Thoughts About Evangelion Biology

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:04 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:You're implying that a group comprised entirely of female Evas will ... breed? [/Henry Wu]

(Sorry, I had to do that.)

What I'm trying to say is that if you decide to live, anywhere can be heaven, because you're alive. That is, life...will find a way.

SleepS
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SleepS » Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:11 pm

Reichu wrote:You're implying that a group comprised entirely of female Evas will ... breed? [/Henry Wu]

(Sorry, I had to do that.)

Sorry, I must have been unclear. No, I was implying exactly the opposite. What I should have said is that with BOTH sets of reproductive organs, they could presumably reproduce. My original post was meant to imply that in the event that Evangelions are hermaphroditic (a suggestion made by someone else in this thread; not necessarily the theory I subscribe too) when initially cloned from Adam, NERV certainly isn't going to leave their reproductive systems fully intact. No one wants Unit-01 going around knocking up all the other EVAs (c'mon, you know Yui would be the one to do it) or worse, asexually reproducing like a sponge.

It would make sense why the EVAs appear to have a couple of girl parts and a boy a part thrown in for fun.

Finley
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Finley » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:48 am

Sexual reproduction's purpose is to create genetic diversity is it not?
Say the evangelions have genetalia, they are based off of SOLs, but what would the seeds need those organs for? (only one per planet and whatnot)
Plus they create life from their blood and it has plenty of diversity.
Seems to me that the liberties taken with Lilith's (Especially as GNR) "motherly traits" were more symbolic/artistic than biological.

That's my take on it anyhow.
Ran out of ink...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:29 pm

View Original PostFinley wrote:Sexual reproduction's purpose is to create genetic diversity is it not?

Genetic recombination has certain advantages that other reproductive modes do not. It is one way to acquire genetic diversity, but by no means the only way (cf. horizontal gene transfer). Additionally, some species that tend to reproduce sexually may also be capable of doing it asexually (cf. parthenogenesis), and some lineages have ditched sexual reproduction altogether. This means that, counterintuitive as it sounds, there are female animals out there for whom there are no male counterparts.

Say the evangelions have genetalia, they are based off of SOLs, but what would the seeds need those organs for?

One could ask the same question about a lot of the Seeds' organs. They're immortal, bioengineered "gods", so why do they have the full complement of organs you'd find in a being that evolved for surviving in a hars henvironment and acquiring sustenance for itself? Because, well... the FAR made them that way. Accordingly, if they have sexual organs, like the vagina that Lilith is strongly implied to have, the simple answer is that it's there because the FAR wanted it to be there.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:47 pm

Do Evangelions have genitalia?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:56 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Do Evangelions have genitalia?

Somehow, the question doesn't seem germane to the topic...

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:58 pm

@ Guy
Nah, they don't really have anything in way of private parts, the only thing we see that would suggest it is Lilith bleeding from where her vag would be. The imagery is presented but it's most likely just symbolism, ie Ramiel's drill.

Though it does appear that if they were to fuse with a body with genitalia they would acquire some as well, like when Lilith fused with Rei, and she grew breasts.

If Lilith had fused with Gendo she'd probably have a dick that could pierce the heavens.

SPOILER: Show
Though I have seen pictures that would prove otherwise on the matter :shifty:
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:36 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:like when Lilith fused with Rei, and she grew breasts.

Breasts are genitals? Who knew.

I suppose since you opened Pandora's Box and this will most certainly be split into the graveyard now, I might as well say it. At least in NGE, Lilith's bleeding is probably less symbolic than you'd like to think. It was revealed that, in an unused pitch for an Eva sequel of sorts, the pilots would have been installed directly into the Evas' wombs. Yes, you read that right. This means, of course, that the Evas would need to have wombs for the pilots to be put into. [Which, in turn, would have been inherited from Adam and Lilith like every other organ the Evas have.] Since it wasn't used, you're of course free to ignore it, but it does suggest that the creative team's ideas about the Evas might not quite match up with your own assumptions in certain ways...
Last edited by Reichu on Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:02 am

^
Smart ass :lol:

I was talking more along the lines of them taking features of the person they absorb, breasts being the only thing Anno is willing to show that's associated with the female body.
SPOILER: Show
And no, vagina forehead doesn't count, it never counts.

Was that the Attack on Titan idea that you're talking about?

The idea was that they were going into the womb doesn't mean there was a vagina or they were gonna go through it into the womb.[/spoiler]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:38 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Was that the Attack on Titan idea that you're talking about?

Yup.

The idea was that they were going into the womb doesn't mean there was a vagina or they were gonna go through it into the womb.

Well, you know, a womb isn't really very useful (i.e., has a hard time justifying its anatomical presence at all) unless there's an orifice connecting it to the outside of the body, and we already saw Lilith bleeding suggestively anyway. You're being very silly. :tongueflap:

(Also, considering that mock intercourse imagery was used in NGE for "installing" the pilots into a symbolic womb, I really wouldn't have put it past them to take it to the logical next step.)

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:30 pm

@ Rei

But it goes through their back into where the womb would be, last time I checked a woman's vagina isn't in here back.

Symbolic womb, just there for symbolism, same thing in my book.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:49 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:But it goes through their back into where the womb would be, last time I checked a woman's vagina isn't in here back.

:um:

*throws some Sex Ed worksheets at CMP and runs*

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 pm

^
YOU MUSTN'T RUN AWAY! :shout: *CMP shouts as she runs*

Forgive me for not adding the word "down".

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Evangelions are consistently treated as being basically really big humans. They probably have vaginas.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:12 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Forgive me for not adding the word "down".

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. As far as I can tell, you're implying that something inserted into the spine can somehow end up in the uterus. Which, to be fair, might be true on your planet, but, alas and alack, not on this one.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:25 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:As far as I can tell, you're implying that something inserted into the spine can somehow end up in the uterus.

Chaddy's being pretty clear, Reichu, and I'm surprised you're not seeing it. And pardon the violent description that follows, but it's not hard to imagine how one could aim a gun at a womb from any direction and reach it with sufficient force even if part of a spine is in the way.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:28 pm

Monk Ed: Now I have no idea what EITHER of you are talking about or how it in any way follows the last post of mine where I was not confused. What in the world does shooting at a uterus with a gun have to do with anything, besides feticide?

(It probably goes without saying that telling a confused person "X was being pretty clear; I'm surprised you're confused" does nothing to reduce confusion. On the other hand, this is a pretty good thing to tell someone if you want them to stop asking questions in class.)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:03 pm

Ugh. Let me take a crack at sorting this out. (npi)

CMP is suggesting reaching the womb by going downwards through the entire body. I think he's confusing the core for a reproductive organ, which, while probably incorrect (who really knows?), nevertheless IS where the plug ends up.

Alternatively, he might be talking about inserting the plug through the lumbar rather than cervical vertebrae, I guess? :headscratch:

Reichu is probably confused as heck by this since the uterus is nowhere near the top of the spine where the plug is inserted, and reaching it by this method makes as much sense as treating a runny nose via anal probe.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:20 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I think he's confusing the core for a reproductive organ, which, while probably incorrect (who really knows?), nevertheless IS where the plug ends up.

Yeah, the core was the "symbolic womb" that I was referring to. (They're not a reproductive organ in any traditional sense, though there is some evidence that cores generate LCL...)

What I was saying is this: NGE has been symbolically sticking pilots into wombs [core/entry plug combo] via a mock vagina [entry plug receptacle] all along. What we know of the so-called "Attack on Titan" plan said that pilots would be implanted directly into the Eva's actual uterus instead. So, logically, if a mock uterus is replaced with a real one, one might expect the mock vagina to be substituted for the real thing, as well. The passage is there anyway, so might as well use it. No sense in constructing a whole new cavity for the job.

Real pity all this sick Cronenbergian madness was not remotely implemented in the new films. What a missed opportunity.

Reichu is probably confused as heck by this since the uterus is nowhere near the top of the spine where the plug is inserted, and reaching it by this method makes as much sense as treating a runny nose via anal probe.

THANK YOU!

Bryan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bryan » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:44 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Reichu is probably confused as heck by this since the uterus is nowhere near the top of the spine where the plug is inserted, and reaching it by this method makes as much sense as treating a runny nose via anal probe.
View Original PostReichu wrote:THANK YOU!

Well, it would truly be incredibly inefficient, but that's not what matters at all. All that matters is it could work and I see no reason to believe it couldn't. I'm reminded of the recurrent laryngeal nerve.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-47RBn97-DF0/TlMl4-Z5xlI/AAAAAAAAMQM/OGI6uBxwqdA/s1600/giraffe+recurrent+laryngeal+nerve.png
As you can see, the recurrent laryngeal nerve as shown here in the giraffe takes a 15 foot detour wrapping all the way around the giraffe's very long neck and all the way back up to its head. Now that's inefficiency at its finest, but it works so the giraffe makes do with it.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”