Controversial Anime Opinions

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 1109
Joined: Apr 01, 2014
Location: The state of Denial

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun May 10, 2015 11:30 am

The robot thing is so ingrained that it even pops up in places you wouldn't have expected, given the premise (I'm looking at you, Wizard Barristers, where the "Perry Mason with magic" premise and things like animation for most of an episode were all sacrificed for a CGI mech fight climax).


Heck, even Pokemon has them, courtesy of Team Rocket (though needless to say they're anything but awe-inspiring). My point is, they're that ubiquitous. If an anime series goes on long enough, and has a reasonably sci-fi/fantasy-based setting, chances are it WILL involve giant mechas at some point.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.


Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20415
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 10, 2015 11:37 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:a reasonably sci-fi/fantasy-based setting, chances are it WILL involve giant mechas at some point.
But that was already a thing 20-odd years ago, with Escaflowne and RayEarth being the most obvious examples.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Bryan
Adam
Age: 30
Posts: 93
Joined: Mar 01, 2013
Location: Orange County
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bryan » Sun May 10, 2015 2:19 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't think a dead girl trying desperately not to be completely forgotten by everyone she ever knew (and failing) is first world problems at all. I think it's about the worst fate I can imagine, and that the cast of NGE got off lightly by comparison.

I can never understand why people think Eva is so gruelling, honestly. Nothing that happens is permanent, so what the hell? It's rough the first time through, yes, but once you know what's going on it's plain ol' character development and not all that terrible at all. By contrast, genuine loss -- loss that doesn't come with a reset button -- is much more tragic and harrowing.


By the way, I just realized this is the plot of the movie Bleach: Memories of Nobody.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Posts: 573
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby GAP » Sun May 10, 2015 3:28 pm

View Original PostBryan wrote:By the way, I just realized this is the plot of the movie Bleach: Memories of Nobody.


Me Too.

The bleach movies are a lot better than the manga despite having flaws of its own.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Shamsiel-kun
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1121
Joined: Oct 09, 2014
Location: On an ancient coastline 10,000 years into the future
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sun May 10, 2015 4:13 pm

So, uh, Kantai Collection. I haven't actually watched it. I've just read the description on Wikipedia.

This:
The gameplay is centred upon building squadrons composed of individual characters represented as cards with different attributes, and then sending said squadrons out on missions. Each of the characters are moe anthropomorphisms of World War II naval warships which are depicted as cute girls, known as "Fleet girls" (艦娘 kanmusu?).[9] These personified warships are based on real-life vessels which are explained in detail within the game; the physical characteristics, appearances and personalities of each of the girls correlate in some way to the real-life vessel (for example, ships with a larger displacement tonnage are usually depicted as older girls with more mature bodies, while smaller ships have petite and underdeveloped figures, with a few exceptions). The player takes on the role of an admiral (提督 teitoku?) and organises their fleets in battle in order to win. Combat is largely automated, and manual actions by the player include micromanagement such as building and repairing.[2][10] The player can organise up to four different fleets.[11]

And this:
Whilst the game is free-to-play, special premium bonuses can be obtained through prepaid game money and credit card micropayments, such as repair dock expansions, home shipyard furniture tokens, ship possession limit increases and special consumable items.[13] Although each ship in the game has an experience level cap of Lv.99, the player is able to obtain the "marriage papers and ring" item with a monetary purchase priced at 700 yen or via a one-time special quest, which allows the player to "marry" the girl, thereby breaking the original level cap and allowing a new maximum of Lv.150, in addition to other perks such as stat boosts and decreased operating costs; this process can be repeated as many times as the player wishes, and there is no limit to the number of girls that can be "married".[14]


WAAAAARGHBLAAAG? :cringe:

Well, that explains the amount of porn this series seems to generate. But that still means people can marry (and apparently want to bone in the porthole) god damn WARSHIPS. WTFBBQ?

I am amazed Moral Guardians haven't yet found out about this and are not using it as an argument about why all anime is bad.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 20, 2014
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun May 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Kancolle is mostly good for the oodles of yuri it produces, mostly between akagi and kaga but thats just me.
And yeah the marriage thing was dumb but i read this one Akagi x Kaga doujin where the admiral was a total bro and took the marriage forms for the two, cut them in half and stuck them together so the girls could get married, because admirals can do that now.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor
User avatar
Posts: 4247
Joined: Sep 17, 2010
Location: Karlsland

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fireball » Sun May 10, 2015 4:48 pm

Throughout history men has given ships female names because the ship was the only woman allowed at sea and as such was treated with deference and respect. The idea that seamen are married to their ships they are sailing isn't anything new.
Avatar: Rommel-chan

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl


「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20415
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun May 10, 2015 5:33 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:So, uh, Kantai Collection. But that still means people can marry (and apparently want to bone in the porthole) god damn WARSHIPS. WTFBBQ?
Warships in the form of cute girls. Let's be clear about that. You name it, Japan has produced a cute girl version, and someone has said "she's mai waifu". If there's an issue to take with the franchise, it'd be about historical revisionism, and not about the ubiquitous culture of kawaii.

As is, I'm not sure that "LOL, Japan" really counts as a controversial opinion.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 5095
Joined: Jan 09, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tankred » Sun May 10, 2015 5:50 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Kancolle is mostly good for the oodles of yuri it produces, mostly between akagi and kaga but thats just me.



De ja vu, I swear you say this everytime we mention Kantai Collection. :tongue:

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4903
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

Ruined like Fuzors to Zoids. B/

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon May 11, 2015 1:44 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The robot thing is so ingrained that it even pops up in places you wouldn't have expected, given the premise (I'm looking at you, Wizard Barristers.

And I'm looking at Digimon Xros Wars.

Digimon aesthetically has always been a send up to Super Sentai/tokusatsu and Kaiju films. Other influences cropped up, to include a robot-looking one here or there, but the first two influences dominated.

But in Xros Wars, mecha is suddenly the order of the day, with inorganic lines and boxy shapes. Because now combining a la Voltron is the central fighting mechanic and making the (non-evil) Digimon mish-mashed FrankenScheusal just wouldn't do.

On paper, I should like this better. Mechanical depictions of power beat out squishy organics in my mind. In practice, I loathe it, because now everything the protags have look like cheap, gaudy, plastic toys, and the Digimon are thrown in like gumballs, only to be thrown out next episode to let the new guy up to bat.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 3319
Joined: May 20, 2014
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon May 11, 2015 2:19 am

The reason the Xros wars good guys look like toys is because that is what they are designed to sell, all digimon technically are but that just became the entire focus of the design in xros wars.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Gendo'sPapa
God
God
User avatar
Posts: 4849
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: Everywhere
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 11, 2015 4:17 am

Simple controversial opinion*: There hasn't been a single new anime series released in the past 12 months that hasn't been absolute garbage.

*It's not really opinion. It's a fact.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4903
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

How about this one? Bl

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon May 11, 2015 10:51 am

^ Anime De Wakaru Shinryounaika ? It's not pure gold with every joke, some are even a bit tired or :facepalm: , but I've enjoyed it.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 5095
Joined: Jan 09, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tankred » Mon May 11, 2015 10:59 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:*It's not really opinion. It's a fact.


Have any facts to back that opinion up?

Squigsquasher
Banned
Age: 23
Posts: 3673
Joined: Feb 09, 2013
Location: The bonus 10th level of hell
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon May 11, 2015 11:44 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Simple controversial opinion*: There hasn't been a single new anime series released in the past 12 months that hasn't been absolute garbage.

*It's not really opinion. It's a fact.

You really enjoy baiting, don't you?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Gendo'sPapa
God
God
User avatar
Posts: 4849
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: Everywhere
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 11, 2015 12:34 pm

Gotta keep the thread going.

But I'm serious when I say I haven't seen anything that isn't garbage in the last year. Hence my controversial opinion.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael
User avatar
Posts: 573
Joined: Dec 01, 2008
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby GAP » Mon May 11, 2015 1:38 pm

Well, if it is any consolation I am discovering that some anime in the past suck too.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl
User avatar
Posts: 5843
Joined: Apr 09, 2005
Location: 5th dimension

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Defectron » Mon May 11, 2015 1:39 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Gotta keep the thread going.

But I'm serious when I say I haven't seen anything that isn't garbage in the last year. Hence my controversial opinion.


If your talking about 2015 I almost agree with this, but I do like the new season of Jojo, Durarara season 2 seems decent so far too, didn't focus as much on the lame protagonist like the old Durarara did.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20415
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon May 11, 2015 5:22 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:There hasn't been a single new anime series released in the past 12 months that hasn't been absolute garbage.
Because neither JoJo nor Mushi-shi count as "new", I presume. Or Fate/*, for that matter, though that barely moves the needle.

Seems like you need some more School/Slice of Life in your diet. :D
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 73
Posts: 10345
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Mon May 11, 2015 5:27 pm

Oregairu*? I've enjoyed the first season more than I expected, though I wouldn't call it great or anything. I've seen hints that the current second season (which I haven't quite got to) is a step up; the first season certainly improves as it goes.

* the show with the greatest number of stupid names of any! I've decided just to use the shortest.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: Everybody finds love... in the end. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)


Return to “Anime and Manga”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest