True "Broadcast Versions" of 21-24, some Q's

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

ShikinamiAyanami
Embryo

True "Broadcast Versions" of 21-24, some Q's

•      
  •      

Postby ShikinamiAyanami » Thu Dec 25, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi Everyone! I've been a lurker for some time (and an eva fan even longer), but this issue has got me so confused that I figure it'll be best to ask directly:

I currently own the Platinum thinpak, which includes the DC and OA versions of episodes 21-24. I know that the OA episodes included in this release, however (similar to those on the Japanese Renewal DVD release) aren't the true "On-Air" episodes - they are identical to the re-animated DC episodes, just minus the extra footage inserted from the Japanese "Death" (basically, an upgraded imitation of the "true, aired-on-TV" broadcast episodes 21-24).

So, question cluster #1: I've read again and again how ADV started using the "Japanese broadcast masters" from episode 20 onward for their own DVD releases. How exactly do these "broadcast masters" differ from the Japanese "Home Video masters?" Are the broadcast masters exactly the same in content to the true, aired-on-TV broadcast episodes? Were these broadcast masters the masters used for Genesis 0:X and the Second Impact #2 box?

Finally, how do these broadcast masters differ from the Home Video masters? Are the differences between them what everyone refers to as the "re-drawing/re-animating" of certain scenes from episodes 21 upward? Thus, are the Home Video masters, re-mastered AND with the extra DC footage from the Death what we are seeing on Renewal and in the Platinum set?

Question cluster #2: If the ADV "Original TV DVDs" (aka the Pre-Platinum/Pre-Renewal) aka "Perfect Collection DVD singles" were made using the Japanese broadcast masters, does that mean ADV's "Collection 0:7" and "Collection 0:8" DVDs together feature the true, aired-on-TV broadcast footage of episodes 21-24 (disregarding only the added telop screens)? How about the "Resurrection" and "Genesis Reborn" DVDs? Are the episodes 21-24 included in those releases together identical to those originally released on Collection 0:7 and Collection 0:8 which, in turn, would mean they are made from the actual, honest-to-god, aired-on-TV broadcast versions of episodes 21-24?

*breathes*

Sorry to go on and on, and to keep redefining things so tediously! Just trying to keep everything as clear as possible, for myself and others who might have the same question.

I really want to see the actual broadcast versions of all the episodes (even though we all just recently found out the "Archives" release coming out this summer will do that!) and am wondering if I should just pick up Resurrection and Genesis Reborn to supplement my Platinum thinpak!

^_^

some threads I used as a resource on this:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/8542/Merch-Eva-DVD-Question/20/?
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/4402/Platinum-edition-dvd-set/?
as well as the wiki and Svenge's Home Video Compendium @ http://svenge.pcriot.com/
Last edited by ShikinamiAyanami on Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:13 pm

I only got into Eva during the Renewal/Platinum releases (back in '05-'06), but props to you for doing your research. :D I'm sure either Svenge or ATH can help answer your question soon enough. Happy Holidays!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:54 pm

Sorry if I'm late, but I've been ridiculously busy during the last few weeks. @SSD: well, I watched Eva for the first time sometime in late 2008 ;)

Let's see... first of all, let's take a look at the main releases of the Evangelion TV series as they were broadcasted or released in Japan. I know the terminology I use is somewhat non-standard but I hope it helps to clear up the confusion between the various "OA"/"DC" labels:
    * TV version, broadcast on TV Tokyo between 1995-10-04 and 1996-03-27
    * Video & LD version, released on VHS, LD and later DVD between 1995-12-21 and 1998-09-09, also known as DC/"Original DC"/NPC/etc + a special "On Air" LD (Genesis 0:X) released as an extra sometime in 1999 - note the huge gap between Genesis 0:10 (ep #19-20, 1996-12-05) and Genesis 0:11 (ep #21-#22, 1998-02-04)
    * Death, as part of DEATH & REBIRTH (premiered on 1997-03-15, during the Genesis 0:10 - Genesis 0:11 gap)
    * Renewal, released on DVD between 2003-07-24 and 2003-11-27 - I'll call ep 21-24 Renewal OA and ep 21'-24' Renewal DC.
View Original PostShikinamiAyanami wrote:I know that the OA episodes included in this release, however (similar to those on the Japanese Renewal DVD release) aren't the true "On-Air" episodes - they are identical to the re-animated DC episodes, just minus the extra footage inserted from the Japanese "Death" (basically, an upgraded imitation of the "true, aired-on-TV" broadcast episodes 21-24).

Right, the Platinum releases are directly derived from Renewal. The only significant difference is that Platinums don't include the two feature films and a few extras. To be pedantic, the Renewal OA episodes aren't completely identical to the Renewal DC episodes. They share most of the reanimated footage that first appeared in Video & LD but a few cuts in the Renewal OA come either from the original "On-Air" or were reanimated again just for Renewal OA.

The relation between the original DEATH and the Video & LD new cuts is interesting. Video & LD reuses for its episodes 21-24 a lot of new animation that first appeared in Death, but it also contains new versions of other cuts that Death reused untouched from "On-Air", often in the same scene. It's especially noticeable in the material from Episode 23. On the other side, a few cuts in Death (Asuka in the bathtub from #24 and the wide pan on the Requarium from #23, for example) are visibly different from either "On-Air" and Video & LD.

We can't exclude that the Death(true)2 we know from Renewal might have been substantially reworked from the original version of Death, though. Hopefully the new BD release will help clarify the issue.

View Original PostShikinamiAyanami wrote:So, question cluster #1: I've read again and again how ADV started using the "Japanese broadcast masters" from episode 20 onward for their own DVD releases. How exactly do these "broadcast masters" differ from the Japanese "Home Video masters?" Are the broadcast masters exactly the same in content to the true, aired-on-TV broadcast episodes? Were these broadcast masters the masters used for Genesis 0:X and the Second Impact #2 box?

Short version: we don't really know. ADV was forced to use the "broadcast masters" as they couldn't wait for the official Video & LD masters during the Genesis 0:10 - 0:11 delay.
As far as we know, the video release that best approximates the "TV version" is Genesis 0:X. It even includes the still images at the beginning and the end of each episode that the TV stations used to overlay the name of their sponsors over.
I haven't done any detailed comparison between Genesis 0:X and the "OA" version from ADV's Resurrection DVD, but they seemed pretty much identical from what I can remember.

View Original PostShikinamiAyanami wrote:Finally, how do these broadcast masters differ from the Home Video masters? Are the differences between them what everyone refers to as the "re-drawing/re-animating" of certain scenes from episodes 21 upward? Thus, are the Home Video masters, re-mastered AND with the extra DC footage from the Death what we are seeing on Renewal and in the Platinum set?

Basically, yes. Video & LD contained those heavily reworked versions of Episode 21-24 that include many of the edits that first appeared in Death. We usually call those episodes "DC" following ADV's convention. Those episodes were later included (with some slight changes) in the remastered Renewal edition where they were renamed 21'-24' (the name change might have appeared earlier on the Second Impact box, I don't know).

Those may be helpful:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_21_OA_vs._DC
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_22_OA_vs._DC
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_23_OA_vs._DC
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Guides:Episode_24_OA_vs._DC (not complete yet, I really need to clean up my notes first)

Question cluster #2 will have to wait for a while, sorry :wink:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”