Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Neill Blomkamp's Alien 5

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:14 pm

Recently
Neill Blomkamp, director of District 9, Elysium & the upcoming chappie recently posted online Fantastic Concept art for a Alien 5, presumably ignoring alien 3 & resurrection as Hicks (michael biehn) is still alive in the art.
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/2015/01/02/neill-blomkamp-reveals-alien-5-fan-art/
he stated he strongly wished to have directed alien 5, altho he stated the studio was no longer working on it.

Yesterday
Neill on twitter strongly suggested Alien 5 is moving forward again
http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/02/18/neill-blomkamp-indicates-that-his-alien-film-is-official/
ridley scott will produce and Prometheus part 2 is still a go.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:17 pm

Even after the failure of Exodus?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:31 pm

I’m not sure Exodus’ “failure,” critical or otherwise, was large enough so that his Scott Free company had to cut down on the number of productions.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:34 pm

Well, I'm going to view this in the same way as I currently view Termiantor: Genisys. That is to say, positively but very, very, critically.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:15 pm

That concept art of Ripley in a Space Jokey suit awoke traumatic memories of Alien 4 in me. :scared:

On another note, I wonder how they're gonna explain that Ripley and Hicks aged 30 years between Alien 2 and 5.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:27 pm

^Cryo-pod damage, apparently.

The suit-thingy actually looks more like a Xenomorph suit with bits growing into her face, which made me think of District 9 a bit.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:09 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:The suit-thingy actually looks more like a Xenomorph suit with bits growing into her face, which made me think of District 9 a bit.

The artwork in the article refers to it as a Space Jockey piloting suit (probably adapted to the human morphology), and they are apparently experts on organic technology, so the suit probably partially merges with Ripley's body, at least for the duration of the use.
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:42 pm

So Alien3 is no longer canon? That's a pretty big retcon. That's like, wiping out the Star Wars prequels level Retcon.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:43 pm

I loved District 9 and Elysium. Eager to see what a Blomkamp Alien film would look like.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:16 pm

The thing with Alien is that, the Xenomorph isn't the villain. It's just an animal, a highly intelligent animal, but it's only functioning out of a desire to propogate it's species. The real villain in the Alien-verse is Weyland Yutani, and their desire for profits and power at the expense of human life that ultimately screw things over for the human characters and allow the Alien to win.

One thing I really want to see in this new Alien film is that we get to see more of the Weyland Yutani Corporation. How they work and operate, the politics etc.

Also, we see a lot of Weyland, whatever happened to Yutani?

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:44 pm

The more important question is if Sharlto Copley's going to be in the movie or not...

:tongue:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:11 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The thing with Alien is that, the Xenomorph isn't the villain. It's just an animal, a highly intelligent animal, but it's only functioning out of a desire to propogate it's species. The real villain in the Alien-verse is Weyland Yutani, and their desire for profits and power at the expense of human life that ultimately screw things over for the human characters and allow the Alien to win.

I would rather say that the Aliens are a (artificial) forces of nature that no one can't control, yet W-Y still continuously tries to do it (to near running gag proportions), leading to this force of nature unleashed to to innocent (and not-so innocent) people.
In short, W-Y are this dumb and nasty kid that continuously plays with fire because it's so cool and powerful, and each time ends burning itself, yet continue to do it.

View Original PostRay wrote:One thing I really want to see in this new Alien film is that we get to see more of the Weyland Yutani Corporation. How they work and operate, the politics etc.

Well, one of the artworks is labeled as "Weyland-Yutani Headquarters", so you might get your wish.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:04 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The thing with Alien is that, the Xenomorph isn't the villain. It's just an animal,

They can't cut the power.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:20 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:a highly intelligent animal, but it's only functioning out of a desire to propogate it's species.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:58 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:So Alien3 is no longer canon? That's a pretty big retcon. That's like, wiping out the Star Wars prequels level Retcon.

Well, it would be like rebooting... only to an earlier point in the franchise instead of from scratch. And what's wrong with that, really?

While I am one of those strange people who like Alien 3, I have absolutely no objections to a Blomkamp Alien movie.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:18 pm

^ David Fincher’s directing is probably the only reason why I never could hate Alien 3.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:33 pm

So, they're basically pulling a Superman Returns and canon blasting the disappointing third and fourth entries in the franchise with a sequel that picks up from the events of the second film?

Sounds good to me.

Also, Blomkamp is the ideal director I would have chosen to helm an Alien sequel...at this point in his career, I'd much rather have him than even Ridley Scott, who's work has really suffered as of late.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:23 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The thing with Alien is that, the Xenomorph isn't the villain. It's just an animal, a highly intelligent animal, but it's only functioning out of a desire to propogate it's species. The real villain in the Alien-verse is Weyland Yutani, and their desire for profits and power at the expense of human life that ultimately screw things over for the human characters and allow the Alien to win.

Actually Ray, I think it's safe to say that both the Xenomorphs and members of the Weyland Yutani are both the villains of the Alien genre, but they both represent different types of selfish evil that we may be confronted with in real life.

The Xenomorphs are the raw, visceral type of evil that exists, as they are bio-weapons created by the Space Jockeys for the sole purpose of war. A type of evil that is direct and simple, and seeks only to kill and breed for the sole selfish gain of it's entire race. It's simple, but just as frightening and deadly.

Weyland Yutani however represents the type of "corrupted" evil that seeks to gain solely through the exploitation of others for their own purposes, willing to sacrifice entire lives and colonies just so they could get their hands on one of the deadliest bioweapons for their own selfish needs.

The question however that the movie tries to address is though, which one is worse? I think Ripley answers that pretty well.

You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage.
-Ellen Ripley
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Paracletus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Paracletus » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:44 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:So, they're basically pulling a Superman Returns and canon blasting the disappointing third and fourth entries in the franchise with a sequel that picks up from the events of the second film?

That may still be doubtful + mind that instagram pic of Ripley in alien\jockey-esque helm:
In 2014, Sigourney Weaver hinted that she was interested in returning to the role of Ripley, considering that the ending to Resurrection "feels incomplete to me. I wish it didn't, but it does. We left it hanging. And there's a way to finish this story that I think would be satisfying to me and the many fans." The actress also stated regarding the hybrid character that "had we done a fifth one, I don't doubt that her humanity would have prevailed."
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_(franchise)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:47 pm

No, they're not evil.

They mean different things in each film:

In Alien, the titular alien is a kind of involuntary Frankenstein. It's a metaphor for the destruction of human bonds caused by technology. Where Frankenstein's monster is a dangerous invention, the alien is a dangerous discovery. In that sense it is Lovecraftian horror.

In Aliens, the aliens are part of an extended Vietnam metaphor. Aliens is a Vietnam film, hence the focus on corporate greed, the ineptitude of the military chain of command, and the impotence of vastly superior weapons against a more nature-grounded foe as a result of the same. As in Predator, the aliens pointedly blend into the environment; they are both other and the environment itself, much as the Vietnam war is synonymous in American culture with a hostile jungle full of Freudian uncanny and confusion.

In Alien 3, the alien is a much more personal metaphor for motherhood and sexuality. The dog-alien is menopause while the alien growing in Sigourney Weaver is... well.

In Alien: Resurrection I didn't pay enough attention to that shitty movie to figure out what the alien is.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Film and Video”