Ghibli succesor siutation (Anno, Oshii, etc)

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Ghibli succesor siutation (Anno, Oshii, etc)

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Apr 17, 2015 2:59 pm

I feel like I'm seriously missing something with all this...Isn't Anno busy enough as is with Godzilla/FINAL and that Ghibli successor situation was a mistranslation? Looks like a lot of stuff to translate and folks besides me have been translating stuff around here anyway, so...Yeah. I'm lost.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:16 am

I don't really get what this is about. :(
Is this something actually related to Ghibli or just Oshii's opinion?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:18 am

This seems to be more about what will happen with Miyazaki and Takahata edging to retirement; will Anno, Miyazaki's protege, become his spiritual successor, rather than is Anno going to take the helm at Ghibli as well as running Khara.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:49 pm

I think Anno is too different from the Ghibli style. He has been influenced, but they are different. There will be somebody somewhere who is a Miyazaki...in a way. I think Anno should do his own stuff at khara.
Although I reallly wouldn't object to Anno making a film with Ghibli.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:28 pm

Ghibli as a studio is over. Miyazaki said it. I'll say it.
When Marnie Was There should be their final film. Studio Ghibli as a name should disband & the artists should all go off & do their own things.
Without a world renowned & masterclass filmmaker like Miyazaki making assured blockbusters in house they're in a precarious position. An animation studio releasing a "Spirited Away" or a "Ponyo" every few years offers a great deal of financial security to make the kind of film's you want to make. You want to do a drama about a WWII aeronautical engineer or a story about a young woman growing up in ancient Japan done in a simple expressionistic style? Ok. We got those Ponyo profits. Let's take that risk.
Without Miyazaki that freedom is gone. If Ghibli sticks around they'll have to start playing the game like everyone else which will mean more projects like Tales From Earthsea (ugh) or The Cat Returns (meh) that have a simpler market appeal. The brand could get pretty tarnished.
Don Bluth learned that the hard way when he tried to keep Don Bluth Productions open.
Better to let Ghibli end quietly, keep that exquisite 21 film library almost flawless & call it for the history books.

Anywho, this just sounds like it's a bunch of talented filmmakers sitting around & talking about what the future might entail. Personally, I'd rather not see Anno doing anything Ghibli related. I know there was talk of him writing & directing a Nausicaa 2 under Miyazaki's supervision but now I'd prefer if that didn't happen. I'd like to see Anno go off & do something 100% original. If we're solely looking at his feature film work then Anno hasn't done anything non-franchise related since "Ritual" in 2000. His live action Cutie Honey, Rebuild of Evangelion & Godzilla 2016 are all new entries in their own large, ongoing franchises.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:04 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The brand could get pretty tarnished.
Don Bluth learned that the hard way when he tried to keep Don Bluth Productions open.

I think the situation is very different...
Bluth was a great animator and director BUT he worked well past his prime and his stories started to grow plagued with inconsistencies, plot holes and just plain nonsense (nevertheless, I love his films)...
He may have been to the American animation what Ghibli was to the anime industry at some point, the thing for him was that rival studios just got better with time (Disney Reinassance and stuff) and he couldn't secure financing anymore (we all know what happened to Fox animation with Titan A.E.)

If Bluth had gone, what would have happened to the studio? That is the matter at hand with Ghibli: head/source of inspiration gone, not Miyazaki doing work well pass his prime, sinking the brand and a few other financing companies with him...

In any case, disbanding the Studio would be pretty lame... Couldn't they go on waiting for a new Miyazaki/Golden Age to appear...? Sure a few "bad" films may be up ahead, but doesn't every studio have some?
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:54 pm

I wouldn't say I'm a big Ghibli fan, but most of the films they've done that I liked were the non Miyazaki ones like Ocean Waves (my personal favorite), The Cat Returns and the like, so maybe Anno could do something great if he puts his mind to it. That said, if he does or not, I just hope it doesn't stall the production of the next Rebuild movie by years or anything like that, especially considering that he's now on board for the next Godzilla.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”