Evangelion 3.0 interviews (needs translation!)

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Robotranslated for Gendo wrote:Tachiki Fumihiko (Ikari Gendou role)

...... Going flow as air. Ji who will dip which makes us way of speaking, I am ...... who will continue to have the feeling. It is a non-green something like emotional ups and downs.

- By being come to play for many years the Ikari Gendou, stumpage Mr. Do you think that it is what kind of person.

Without even elusive role that I Gendou, that you do not know is still'm often. It seems that it is not a part of the contents of "mystery", you are trying to do the Gendou. I do understand vaguely of course, but that you think what you have to go as far as what, he is the most satisfactory at that time ...... what. Upon play, I feel that much a journey to look for it. This person because it is comparatively simple lines also a reticent particular, it tips or obtained from the words of other people but rather, and to assent'm often.

- When this time, I read the script, did you inspire any impressions.

And it was a stage to "fracture", and go Trace, that came in the past in me. But I For "Q", I think close (laughs), to the audience the impression 's "Q? (Hatena)" exactly. However, the impression when I read the script a thing "A mother, or did this happen" and, it is there was no sense of incongruity. I'm end up the way of strange assent partly because as an important character, itself is steeped for the world of Eva.

For now, read the words of Kaoru-kun, I thought, "I hope this boy, I wish it would be be a good adult" me first. In Shinji Shinji, it is too close myself become Ikari Gendou, in the mood of a child really, but's not that it or something yearn. For Shinji, feelings of parents'd have sprouted by a little since I was a "fracture" willl! "Ganbare".

And yet, rather than that there is a conflict or something when your own words and deeds play role, but rather a matter of fact I'm very comfortable. I think it is a strange way of speaking, but here's to comfortable if you are playing a role is the Na 's not very. In that it enter the top three among the characters that you have ever played, and that there is no unreasonable it might be number one.

Mood that continues climbing all the way big mountain

- For the comfort, you can ask a little more?

It is because hand in Chief of the story, a part to be "stem". If you are concealed various mystery, You say to say the words that have overtones, and wonder if such things so comfortable for people (laughs).

- Feel closest to the core has this time. But, it is not said that the main thing.

That's right. Only sense in their own called "play" might be relatively small for Gendou. ...... Going flow as air. How to play will be way of speaking, it is ...... who is going to have the feeling. It is nothing to do something like emotional ups and downs. Also part storyteller basis, I will or a little. In the work which met for the first time when I was honest, the TV first, yet because it was difficult, it was worried the character making. I'm was not pleasant at all. What it is to large to reverse here, What Might it happens, it I do not know yet.

- I have heard the story that there was tension time of TV.
There is also an atmosphere of the studio it and I is something like tactics and cast team with Anno's at that time. There were some people that question in, but I such person who does not speak so much more Nde, As we think, "What?'m I ​​say this words" or the like "? I say Grab your character How do I", always's " If you have a feeling willl "Uncontrolled, it was still depressing.

- You will of was hard to know where the story is going be.

It is. I think it is a thing that could not be only in that era. Itself was also quite young, and even did on TV again, and I do not able to give good at the time. So it's do a large scale of time, such as "New Theatre version", I have match among their own. I think that there is a part that has gone repeated experience and their own nature, and in part on such'll do the "Eva", I have been very linked.

- This time, 14 years close to the actual time has elapsed in the "Q" in the story, and aging or do they come out as the story of today.

I'll have it. And regarding "Q" is not does not end with this. But I was feeling that you are climbing a big mountain always always (laughs). That it might not you come into view when you banged climbing the great mountain surely, it has reached the summit answer. I'd think not just a passing point yet. That said some things that he himself had piled up years, it is also thought me still unfinished.

I felt the most when you do the "Introduction", and it's likely Yari closer to the real age, because I felt even pleasure as a kind ...... parent at the time of the "fracture". It is a feeling I had never felt once Eva until now (laughs).

- The audience also seems to have been surprising.
It must be so sure. Rather than human or make a sound you can produce images in the anime, I plays the character of one person, but it is the feeling that there is no sense such as the work of voice actors, it plays as an actor really is the case of the driving. I or rather are blown as it is the soul to a person after all. Reason alone or "...... I wonder whether the time 's end of the driving", I will think about such a thing now rather.

Gendou important character that you do not remove the scale

- It was a completely new, but do you feel no matter what.

I think the "Q", and I want to watch I seriously anyway. I'm think it "What? What? 'S this" audience will be feeling at the time the A part, was watching it, and when is too much in the movie theater in no time In terms of script.

- And please let me complete the coverage this time, there is an impression that make sure that it is the cast received, and that you believe in the work person is synchronized closely.

What can be the Board with respect to Eva, the Hall "with people of other casts, I do not so much. Reason alone, that you are thinking and feelings for each piece, does not it? Has different perhaps. I have thought it 's interesting to reverse.

- This time, what such as whether there was during the '14, glasses but has changed it or at least was the spoken and Anno-san?

No, I am not talking about anything in particular (laughs). When you trying to say the words to see the script in the studio, I become the wind "person who is not considered unnecessary things be a good thing this" willl. As ritual of something totally without making a fuss, I have been doing is indifferent in their own. It is a kind of how to proceed. So, I do not care "here has changed" or in the detail, such as glasses. Because I think human nature if or has changed, then it said that I say properly person from Anno's.

- Such a breath of cast and Anno-san's great also.

The case of the driving, something like shift of scale is important'm speaking in subtle ...... music anyway. If you feel a shift have talked a line myself, I think it 's "I want to try one more time", and rhythm you said to like "Please give me one more time" is, matching each other good person from Anno's at those times I hope to have. So, It is incredibly easy to do. I think that I think that he more stringent, but the combination with Anno's on to do words and deeds that's very good personally. Gendou is useless character when I take off the sound even a little. I will note the most there.

In that sense, Shinji ...... I wish tough after all. Such as feeling that you have to hodgepodge in a jumble, the various troubles such as conflict in the mind, such as I think that is tightening the breast, or is not it must issue a lot of emotions really. I ...... there is the case of Shinji.

- Remarks caring Shinji, I feel good in more melting pot 'll parent and child.

I'm think it first after all. Site that are together and Shinji is less, one of the reasons, I'm such because quite tangle-free. I have not seen only once in the studio this time, and in the studio, I Nde I think that it is "I'm sorry, I ask once again," What is all alone and many believe perhaps. ...... Yeah. Is not it I think it would are you doing while suffering in pretty good sense.

As part of those who feel the words and actions are in the core

- Do you have that it has been noted in Gendou else?

Schedule of dubbing because we know in advance when you do the "Eva", the adjustment of your own voice as well, are you some degree there, if you work and was in the front, do not cry to waste it very much work It has been kept as such as, be the case. I aim at the best condition at all times. Condition "New Theatre version" since the start of the is a good. It is then not hit too and good thing cold.

- Dubbing during this time, I ask if there is an event striking something.

Even though rough, very politely, image is I think you are drawn to clean though. Color is also not unlucky, I got to a start in the iconic design. Not think the line drawing at all, because I is what completion is assumed. I think it 's feeling of Evangelion only just. I thought that it is a thing very special, we are always impressed.

At the same For "Q", as the eyes of one fan, various new characters because we come out full of really, people of that area is'm looking forward to. I think when I saw the screen first, What me wonder if I am finished.

- Last of the "Q" I have become a "continued," but, if and what to expect in the future something.

Broad range of change is the "Q", but Gendou own I'm not so different "fracture" and "Q" in particular. Then, maybe, the real surprise I might come. Myself too, that I'm with great expectations. And I think just maybe, there may be nothing (laughs), Na me want something happens.

The mysterious always Gendou is, I supposed the most important person, but I is that it hardly moves. It around, may be different to say the production unit, but it is moving very hard way. What are you Wasawasa, do you not a person who other always. I, including children. I I think the comparison is, I think it 's very attractive in this work.

- The movement is speculation of the driving, and that it is disastrous on the surface also occurs, but me or not you have a motive and Human comparatively Gendou me, it's not like hinted.

It 's You are right exactly. Only such as is inhumane such as simply cool, I do not think there like that. Have a part of the force as a human, I feel terribly really something. It seems that most of you since I started the "New Theatre version", it began to feel particularly strongly.

That's why ... I unnecessarily. After that there is a end to Gendou if ... What I Might not go getting any wind. Information of their true against Gendou is, might go from entering at that point I'm sure. Only one major project just yet. Are moving in order to complete it, and it says the lines for the minutes also white. It is such a feeling.

- After finishing this "Q" at the end, I want to receive the impression of the whole.

For the "Q", I have the impression in Evangelion totally different from the past, rather than the one step far from, and Na have proceeded nothing step. The Na and has gone ahead considerably. In terms of an impressive scene of me, the finish of the exchange of Kaworu and Shinji, is no help in the fun also. Including as well as music, and wonder if I show how does. Is not it I think to deployment of Tao angry and Shinji, is healing and feeling good there, and towards the climax of the story of "Q". I think it 's want you to enjoy all means, the edge of there.

- I feel that the eyes of the father has entered after all somewhere will.

There was contact and believe in such as going down a meal when "broken", but it is even more difficult to some contact, and then was only direct from the different position this time. I'd thought to Shinji of the driving at that time me wonder if the copper, it is does not appear in the table in this work, but I do is to read back, it 's good? Once Could sensed. If you think so, Hope all is new, "Q" Yeah after all.

And so I think this might not that I say but, for Eva, even as was received by the bad to the audience though, it's fine with it. If frog origin rather, I think, "That's what's Eva" me. It then is a new series. I own I can not think what works also be taken, it 's good?.

- I feel you from trying to avoid try to avoid that the world is set up discord, it is vice versa also.

Yeah. I think what betrayed in the sense refers to the fan, it's entertainment. Where have an evil mind as well, because it is the charm of Evangelion. The person such as each character, it is no different in principle, but how movement of the piece changes, and stage, they will change, after all ....

What I feel, "Evangelion", such as those ready always the place to shake and part adult-like, very unique child of animation, the emotion of Teen, Tickling has. Is there also the leading role just because a boy of course, but it is not just it. While showing part stylish adult-like very, and also a place or a childish in a good way somehow. I think perhaps it is or not it is supposed to appeal having you watching with a sympathetic to a lot of people.

The feeling of anime, I'm not you after all Ku. "Evangelion 's a Evangelion" Actually, all it is me or not it one genre, I think you terribly.

That for such a great work, and I was allowed to matter in the role that is the foundation of the story, I think also the fate of some sort. What wonder if do not have to think seriously that it came together and Gendou or 10 years, based on the role the future, if their own me either, and I think now.

Tachiki Fumihiko, Nagasaki Prefecture. Osawa office affiliation. "Tales of Symphonia THE ANIMATION" (Kratos Aurion-role), "Gintama" masterpiece such as (Hasegawa Taizo role). Active in narration, etc., in various fields.

...meh, the Robo-translation really isn't that much use. So many of the phrases are so mutilated.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:27 pm

"You are trying to do the Gendou." :lol:
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:32 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I love Evangelion, but would it make sense to spend so much time learning a language just to watch animes and understand interviews? I learned english almost without noticing, but as far as I know Japanese is very very difficult.

Well for me Eva is just a fraction of the reasons. Most of those are hobby related but in the end adding another language to the resume would be quite useful.

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:...meh, the Robo-translation really isn't that much use. So many of the phrases are so mutilated.

Which is why I advised against it...
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:39 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:in the end adding another language to the resume would be quite useful.

Oh, that makes sense of course. But I don't know if I could use Japanese.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:31 pm

I've been mulling whether or not to reorganize the wiki page for this.

The current setup is one giant block of original Japanese followed by one giant block of translated english.

I've had the idea of rearranging things so that each Japanese question is followed by it's english translations for easier reference to the original but I'm not really sure that would benefit the overall readibility.

What say you evageeks?
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:22 am

That seems more readable -- and it won't hide the translation way below the fold.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:16 am

Thread surgery complete. Tangent sent here.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Kvanu
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Kvanu » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:16 am

Every single character's interview was just translated by someone on Tumblr. Some pretty cool stuff.
http://qmisato.tumblr.com/post/112930535034/o-s-s
()

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:36 pm

"How should Nagisa Kaworu behave after he’s accumulated several different cycles in his past?" - Akira Ishida

If somebody has already pointed this out, I apologize, but does this mean Loop Theory is confirmed?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:48 pm

^ Either that or it could mean that Kaworu’s soul is resurrected into each new clone body, making each one a “cycle.” We honestly won’t know what’s going on with Kaworu until Eva Shin, and that’s if we ever find out at all.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:07 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:^ Either that or it could mean that Kaworu’s soul is resurrected into each new clone body, making each one a “cycle.” We honestly won’t know what’s going on with Kaworu until Eva Shin, and that’s if we ever find out at all.

Yeah, he seems to have gone through several bodies already if the coffins are any indication. It's also important to note that he said he wouldn't spill the beans re: what Anno told him, so it would seem the cycle business is either his take on things or a reference to the multiple bodies.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:35 pm

I'm happy that those interviews are finally translated. It seems like Anno really has a plan and doesn't throw stuff in only because it "looks cool". Good to know.
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:37 pm

Though, part of the plan should always be looking cool. :wink:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:20 pm

Mari confirmed to be almost completely driven by Tsurumaki with no real input from Anno. Pointlessness confirmed.
Last edited by Guy Nacks on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:35 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Mari confirmed to be almost completely driven by Tsurumaki with no real input from Anno. Pointlessness confirmed.

Eh, not quite. The whole point of Mari is to "destroy Eva", to throw the story a curveball. Unlike the other characters she doesn't represent a part of Anno, and if she's supposed to change the formula and keep Anno off-balance he can't be calling the shots when it comes to what she says and does.

Eva's a team effort. Always has been. This is that basic truth in action.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:52 pm

I dunno....

SAKAMOTO: They called me in for Mari’s role without an audition and without telling me anything about the character beforehand. There wasn’t even a clear idea of how Mari was going to be.

SAKAMOTO: Anno told me that he left the solidifying of Mari’s concept to Tsurumaki, and Tsurumaki helped me understand how to better voice my parts.

SAKAMOTO: Anno provided me with one little “hint” to better understand Mari: “Showa no Oyaji" [Father of the Showa Period/ The "typical" Japanese parent from the ’70s and ’80s]. After realizing what he meant, I managed to improve my performance totally.

At this point, why only give her a "hint"? Why not just tell Sakamoto if there was some important secret aspect to her character? Because there probably isn't one.

SAKAMOTO: Anno told me: “Mari does exactly what she says.” Fans don’t have to worry about her being a “liar”. There’s a prefect harmony between what she says and what she wants to do. She has a certain depth, but there’s no point suspecting that she may have a hidden agenda, or that she may be “faking it”. She’s a simple person.

The first time I read the script, I thought that she was a “suspicious” character, cute and strong at the same time, but I couldn’t understand her completely. But with time, I realized that she’s isn’t the kind of person who would deceive other people. She’s a very simple character to understand compared to the others; that’s what Anno told me, at least. All I had to do was read the script and be as natural as I could. This time around [Q], I had an easier time with Mari. I’m never influenced by what happens around me and I do things my own way. Mari is a character that knows herself and behaves accordingly. I made sure to convey confidence, and that in her eyes, piloting an Eva is fun.

I guess my reaction is based in large part to having high expectations from the TV series, where just about every single character had multiple layers to themselves. Mari just seems like way too lazy of an attempt at a character to be in something that bears the Evangelion label on it.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:11 pm

Simply because the point of Mari is confirmed to be an honest point one doesn’t make it an invalid point. And expecting layers out of Mari in NTE is like expecting layers out of Kensuke in NGE. They’re both adorable and excitable four-eyed Eva nerds who’ve always wanted to pilot one IRL, and everyone should be embarrassed for not catching on to that sooner.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:12 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:At this point, why only give her a "hint"? Why not just tell Sakamoto if there was some important secret aspect to her character? Because there probably isn't one.

So what? Why does there have to be? When I say she throws Eva a curveball I don't mean she has a secret agenda, I mean the breaks the formula. She isn't damaged, She isn't broken. She defies the conventions of the setting by simply being herself, and changes everything as a result. Yes, she's simple, but that's the point -- she's not Anno. She's a foil to the whole damn story, and that's why she's great.

I guess my reaction is based in large part to having high expectations from the TV series, where just about every single character had multiple layers to themselves. Mari just seems like way too lazy of an attempt at a character to be in something that bears the Evangelion label on it.

That's kind of the point. She's not supposed to be layered and complex, she's just supposed to be someone who tells it like it is and drops bombshells on the audience with little provocation. And she's damn good at that. I mean, in Ha she had us worked up in a frenzy wondering what the IPEA was up to, and in Q she had us tied in knots wondering about Asuka's motivations. She's doing her job splendidly.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:15 pm

^^^ Why "lazy", though? Is there not an argument for a straightforward character precisely to provide a contrast to the contorted ones around her? Also, it doesn't mean they can't give her a history which hasn't come out yet - it doesn't have to be Sadamoto's version, but at least he showed what could be done.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:06 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:And expecting layers out of Mari in NTE is like expecting layers out of Kensuke in NGE. They’re both adorable and excitable four-eyed Eva nerds who’ve always wanted to pilot one IRL, and everyone should be embarrassed for not catching on to that sooner.

The difference is Mari is an actual Eva pilot and thus is in a position to more greatly affect the narrative in addition to just being a comrade of Shinji. I just think that her being so basic seems a little anticlimactic and disappointing. Granted, the film series isn't finished yet, but at this point this is how I feel.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”