NTE Units & Fibonacci Sequence

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fredsq
Embryo

NTE Units & Fibonacci Sequence

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:22 pm

I was lurking as always, searching for more stuff to discuss with my eva nerd friends, when I saw a pattern. Did a search and nothing came up, so here it goes:

caption:
Evas piloted by lilin
Evas not piloted by people
[s]Did not appear in the show as of yet[/s]

eva 00
eva 01
eva 02
eva 03

eva 04 (neo-NERV evas)
eva 05 (provisional)
mark 06
[s]eva 07[/s]
eva 08
mark 09 (Rei Q)
[s]eva 10
eva 11
eva 12[/s]
eva 13

I am not considering Mark 09 an Eva or Rei Q a lilin, as mark 09 doesn’t have a proper body and Rei Q doesn’t have a soul.

So, if you include only Eva piloted by lilin (or people that once were lilin) you get 0,1,2,3,5,8,13. That’s the fibonacci sequence with unique numbers only. ([url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fibonacci_number[/url]).

it may be speculation, yes, but it is indeed an absurd coincidence isn’t it?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:36 pm

Keep in mind that there's two versions of Unit 04: the proper EVA-04 that was supposed to be manned and which blew-up during testing in the USA, and the Mark.04 units which are SEELE/neo-NERV's unmanned drones.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Fredsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fredsq » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:33 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Keep in mind that there's two versions of Unit 04: the proper EVA-04 that was supposed to be manned and which blew-up during testing in the USA, and the Mark.04 units which are SEELE/neo-NERV's unmanned drones.

Theory still valid, none of them was piloted by lilin — that we know. So basically fibonacci evas are good guys evas

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:47 pm

I something comes up in the Rebuild that hits at the Evas being the sum of two, then this is maybe relevant. You coud say they already are. Lilin and Eva. I'm just not entirely sure. But we should remember this.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TheAdmiral
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:59 pm

There is only the illusion of coincidence. Nice catch ;)

Yevta
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yevta » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:00 am

I'd like to point out that unit 08 looked like it was undergoing some ritual (awakening?) in the 3.0 preview, and unit 13 was used to cause 4th impact, so these two seem special.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:22 am

View Original PostFredsq wrote:So basically fibonacci evas are good guys evas

I wouldn't describe Unit-13 as a good guy Eva, since its purpose was clearly to serve Gendo's interests. Thinking in such black and white terms is probably a mistake to begin with.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:08 pm

What is interesting in this comparison, is that the number 1 / Unit-01 is a special case both in the Fibonacci sequence and in Evangelion.

In the Fibonacci sequence, the number 1 occurs twice.

In Rebuild of Evangelion, Unit-01 is piloted not just by the human pilot Shinji:
- In Rebuild 1.0, during the Fourth Angel ("Sachiel") battle, it is ambiguous whether Shinji is the one berserking, or if it could be a different intelligence (Yui?).
- In Rebuild 2.0, during the Ninth Angel ("Bardiel") battle, the (non-human) dummy plug is used successsfully by Gendo.
- In Rebuild 2.0, during Near-Third Impact, it is ambiguous whether Shinji is actually piloting (alone), or if it could be a different (Yui's?) intelligence at work.
- During the 14-year time gap, it is unclear whether Shinji, Rei, or Yui had any part in controlling the events of Third Impact. We only know that Shinji has no memory of it.
- In Rebuild Q, during the outer space battle, it is unclear whether Unit-01's actions are controlled by Shinji, Rei, Yui or the Evangelion itself. We only know that Shinji has no memory of it.
- In Rebuild Q, the WILLE bridge crew plug Unit-01 into the AAA Wunder, which allows them to pilot the AAA Wunder. This arguably may not involve any piloting of Unit-01, though.

My main point is this:
Since the number 1 appears twice in the Fibonacci sequence, a full parallel with the human pilots of Rebuild Evangelions could require Unit-01 to be piloted by two separate people, possibly on separate occasions. We know that Shinji is one of them, but who could be the other?

One possibility is that this would be Yui. In Rebuild Q, it was revealed that Yui entered Unit-01's core without an entry plug, and was absorbed as a result. Unit-01's erratic behaviour could be explained by Yui's soul attempting (and at time succeeding) to take control of the Evangelion. It could even be the case that starting with Near-Third Impact - when Unit-01 reactivates on its own without a power source - Yui is in permanent full conscious control of the Evangelion for every moment that the Evangelion is active. And yes, this would include the off-screen happenings of Actual Third Impact and the brief moment of activation in outer space.
A possible counterargument is that this Yui does not actualy pilot the Evangelion in this scenario. This is more like possession or melding/merging with the Evangelion's core than actually consciously it as an external instrument.

Another candidate could be Rei, since her soul was absorbed into Unit-01's core during Near-Third Impact. A supporting argument could be found in the disembodied Rei voice Shinji (and only Shinji) hears shortly after his extraction from Unit-01, and right before the Mark-09 appears to take him away from WILLE. The fact that Rei Q in Mark-09 uses a megaphone to call out to him after she breaks open the hull still does not explain why nobody but Shinji could hear the previous calls. I claim that this was not Rei Q, but the soul of Rei that was still stuck inside Unit-01's core. His departure could be a good thing, since his continued presence (and emotional turmoil) there could agitate Unit-01 into activating eventually.
(Alternatively, Rei could not reside in Unit-01's core any more, but inside the music player, which was extracted along with Shinji. Supporting arguments for that: Shinji hears Rei's voice only moments after he received the broken music player, and Rei Q taking possession of the music player at the end of Rebuild 3.0. This theory is a counter-argument against Rei being Unit-01's second pilot.)

A third candidate - and my own favourite - would be Rei Q, in a future movie. The main argument for this is based on the Rebuild's conception of synchronization in Unit-01. I argue first that Shinji's synchronization rate with Unit-01 is acceptable because of his compatibility with Yui's soul. Secondly, his synchronization rate drops to 0.000% after he is extracted. This could be explained either by the addition of the Tenth Angel's ("Zeruel") essence to the core, or to the addition of Rei's soul to the core, or both.
However, since Unit-01 absorbed Rei 2.0 into its core and she was never extracted (if we discount the music player theory), this could make it possible for Rei Q to be acceptably compatible with Unit-01. After all, she would be both a genetic copy of Yui (unconfirmed in Rebuild, but still likely) and a genetic copy of Rei 2.0 (unconfirmed but very heavily implied). In addition, if she were to bring the music player, this could raise her synchronization compatibility even further - given that the music player was already part of Unit-01's core once before. The fact that the music player is already in her possession, and the fact that Rei 2.0 previously brought it with her while piloting Unit-00, could even be foreshadowing of this.

I hope this theorizing did not wander too far off from the main topic, but I hope it enlightens/entertains.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”