[News] strange happenings of 2015

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:08 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Well, damn it, Monk, where else can we discuss the deplorable situation of Renaissance Italy's social situation!?

QC, in the "Discuss!" subforum of course!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:09 am

I dunno...isn't that forum a hotbed of Pope-supporting Ghibellines, with their backwards country ways?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:11 am

Well, it's really not for me to comment on that, is it!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:49 am

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:07 pm

[url]http://www.sankei.com/economy/news/150102/ecn1501020005-n1.html[/url]

Essentially according to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police, the Mount Gox thing (contrary to what they are saying) is that the illegal transfer, disappearances of BitCoin was an inside job. Sorry it is in Japanese.
I feel old

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:02 pm

View Original PostThe Imperialist wrote:[url]http://www.sankei.com/economy/news/150102/ecn1501020005-n1.html[/url]

Essentially according to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police, the Mount Gox thing (contrary to what they are saying) is that the illegal transfer, disappearances of BitCoin was an inside job. Sorry it is in Japanese.

And thus it could be something to do with at least one suicide of those execs handling the business.

Also, the North would love to use this as agitprop ammo:
http://www.philstar.com/world/2015/01/03/1409055/living-hell-slaves-remote-south-korean-islands?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:04 pm

I think bitcoin is viable money. I have a bitcoin wallet, and I've mined them (which is nothing more than providing transactional services). It's actually more transparent than anything that exists since everyone can see the public ledger, everyone can see every transaction and every transaction is traceable. It's definitely dangerous in some ways because it's a pretty new way of doing things, like if you lose your private keys, then you lose your money.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:09 pm

I want to get into bitcoin but everything I read about it makes my eyes glaze over.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:00 pm

I second what Ornette said except I don't have any cuz I intend to use bitcoin as an actual money once it's sufficiently mainstream rather than as a stock to buy into and hope its value goes up and fret over the price of every day.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:25 am

I personally would say once proper regulations starts popping up and accountability then I might consider. Until then, too high risk for me.

In another news, major Japanese (domestic) companies are starting to consider salary raises (10% or so) it is always good to see Keynesian economics working as theory predicts.
I feel old

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:03 pm

[s:3sq7d0mx]My view[/s:3sq7d0mx] on bitcoin: http://brokenlibrarian.org/bitcoin/

EDIT: Sorry, I wrote that in a hurry. Obviously I have not written that article, but I do agree with it, like 100%.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:15 pm

Getting away from the mess that is bitcoin:
FOR SCIENCE!
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 pm

View Original PostBiQ wrote:[s]My view[/s] on bitcoin: http://brokenlibrarian.org/bitcoin/

EDIT: Sorry, I wrote that in a hurry. Obviously I have not written that article, but I do agree with it, like 100%.

I should quote that the next time it gets mentioned somewhere.

The Imperialist
Pilot
Pilot

Postby The Imperialist » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:52 pm

I remember Prof. Krugman going on about why bitcoin is bad too- and how it is also economically speaking proto-gold standard. His blog methinks.

In another news, maglev train plan in Japan looks like it is very much on schedule (one of the check up by the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure is about to happen soon) In fact, they are thinking of extending the line from Nagoya to Osaka and trying to figure out the economic benefits of extending the line. Again, in Japanese.

[url]http://www.sankei.com/economy/news/150104/ecn1501040003-n1.html[/url]
I feel old

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:14 am

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5oInypeRpo[/url]
creating the abomination that was sonic-chu and insulting basically all transgender people by pretending to be a woman so he can get laid (that was actually his reasoning) was not enough for chris-chan it seems.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:14 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5oInypeRpo[/url]
creating the abomination that was sonic-chu and insulting basically all transgender people by pretending to be a woman so he can get laid (that was actually his reasoning) was not enough for chris-chan it seems.

The last that was heard of him was that their house burned down after the coffee machine caught fire, and, according to KYM, he ranted at the manufacturer.

Ah, as what Warhol said, in this century everyone gets his or her 15 minutes.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:37 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5oInypeRpo[/url]

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

What a moron.

In other news, Ebola is in the UK, and the nurse who brought it here (although it is thought there are other potential carriers in the country) is in critical condition.

Welp, I'd best get laid before the end of the world.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:41 pm

It's not the first case to be treated here; and sad though it is, there are many, many diseases that kill more people than ebola.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:35 pm

I expect minor panic followed by either death of the nurse or a recovery, at which point the nation will eventually move on to the next great catastrophe.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:15 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I expect minor panic followed by either death of the nurse or a recovery

Listen m80, the only thing that'll make us panic is a sudden shortage of beer, port, cheese and crackers.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”