Obscure but brilliant cartoons

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Wait a second! We're talking about obscure, awesome cartoons and no-one's even thought to bring up the majesty that is KORGOTH OF BARBARIA!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoxMiZxN-F0

This little gem (recommended to me by my insane friends!) is a deconstruction/parody of Conan the Barbarian-styled madness post-apocalyptic world reduced back to medievil times that concerns the titular Barbarian himself (voiced by Diedrich Bader, aka Billy and Mandy's Hoss Delgado and Batman from The Brave and the Bold)

It's unbelievably gory, sexual and all that jazz, but mother of Lillith, is it a riot to watch! My friends and I make it a thing to get together and watch this beautiful pilot every now and again to give us hope for the universe! Too bad the pilot was so expensive that it prevented an actual show from getting made; otherwise, it'd be the greatest cartoon of all time!
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:58 pm

The Ronin Warriors( the dub version of samurai troopers). The anime reek of awesomeness from the characters to the battles and the music. 39 eps and 3 OVA were not enough. There should have Ben more or atleast some sort of remake. Just how many times sailor moon has to be remake?

The 2003 version TMNT was also a great show but get no love compare to the original. The original was O.K. But the 2003 version had better stories,characters and battles. One would think they would put it on DVD cashing in on the current movie. The show deserve to be treated whit much more respect.
Kensuke not a saint but at least he's not a psycho jerking off to a girl in a comma.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:46 am

Lu-Cuss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lu-Cuss » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:44 pm

Someone else mentioned a short film from The Animatrix, but I'd like to throw in The Second Renaissance parts 1 and 2. It was one of the most visually spectacular shorts I've ever seen, and nobody else seems to give it recognition.
Mountain... Heavy mountains. Things that change over time.
Sky... Blue sky. What your eyes can't see. What your eyes can see.

"You gotta be you. Only one in the world." - Hideki Kamiya

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:59 pm

Project ZETA (you know the batman beyond spinoff), im half back btw i wont be posting MUCH for a while and will still be away most of the day, only gonna come back occasionally to check on the posts.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:04 pm

Moral Orel, [adult swim]'s masterpiece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_VXZDtSBaY

The third season was the best. Too bad it was the last.

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:24 pm

I'm not sure if movies count but it is animated and if we're talking about obscure cartoons, I can't go without mentioning Fantastic Planet (or La Planete Sauvage, in French) which stop-motion paper cut outs. I've heard it described as a cross between Terry Gilliam's animation with Yellow Submarine but its suitably weird and creepy. And the soundtrack by Alain Goraguer is not bad either ;)
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:44 pm

Gandahar is a cool little French sci-fi animated film. Somewhat similar to Fantastic Planet.

Lu-Cuss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Lu-Cuss » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:33 pm

I don't know if this counts as a cartoon, because it's actually rotoscoped (real film frames digitally colored over to be styilized), but Richard Linklater made an art film around 2000-ish called Waking Life. It's about a guy who's stuck in a lucid dream, and spends the majority of the movie wandering in to people and having surreal and philosophical conversations with them. The only part that upsets me is that Alex Jones gets a small part in the film.
Mountain... Heavy mountains. Things that change over time.
Sky... Blue sky. What your eyes can't see. What your eyes can see.

"You gotta be you. Only one in the world." - Hideki Kamiya

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:11 pm

I was wondering if anyone mentioned The Maxx. It goes into psychological subjects while having this really cool vibe at the same time.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:14 pm

The Maxx is awesome. I really need to finish it.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:47 am

Party 7 Opening. I recommend watching on your phone.

The Running Man

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Y'know busting makes me feel good. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:38 am

Extreme GhostBusters

Did the Ghostbusters theme need a grunge rock remix, sung by Jim Cummings?

The answer of course is an emphatic yes.

Featuring: Carlton from Prince of Bel Air as... A somewhat less stuck up Ghostbusting version of himself.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:03 am

Not to mention:
SPOILER: Show

A female ghostbuster!? OH THE TERROR!
Seriously though i stand by Kylie griffin should have been in the new (movie as she is in the new ghostbusters comics) ghost busters as she is a great character plus i rarely see any goth characters in media any-more that isn't overly insulting, media seems to think we stopped existing beyond whiny teens past the 90's.

You also have Janine Melnitz from pre-extreme
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Did anybody remember Monster Farm? It's not very good, but it was just about farm animals as Halloween monsters, and it was played on Fox Kids (US) a lot. Fox Kids had sooo many obscure cartoons.

There were also those shows that were I guess, endorsed by celebrities like Life With Louie or Camp Candy. The 90's in general had a ton of those.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:18 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:Moral Orel, [adult swim]'s masterpiece.

The third season was the best. Too bad it was the last.

Seconding the hell out of this. Fans that liked Eva would definitely like it. Topic about it here, I'm shocked to see NAW-kun never made a post there! http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/5748/Moral-Orel/
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:51 am

elidae (1994) Movie
Dark story about regular cats(they talk) and it follows a cat detective solving a murder. Do not watch with kids rated R.

Full movie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiKn-vPXFCc&index=2&list=PLNfGcZ0nuP-eOnqdicevX9ReeM-IeyiwS

The Plague Dogs(1982) Movie
Another dark story but in a sad way. It's about two dogs escaping a lab where animals are used for experiments. If you are a dog lover and/or sensitive this movie might make you shed some tears. This one is okay for the kids but it is a bit graphic. Animals also talk here.

Full Movie: http://www.veoh.com/adultwarning/watch/v14869077Ew4rJy9g?h1=The+Plague+Dogs+%28Uncut%29

Movies are old but the art is still looking good enough to watch.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:48 pm

Fehérlófia (Son of the White Mare) is one of the greatest animated features of all time. The bright, colorful surrealist animation really captures the feel of old myths and legends. Definitely a must-see if you have an interest in animation as an artistic medium. It's full of the creativity, soul and energy that drove American animators during the Golden Age but with a Hungarian cultural motivation (the work is a tribute to the Hunnic, Avaric and other nomadic peoples, and is based upon their folk tales).

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Mon Oct 19, 2015 7:12 pm

I could recommend heavy traffic or fritz the cat but chances are people will hate them for good reasons.

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:55 am

The Flight of Dragons

A 1982, made-for-TV fantasy wherein a “man of science” leads a quest to defeat an evil wizard alongside dragons and knights.

^That’s one hilariously terrible DVD cover, never mind the fact that Carolinus the green wizard is wearing purple garb- you’d think from the general aesthetic of the art work that the film was aimed at pre-schoolers. I’d love to see a child’s reaction to the Ogre’s introduction; hell- it made me jump. Shrek this is not…

This was one of those “taped-off the telly and rewatched over and over again” films from childhood I’d pretty much forgotten all about, seeing it again recently however was one of those genuinely pleasant nostalgia trips.
One highlight would include the voice acting. With James Earl Jones hamming it up as the villain Ommadon you know you won’t be disappointed, you can tell he relished the role: Doom! Doom!
Carolinus is played by Harry Morgan; something about a wizard speaking with Col. Potter’s voice really lends a lot of believability to the character.

The animation certainly isn’t Disney-level quality, and the spectacle of certain scenes may be lacking, but things are colourful, rarely static, and there’s always that 80s charm about it.
I never fully appreciated the final confrontation between Ommadon and Peter as a nipper, it isn’t often a hero literally talks the baddy to death, but I think it just might be one of my favourite movie duels now.

Bits of the story feel a tad rushed and a few concepts are left not fully explored or expanded, but at 1 hour 35 minutes the film tells a good tale of fantasy adventure and doesn’t overstay its welcome.
My nostalgia googles are quite thick, so I’d be interested to hear what a 00’s kid thinks of The Flight of Dragons after, say, watching the Hobbit trilogy.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Return to “Film and Video”