The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A & Side B

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:43 am

Awesome news. Even though I already own the Japanese deluxe Illustrations with Asuka on the cover, I bought the UDON one as well to pre-emptively compliment their A and B releases which I'm planning on getting.

NForce2Ultra
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby NForce2Ultra » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:32 am

Bought them last year, Side A and B and the first Illustration( the one with Rei). French editor Glenat already had them. Side A contains Character & Eva Guide, Episode 1 to 13, Few Collectibles like Older VSH and DVD boxset, OST and Garage Kit. Side B include Episode 14 to EoE and more collectibles, more gashapon and action figures. Illustration contain more FanArt about the Evangelion and Tech stuff, the first few pages are related to characters but thats all. I can post some Pics later on...

DemonSpade
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DemonSpade » Wed May 01, 2013 3:35 pm

Bumping this thread because I was wondering if there is a tentative release date for Side A&B? Also, are there any plans for a release of the revised Edition of the Chronicle:Illustrations? Not sure if I want to pay that much for the Japanese edition...

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed May 01, 2013 3:37 pm

Rest of 2013 per Udon for Side A and B.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

DemonSpade
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DemonSpade » Wed May 01, 2013 3:50 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Rest of 2013 per Udon for Side A and B.

Ah well. At least that gives me some time to save money for boh of them. Too bad about the revised Illustrations book though, I really would like to see that one published in the West.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed May 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Discussion about ECI here. And yeah, I would too, have the Japanese version.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:47 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I bumped this thread because it looks like the books are going to be released in English this November. Wondering if these books are worth it?

Seems like the release for Side A and Side B is still on, since it didn't happen in 2013: http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/schedule/

I might pick up Side A and Side B, if the information is that interesting. I'll pass on Illustrations since from past experience (original Die Sterne) while pretty, artbooks tend to sit on my shelf untouched. And the U.S. Illustrations isn't the updated (NME images included) version, anyway.

Is the information from these books anything you can't get from the show itself? Any interesting tidbits? The character relationship charts sound plenty interesting, at least.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:07 am

It looks like there is now a date for Side A: April 7.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:14 pm

Thanks, Udon hasn't confirmed yet on their site: http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/mega-man/schedule/

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:24 pm

BUMP: Looks like we finally have a June 2 release date for Evangelion Chronicle Side A, and an August release for Side B. I've been particularly excited about these releases.

http://www.udonentertainment.com/blog/schedule/ (Side A is under May 2015 section as Pre-Order)

(Side A)
http://www.amazon.com/The-Essential-Evangelion-Chronicle-Side/dp/192677857X
http://www.rightstuf.com/i/9781926778570/

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:36 pm

I'm glad to hear that, whether or not I'll actually buy those. I was afraid they'd be cancelled Stateside or something because things have been so quiet.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:08 pm

At last, confirmed release dates are better than limbo.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Fri May 01, 2015 6:46 am

About time. Been waiting for-fucking-ever on these ones.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Fri May 01, 2015 6:01 pm

I NEED MONEY NOW

Also, whoever has the ability to do so should add this to the front page.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 01, 2015 11:32 pm

That reminds me that we really could use more Front/News Page staff so it doesn't have to be just 2-3 people rotation (to show we have a more active presence than that, etc).

Anywho, the release of this makes me think I should get these instead oft the Asuka cover artbook since these have info in them (probably everything I already know) but still!

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 02, 2015 12:10 am

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Also, whoever has the ability to do so should add this to the front page.

Ask and thou shalt receive. It's also up on the twitters now:

Post has a short description that I lifted (with credit, of course) from Hobbylink Japan, because despite having been watching Evangelion for 6 (!) years, I still didn't even know that this book existed. I did do some of my own research, though-- gotta earn my keep somehow around here, right? Links have also been included to the preorder pages on Amazon for both sides A and B.

In hindsight I should not have capitalized all the words in that tweet, but it was lifted directly from the headline that I typed for the news post. Whatever. Content's all still there.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat May 02, 2015 1:17 am

Thanks for adding the announcement to the front page, Nuke! This news makes me very happy... I liked the French versions of these books, so it's great that we'll finally be getting an English release so more people can enjoy it. (I'll be buying the English versions as well, because I've been looking forward to comparing them to the French editions for my book reviews. So excited right now!)

Just a few small corrections about the announcement...

Evangelion Chronicle is a two-part work.

It would be more accurate to say that The Essential Evangelion Chronicle is a two-part work. Because the real "Evangelion Chronicle" was originally 30 magazines that added up to a whopping 960 pages! There currently is no book that compiles all of that stuff... but some of the information highlights and pictures were collected into two books: The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side A, and The Essential Evangelion Chronicle: Side B, which are the books we're currently talking about. (There is also a book called Evangelion Chronicle Illustrations which focuses on the artistic side and is already available in English, but the English release is not the Evangelion Chronicle Illustrations Revised Edition... um, you know what, I'll just link to my review which explains the difference between the various Chronicle books so that those who are interested can read it, and those who aren't interested won't be put to sleep by my rambling. -o-; )

Side A covers the first thirteen episodes, and side B covers the last thirteen. When I say the last thirteen episodes, I mean the last thirteen episodes of what aired on TV, or what we call the OA episodes. This book does not cover the director’s cut (DC) episodes

This is actually incorrect. The Side B book includes the Directors' Cut episodes... in fact, it skips the On-Air versions and treats the DC versions as the definitive ones. It includes both endings, though (the TV ending and The End of Evangelion movie). Heck, there's even a small blurb about the string quartet scenes from Death & Rebirth. ^_^
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat May 02, 2015 1:24 am

View Original PostLiterary Eagle wrote:This is actually incorrect. The Side B book includes the Directors' Cut episodes... in fact, it skips the On-Air versions and treats the DC versions as the definitive ones. It includes both endings, though (the TV ending and The End of Evangelion movie). Heck, there's even a small blurb about the string quartet scenes from Death & Rebirth. ^_^

Is that so? In that case, I misinterpreted the Amazon blurb, which states:
Covers episodes 14-26 of the original television series[...]

...which I took to mean the OA and not the DC episodes. However, seeing as you own the books, I'm greatly inclined to believe you. I'll post a retraction and link to your blog post-- I just finished reading it, and it seems like it would benefit the news post.

Thanks for letting me know about my error.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Sat May 02, 2015 10:40 am

You're welcome. Thanks again for posting the announcement! This is really great news! :woohoo:
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Sun May 03, 2015 6:22 am

Is this basically just the Chronicle Illustration books but with info as well?

Pre-ordered regardless ^_^

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”