Kimochi Warui

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Fleetleader101
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fleetleader101 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:46 pm

Yikes better get the original script then. To the library!

Yeah in this show little things like intent mean a whole lot, but on the other hand didn't Anno himself say that eva should mean w.e it does to us and that his opinion isn't what truly matters?

I guess to me the general story is the same in no matter what dub it is in, but this does make my (one line from an episode is exactly like the ending) only valid for the english dub. Which by no means indicates the true intent of the director.

I would still maintain though that the exact ending line in any of the versions would have been very specific and I highly doubt would be just a quick write in. There is intent in those final words. So, what is the Japanese line then and how does that roughly translate?

Ive heard the I Feel Sick thing in the past.
Asuka and Shinji are no doubt a couple and Rebuild is a sequel. There is no debate.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:50 pm

This is terrible.
This is disgusting.
This is sick.
This is bad.
I feel terrible.
I feel disgusting.
I feel sick.
I feel bad.
How terrible.
How disgusting.

There are many ways to translate it; kimochi warui is just a general statement of disgust.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:06 pm

@Fleetleader101 this may help [url]http://wiki.evageeks.org/Resources:End_of_Evangelion_Screenplays[/url].
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Seen
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Seen » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:20 pm

"Feels bad, man."

There you go.
Utena figures out why the duelists are dueling but what the hell kind of answers does she get? "Because I want to find the power of miracles, I'm going to chop bitches with a sword so I can get a creepy aspie girlfriend who waters roses and shit. which will grant me the power of miracles. I KNOW THIS GODDAMNIT DON'T ASK HOW" -Azathoth

ReiAyanami25
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby ReiAyanami25 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:10 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Why does she feel sick? (and it isn't morning sickness)

I think that her saying she feels sick is not meant to be taken literally, it is just to indicate that she is disgusted by Shinji.
生は、死の始まり。そして再生は、夢の終わり。
"I write only because there is a voice within me that will not be still." - SP

Rei Ayanami's beauty comes from the truth that she has feelings...the struggle to draw your feelings forth, the reconciliation between your surface and your death - that, I believe, is where we truly become alive, truly become human beings." -Hayashibara Megumi

John
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby John » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:39 pm

I always thought it was some kind of ehmm... "I know what you people (who are watching this movie) are thinking".

Being the end of everything, telling you on your face: "GTFO and get a life" and almost explaining that everyone will comeback IF they want to (just to leave an open ending), all that Anno had to do was in ONE line express the emotion everyone should be feeling in that moment, because after all that mess, maybe no one would know how to exactly express it when "The End" appeared.
Now, you have 2 options and take it as your opinion: If you want to take it as "I feel sick/all other meanings" from Asuka, or "I feel terrible/all other meanings" after you watched this helluva movie.

That's exactly what I feel every time I watch this movie, and well, at least for me, it makes sense.
We'll destroy everything , and we'll keep destroying it until it looks like all the bad things -all the sad things- never even happened at all.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:04 pm

Not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but Anno got the phrase after he asked Asuka's voice actress what she would say after undergoing what was basically Asuka's situation. I mean, the words can mean whatever you want, but I feel that Anno's intent was very clear.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:05 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:Not sure if I mentioned it in this thread, but Anno got the phrase after he asked Asuka's voice actress what she would say after undergoing what was basically Asuka's situation. I mean, the words can mean whatever you want, but I feel that Anno's intent was very clear.

If you read the anecdote, Anno's intent really isn't clear at all, since Miyamura's response to his hypothetical is that the Shinji-figure is "a very strange person", not anything like "kimochi warui".
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:59 am

I've posted this before somewhere months ago, but it bears (brief) repeating.

Asuka has always been the most fiercely individualistic and independent character in NGE. The things she went through during the final episodes of NGE and EoE were nearly all entirely antithetical to her character:

- losing the admiration of others
- being rejected by her love interest (Shinji) - or so she firmly believes
- losing her self-confidence
- being forced to relive her childhood trauma during mental violation by an Angel
- losing her ability to pilot Unit-02, and thus her independence
- attempting suicide, and failing at even that
- being defeated in battle (after she thought she had won, no less)
- experiencing death while helpless (very consciously indeed)
- forever losing Unit-02 (and thus her mother)
- becoming one with others during Instrumentality
- experiencing Shinji's masturbation over her helpless form - from Shinji's point of view - during (pre-)Instrumentality. Shinji, her former crush, of all people!

Asuka's appearance as the first other person returning after Third Impact reinforces her strong desire to be an individual.

Being an individual once again allows Asuka to put all the things I listed into perspective, which leads to the realization that none of those were good, and in fact very bad.

Add to this two final bad experiences:
- Her being helpless, with Shinji the pervert straddled across her chest strangling her
- Yet she still cares about him and caresses his cheek, thus betraying her own revulsion of him

---

Asuka is disgusted with everything: herself, Shinji, the world where all this could be done to her, everything.

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:04 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:If you read the anecdote, Anno's intent really isn't clear at all, since Miyamura's response to his hypothetical is that the Shinji-figure is "a very strange person", not anything like "kimochi warui".

And then there's how Miyamura apparently didn't realize Anno was talking about Shinji in the hospital, or the draft's bit with Asuka being drugged and saying kimochi warui... What a mystifying finale.

GendoSnipes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GendoSnipes » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:28 pm

amazing scene. the directors cut episodes are the way to go. and all the director's cut scenes brilliantly help you along when EOE comes around the corner. explaining in this scene Asuka's decreasing mental state. if you keep this in mind when EOE eva comes around it explains what Asuka says in the last minute in the movie/episode26. Kimochi Warui" was used in this scene during her period/menstrual cramps. she also says Kimochi Warui" in EOE.and considering the scene, the tie to the director's cut scenes ( which 90% of the director scenes help expand on EOE) and the environment, scenario played out after Shinji rejected human instrumentality and what not it clearly shows that the infamous last line of eoe Kimochi Warui" or in the dub " how disgusting" with the theme of Shinji and Asuka being the only 2 people left on earth a sort of Adam And Eve concept makes the Kimochi Warui" phrase really clear. meaning " me doing it with Shinji is disgusting " the meaning behind the last line of end of evangelion. also during the flashes of live-action scenes towards the tail-end of the movie Asuka is quoted saying " i rather die than to do it with you" (implying sex obviously) clearly shows evidence towards the scene in eoe.
anime fans are awesome. if a series is really good we will watch it no matter what decade. like dragonball, neon genesis evangelion, fullmetal alchemist and so on they will have and always will stand the test of time. with that said i will be kinda sad when Shingeki no Kiyojin is 20 years old lol.

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:38 am

The most meticulously detailed and personal anime of all time ends with an essentially random reaction of a voice actor (who, as far as having no impact in the crafting of the story to that point, was effectively a random person). How could anything possibly be better than that?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 21, 2015 3:41 am

I'd like to offer another perspective on this.

In Nagi Asu when Hikari has only recently returned from hibernation in the sea, he tells people to stop bugging him by saying that he is still confused and disoriented to the point of feeling unwell, and he summarises this with the very same words: "kimochi warui". It seems to me that Hikari's situation and Asuka's are really very parallel, and so I looked for a paraphrase that I felt would work equally well in both places, and came up with "This all feels so weird!" or "This is making me feel weird!".

This is not intended to be a translation, because I cannot even pretend to do that; but in my mind it fits for both - without doing violence to the conventional translations of the phrase or possible references (in Asuka's case) to earlier events in the film.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu May 21, 2015 4:34 am

But aren't those events (in Asuka's case) directly relevant when considering how the phrase would be used? I mean, she's been mindraped, disemboweled by proxy, and strangled (twice) by this point, so that doesn't really match up with Hikari's situation at all. Yes, they've both just woken up, but the circumstances that led to both their sleep and their wake are vastly different.

I'll admit that "I feel weird" could certainly be part of it, what with "Kimochi Warui" being such a flexible phrase and all, but in Asuka's case I definitely think "I feel sick" or "How disgusting" is far more appropriate.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu May 21, 2015 4:41 am

It's definitely a case of each to their own, I'm sure; but those usual translations have always felt out of place to me.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:26 pm

View Original PostSeen wrote:"Feels bad, man." - There you go.

SPOILER: Show

Sorry i couldn't resist. A sad frog 4U.
View Original PostBryan wrote:The most meticulously detailed and personal anime of all time ends with an essentially random reaction of a voice actor (who, as far as having no impact in the crafting of the story to that point, was effectively a random person). How could anything possibly be better than that?

It is still "I feel sick" - and this is directed to pretty much everything (franchise, situation and the circumstances). The poster of the movie suggest that Asuka is alive, healthy and not as mad as Shinji might think she is. Ghost of Eva provided closure for me.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”