as well. And you get to play, as Leif, the Shinji of Fire Emblem.
SPOILER: Show
He is constantly in over his head, being told conflicting things from all directions, constantly worried about running away, and debatably becomes an asshole by the end of the game.

These represent another reason to get emulators, though. With Super Punch Out, it's either going to be very expensive or you'll be emulating it anyway on the Wii. The Super Nintendo Fire Emblem games were never released in English, so you'll have to use an emulator to get the translation patches.[/spoiler]
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Thu May 28, 2015 6:30 am

View Original PostAiko Heiwa wrote:(for 2D systems like SNES)

*cough* StarFox *pedantic* *cough*

;)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu May 28, 2015 10:19 am

I never understood using the smoothing filters...Pixels all the way!

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Logitech Armour Case with custom Eva inserts I made.

Get out of my head, that's how our setup is. :tongue: The Eva inserts are just the birds flying after Quantum-Rei shows up in Eva 1.0 (always thought it was a lovely shot).

3nd Impact (a pun on "Sound Impact") is fun but a little confusing with some of the games. I think it's a good rhythm game option for sure.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Thu May 28, 2015 11:15 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Get out of my head, that's how our setup is. :tongue: The Eva inserts are just the birds flying after Quantum-Rei shows up in Eva 1.0 (always thought it was a lovely shot).

Mine is something I knocked together myself, got Asuka, Shinji & Misato along with Eva Unit 01 and the logo on the front. The back insert is just the NERV logo. I'll have to upload a photo to my Twitter or post it here sometime, I keep on meaning to upload pics of my Eva collection here.

3nd Impact (a pun on "Sound Impact") is fun but a little confusing with some of the games. I think it's a good rhythm game option for sure.

I was wondering why it was '3nd', makes sense now. I'm enjoying it so far, the music is good and the mini-games aren't too bad. It is at least an Eva game I can play, at least until the day I have my own studio and somehow get the rights to make my own :P

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri May 29, 2015 2:59 pm

Oh, I agree that a PS1 would be a "better" vintage gaming system, but why buy that if the PS2 (and PS3) can also run PS1 games? Another reason for the PS2 is that it's easy to find, unlike the PS1.

Regarding emulators, I am somewhat limited due to the PCs I have here, which are all from 2005 or earlier (except my work laptop...). I mean, the Pentium II (1998, a nice and fairly vintage PC with lots of RAM for the time...) is great for older PC games and playing DVDs, but emulation under Win98SE... -o-; My older laptop is a PowerPC Mac, which causes its own fair share of problems with DOS/Windows-based stuff (i.e., no go). Then there's my Dell Windows XP PC, but that one is more meant as a workhorse for office stuff and, as such, is already pretty loaded with software (doesn't help that Dell's boneheaded early PATA/SATA set-up runs both off the same bus, meaning you can't actually hook up a large SATA drive if it already has PATA drives :rolleyes: - I guess I could add a SATA card inside...). As for my work laptop, it's for work.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sat May 30, 2015 9:49 am

In regards to emulators and being limited by your PC, have you considered buying a Wii for cheap (can get 'em for like $50 or less now) and installing the Homebrew Channel on it? That's what I use my Wii for, I emulate NES, SNES, GB/C, GBA, Genesis, Game Gear, and Master System on it.

Plus, the Wii can natively output in 240p, if you still have an old CRT lying around. ;)

(If you do choose to go this way: do not get the Wii Mini, AFAIK, there is no method of installing homebrew on it because they removed the SD card slot...)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:18 pm

Well, this just went in a slightly different direction than initially planned. After looking at various options, I went with a Sega Saturn instead of a PS2. Imported straight from Japan, because the price of a complete system + a bunch of games on Y! Auctions Japan seemed to be 25-50% of the price of the base console only as sold by shops in my country. So instead of paying 80-120 Euros :rolleyes: for a European Saturn I will be getting a Japanese Model 1 Saturn with two controllers + 13 games for about 40 bucks (won the auction recently and I know for sure it was tested and worked before shipping). Guess I'll use the money I saved to buy some game lots and additional peripherals (I've seen some for 20-40 games for as low as 1,000-2,000 yen).

As for the games that are included with the system in the auction I won: Daytona USA, Manx TT, Virtual-On, Fighting Vipers, Virtua Fighter 2, Nights into dreams, The Tower (SimTower Saturn port), and some other stuff...

Then I'll need an Action Replay cartridge to be able to play games from all regions, sort out the cabling to hook up the Saturn to my HD TV, and a step-down transformer to change the 230 Volts that comes out of the wall here to 100V - the first two things would also have been bought if I had chosen a European Saturn, the third will run me around 30 bucks from Ebay.

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Nice one!

Remember the Saturn has an internal memory for game saves. It is powered by a CR2032 lithium battery. I suggest you buy a new one once you get the console and use the new one. The internal memory system may not hold all the data from your games, but that's a good start while you sort out a memory card.

Finally, below is a good chart of the top 20 saturn games as voted by the forum of Sega Saturn UK, it's a reliable selection

[url]http://www.segasaturn.co.uk/beta/news/top-20-sega-saturn-games/[/url]

^_^

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Jun 06, 2015 9:01 am

^ I'll do that.

Additional stuff obtained today:
- Hori Fighting Stick SS (arcade stick).
- HF adapter (so I can at least get some sort of image while I figure out how to best connect the Saturn to my HDTV).
- Another 20+ games including Sega Rally, Bomberman, Grandia, most Sakura Wars games including the limited edition box with the Saturn mouse, Puyo Puyo, the first two Eva games, and some typical 1990s visual novels (which I'll probably get rid of).

Sheesh, I figured I'd give myself a budget of 10,000 yen (before shipping) for the stuff bought from Japan, but I've only spent 4,000 up to now... :boingy:

To do: analog controller x2, VCD card for better MPEG playback (if one isn't included with the Saturn), RGB Scart cable...

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:58 am

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:^ I'll do that.

Additional stuff obtained today:
- Hori Fighting Stick SS (arcade stick).
- HF adapter (so I can at least get some sort of image while I figure out how to best connect the Saturn to my HDTV).
- Another 20+ games including Sega Rally, Bomberman, Grandia, most Sakura Wars games including the limited edition box with the Saturn mouse, Puyo Puyo, the first two Eva games, and some typical 1990s visual novels (which I'll probably get rid of).

Sheesh, I figured I'd give myself a budget of 10,000 yen (before shipping) for the stuff bought from Japan, but I've only spent 4,000 up to now... :boingy:

To do: analog controller x2, VCD card for better MPEG playback (if one isn't included with the Saturn), RGB Scart cable...

The RGB Scart cable is absolutely a must. Not sure about the VCD card unless you really are planning to play some VCDs.
Also, for the love of god, do not miss Virtual On. It was a massive arcade hit in Japan (and they know better), with some multi-floor Sega Centres who had a floor dedicated solely to this game (first one and the second one at the time of my visit). It's a great great mecha fighter, probably the best of the 32bit generation.
The 3D-analogue controller is definitely a good one to have too.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”