Forum demagoguery?

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:38 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Why people think it's strange for other places to talk about Eva-Geeks? Out of curiosity how many other forums are you checking daily?

its not strange just never heard anyone mention evageeks before, im a lurker on many forums, neogaf however i am not since you need a paid for email to join their exclusive club and i hate that, similarly im not on somethingawful.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:36 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Out of curiosity, by ''that thread'' you are referring to my thread ''Could Fuyutsuki be Shinji's real father?'' where i, Bagheera and AlexanderSoryuu (Katana's alt account of that time) got banned? Because i think only after that the number of mods/admins was increased.

Oh no, I'm referring to an incident that was rather recent that did not cause too much of a shakeup.

Anyway, 4chan is not too good of a yard stick for measuring online communities, though I'd say they're spot on about some video game websites...

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:50 am

View Original PostDima wrote:Out of curiosity, by ''that thread'' you are referring to my thread ''Could Fuyutsuki be Shinji's real father?'' where i, Bagheera and AlexanderSoryuu (Katana's alt account of that time) got banned? Because i think only after that the number of mods/admins was increased.

Wait...Katana and AlexanderSoryuu were the same person? Is this confirmed? 'Cause that makes a startling amount of sense.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:13 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Wait...Katana and AlexanderSoryuu were the same person? Is this confirmed? 'Cause that makes a startling amount of sense.

No, they weren't, at least not so far as we know.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:18 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Wait...Katana and AlexanderSoryuu were the same person? Is this confirmed? 'Cause that makes a startling amount of sense.

That was never confirmed and it's the first time I've ever heard of that, at one point both of them were in the skype group at the same time, their behaviour and personalities were completely different as well, Katana made many alt accounts that got banned but he never had any cause to make one when his original account was still functioning, which was during the time when Alexander was still around.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:54 am

I thought it was all but confirmed. Before and after that incident i was receiving strange PMs mostly by Katana saying that Alexander was his/her boyfriend, that they were living together, they were switching accounts for example Alexander was writing as Katana and vice-versa.

There are other things as well that i never believed like he was hitting her, forced her to commit suicide etc.

Of course maybe i was getting trolled by Katana but some things were making some sense. The writing wasn't the same but why make an alt account and make it look the same?

It's just that some things she was saying to me were similar to the Alexander's PMs.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Forum demagoguery?

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:49 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Other people besides 4chan talk about us? Neat!

You could do a simple google search for a small subset of forums that link here.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:19 pm

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:45 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:We are so cheap.

I refreshed it and the worth went from $6 to $47.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Baz
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Baz » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:56 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:I refreshed it and the worth went from $6 to $47.
You're reading it wrong. It's a European site.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:53 pm

Why are the numbers different over there anyways, that's always confused me.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:58 pm

Just throwing my two cents in:

Few to no partisan political threads

This would go a long way in killing off the majority of negative behavior. Before I found Evageeks I made a forum from a video game developers website my home for seven years, in 2012 they did massive changes to accompany more users and one of those changes was the removal of a ban on Political and Religious discussion. What happened afterwards can only be described as a tragic decline in both quality posting and an influx of garbage as veteran members jumped ship to other forums. They drove off what little remained last year with another site update and more bullshit changes on bans and rules but that's besides the point.

If you so desperately want to discuss such topics take it to news sites or political/religious echo chambers for your views, but even in the offtopic section, they really don't belong on forums that discuss anime, video games, and other nerd subjects.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:13 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:If you so desperately want to discuss such topics take it to news sites or political/religious echo chambers for your views, but even in the offtopic section, they really don't belong on forums that discuss anime, video games, and other nerd subjects.

I'm on the fence teetering towards pro political discussion, this forum has existed for a long time now and as far as I know it's never banned political discussion, just had a hard line towards it, the mods have been quite lax in the past few years, I remember them being rather more strict in the 2011/12 and they slowly lost their edge, they need to be hard on users again. There used to be plenty of heated discussions about Eva and films in general before I joined and moderation managed to deal with them. Also joining an echo chamber for your politics is terrible, you don't learn anything.

Overall I think tighter moderation would go a long way in providing a solution, users should know their place in the forum and not forget it either.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:23 pm

As for political discussion here, er, do we not already allow that, whenever anyone wants to have a go? Haven't we such a discussion going on right now? Do we really need an official policy making it a right? Honestly such a formalization might limit it just as much as enable.
Last edited by Lavinius on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:28 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I'm on the fence teetering towards pro political discussion, this forum has existed for a long time now and as far as I know it's never banned political discussion, just had a hard line towards it, the mods have been quite lax in the past few years, I remember them being rather more strict in the 2011/12 and they slowly lost their edge, they need to be hard on users again. There used to be plenty of heated discussions about Eva and films in general before I joined and moderation managed to deal with them. Also joining an echo chamber for your politics is terrible, you don't learn anything.

Overall I think tighter moderation would go a long way in providing a solution, users should know their place in the forum and not forget it either.

There's no learning in an argument either, just people shouting at each other hoping the other will shut up and agree with their completely subjective view. I have yet to ever see a political argument on a forum that ended with someone saying "I learned something new and it really opened my eyes to my view." That rarely even happens in real life. My point is that posting with other people on forums over the internet is just like going to a social gathering of some sort, and politics/religion are the two things you just don't bring to a party.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:32 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:There's no learning in an argument either, just people shouting at each other hoping the other will shut up and agree with their completely subjective view.

I don't think everyone is a complete idiot; although I suppose it might be wise to model them thus.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:46 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:There's no learning in an argument either, just people shouting at each other hoping the other will shut up and agree with their completely subjective view. I have yet to ever see a political argument on a forum that ended with someone saying "I learned something new and it really opened my eyes to my view." That rarely even happens in real life. My point is that posting with other people on forums over the internet is just like going to a social gathering of some sort, and politics/religion are the two things you just don't bring to a party.

That is a rather cynical view based on your bad experience, is it not? I've had arguments with plenty of people and I've learned new things a long the way. It's true that people don't submissively accept the view of their opposition, people are too proud to do that, however it would be wrong to say that they don't learn something, also your view of a forum is your own, personally I don't see this forum as a party, more so as an actual forum. :lol: If I were to treat this forum as a party, I'd be on my toes, I wouldn't feel much in regards to comfort, I guess I've been here for too long.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:55 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:I don't think everyone is a complete idiot.

There's enough bad apples to spoil the tree. Not to mention with political discussion even with a side agreeing to change their views, it just turns into an echo chamber which Tankred said doesn't help either, but that last thing a forum needs is somebody that is trying to turn a place into one, that's what happened to my old home and I don't want to see it happen here. At least with the echo chambers people stay in, the behavior is quarantined.

That is a rather cynical view based on your bad experience, is it not? I've had arguments with plenty of people and I've learned new things a long the way. It's true that people don't submissively accept the view of their opposition, people are too proud to do that, however it would be wrong to say that they don't learn something, also your view of a forum is your own, personally I don't see this forum as a party, more so as an actual forum. If I were to treat this forum as a party, I'd be on my toes, I wouldn't feel much in regards to comfort, I guess I've been here for too long.

The way I see interactions my friends on forums have compared to how they interact at social gatherings, there isn't much difference. The whole "You're a different person on the internet" idea doesn't carry as much weight as it used to. If you feel so strongly about a subject online chances are you're probably not playing the devils advocate just for the sake of having an argument.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:17 pm

I think Tankred has the right of it here. I know I've learned things from participating or just lurking in various politically charged (or otherwise controversial) threads, even if it's just crystallizing my own thoughts on the matter by seeing them tested.

Part of keeping this forum alive and well is remembering that it's a community of eva fans, not just a depository for eva-only discussion. Learning more about the various users here through threads that have nothing at all to do with the show enriches the whole experience. To be perfectly honest if it wasn't for the culture here I'd have long ago stopped visiting, save perhaps checking in directly after a new release to see what people noticed that I missed.

If you don't want to partake in controversial threads, just don't post or read them. It's an easy fix that doesn't intrude on anyone else's preferences. Eventually this might all be moot anyway... forum-specific bans (either by request or otherwise) may become more common staff practice in the vaguely near future.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:20 pm

The old hard-line against politics and religion was that those threads just got locked, unless there was at least something really interesting about the subject matter or a post, then it got locked anyways. That's pretty much been the going policy of the forum until a few years ago when there were more active mods and we thought we could get away with letting those threads stay unlocked until there was a good reason to lock them.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”