So we're about to live the days of the Angel attacks?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:05 pm

I was hoping we wouldn't run into continuity errors like this. Now that we have, it casts doubt on just how reliable any dates are that we find. :irked:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:18 pm

I'm not disappointed, because like Chuckman I never expected that they would have gone the extra distance and put in so much effort for so little gain just to make sure all possible dates line up. Given what we know about the production of the series and just the general quality of animation at the time it would have been surprising if they had been able to keep complete consistency about something so unimportant.

Gotta say I'm quite surprised to learn that Asuka joined Shinji's class so damn late in the year, though. (How did I never notice the date on the chalkboard?) I would not have thought that what I think of as the most important events of Evangelion were compressed into such a short time frame. Asuka and Shinji knew each other for only three months by the time he was telling her in P3II how much he wanted to be with her forever!
Last edited by Monk Ed on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:25 pm

Yea I have always been bothered by the continuity errors in Eva. Simply put, I have my own head cannon about any series just so it could be realistic. I didn't assume Evangelion dates where reliable in the first place. Unless the date is important to the story, the best we are given is the month and year.

I just like to think of Evangelion was real, that the dates and times would organize themselves. It is unrealistic to think Gainax was keen on getting it right.

Who knows maybe they will release something with 20th Anniversary that will have a complete timeline.

The dates are almost as bad as the Evangelion and Character heights.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:42 pm

The Evangelions are capable of changing size via AT-Field magic. It's not a mistake, it's just never mentioned because they're supposed to do that.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:47 pm

For whatever it's worth, my Japanese Twitter friend apparently got it from the Japanese wikipedia page about the 2015 in fiction section. I dunno, lol. (Click フィクションのできごと if it doesn't load right.)

Really strange about Chronicle, either way! Both the French and Japanese versions mention the same thing, huh?

I don't worry too much about the time frame of Eva, other than it seems things happen in a super fast pace and the series allegedly ends in 2016 (TV series end at least, if you don't think EoTV and EoE tell the same ending).

Might research for fun if Japanese fans come to similar or different conclusions we have...
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:21 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Asuka and Shinji knew each other for only three months by the time he was telling her in P3II how much he wanted to be with her forever!

I didn't consider that before-- like, at all. Damn, that really doesn't give them that much time together at all. So, not only is Shinji quick to latch on to Asuka, but she's pretty eager to latch onto him, too!

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:30 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I didn't consider that before-- like, at all. Damn, that really doesn't give them that much time together at all. So, not only is Shinji quick to latch on to Asuka, but she's pretty eager to latch onto him, too!

For how realistic the characters are, I find that to be a little too fast. Who knows maybe off-screen bonding was in order. Or maybe Shinji does look at Asuka (as every other boy in school)as being someone who is very attractive but he is able to hide it. We know from Asuka's side that all she wants is for him to just hold her, so I imagine after 3I it wouldn't be too difficult to accept each other's love.

IMO I would add a month or two by backing up when Asuka arrives to be in July. This would just make it more realistic as they aren't jumping on eachother within less than 4 months. Then again I don't believe anyone has been put into a situation that they would have to live with someone who could potentially be their future love.

In never helps that durning the NGE time period they are going through a global warming state to the point where it's always summer.

This is making my brain hurt, again.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:07 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:For whatever it's worth, my Japanese Twitter friend apparently got it from the Japanese wikipedia page about the 2015 in fiction section. I dunno, lol. (Click フィクションのできごと if it doesn't load right.)

Thanks for the link! Yeah, it says there that Sachiel attacked on June 22nd. However, I noticed that the link is to the mobile version of the Japanese Wikipedia, so I switched over to the desktop version out of curiosity. On the desktop version, right above that section is a box saying that a source for the information is required. In other words, we don't know the original source of that June 22nd date, so we can't confirm if it's reliable. Darn. Ah well, the search continues. ^_^

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Really strange about Chronicle, either way!

The Chronicle timeline does provide a few precise dates for stuff that happened before 2015, but not during 2015... again, except for the day that Asuka joined Shinji's class. Well, as others have stated on this topic, it's not the most important aspect of the show, so the Gainax staff was probably busy worrying about bigger things rather than putting much thought into this. It's still entertaining to discuss it just for fun, though. :D
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:53 am

ISTR something about the order of a couple of episodes shortly after Asuka's arrival being swapped about in production, which might explain continuity slips.

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:Who knows maybe off-screen bonding was in order.
Asuka and Hikari become firm friends in the gap between episodes.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:55 am

And we still have yet to figure out where Girlfriend Of Steel fits into the timeline. . .

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:25 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:For how realistic the characters are, I find that to be a little too fast. Who knows maybe off-screen bonding was in order. Or maybe Shinji does look at Asuka (as every other boy in school)as being someone who is very attractive but he is able to hide it. We know from Asuka's side that all she wants is for him to just hold her, so I imagine after 3I it wouldn't be too difficult to accept each other's love.

IMO I would add a month or two by backing up when Asuka arrives to be in July. This would just make it more realistic as they aren't jumping on eachother within less than 4 months. Then again I don't believe anyone has been put into a situation that they would have to live with someone who could potentially be their future love.

Well you have to remember that at the point where Shinji wants Asuka, all he really wants is someone to be there for him. Like Asuka says in his pre-3I dream: "Anyone will do." I do believe that Shinji realized that he and Asuka had a lot in common towards the end (check my signature) but whether he truly loved her at this point is up for debate. Also it's not all that unrealistic for teenagers to claim that they love someone they've only known for a short period of time.
"Even just the sight of you gets on my nerves!" - Asuka Langley Soryu
"Because I'm just like you?" - Shinji Ikari

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:13 pm

On the subject of that one continuity error, I'm just gonna say that the show overrides all other sources. Clearly both can't be correct, so the Chronicle has to be wrong.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:ISTR something about the order of a couple of episodes shortly after Asuka's arrival being swapped about in production, which might explain continuity slips.

Is that so? I would never have guessed, although it being the action arc there's not really any thematic progression to notice.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:51 pm

View Original PostAtropos wrote:On the subject of that one continuity error, I'm just gonna say that the show overrides all other sources. Clearly both can't be correct, so the Chronicle has to be wrong.

The date mentioned in Chronicle is in the show itself. The show is not contradicting just Chronicle here, the show is contradicting itself.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Specifically, Asuka cannot have arrived in Japan in the end of September and then have battled and defeated Israfel on September 11th. Her arrival date is written on the blackboard when she introduces herself to the class, and it was determined that Israfel was defeated on September 11th because we know it was a Friday, and the only two 11th dates falling on a Friday in 2015 were in September and December, and we know it couldn't have been in December because too much time goes by in the rest of the show before we hit EoE (if you subscribe to DC) and we know that EoE takes place on December 31st.

Long story short, show contradicts itself and makes us question how accurate all the dates are.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:35 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:and the only two 11th dates falling on a Friday in 2015 were in September and December, and we know it couldn't have been in December because too much time goes by in the rest of the show before we hit EoE (if you subscribe to DC) and we know that EoE takes place on December 31st.

Even disregarding the to-me already questionable date of EoE, it seems ludicrous that 3 months would have passed between Asuka's introduction to the class and the Israfel fight. So I think even anti-concurrency people would be on board with chalking this up to an error.

If we really wanted to stretch, we might suppose that Misato's calendar is a misprint in-universe but in classic lazy fashion she just couldn't be arsed to replace it with a correct one. Or, conversely, either the date on the blackboard is wrong or the date was actually like a homework deadline or something.
System Administrator

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:33 pm

View Original PostLukeMM95 wrote:Well you have to remember that at the point where Shinji wants Asuka, all he really wants is someone to be there for him. Like Asuka says in his pre-3I dream: "Anyone will do." I do believe that Shinji realized that he and Asuka had a lot in common towards the end (check my signature) but whether he truly loved her at this point is up for debate. Also it's not all that unrealistic for teenagers to claim that they love someone they've only known for a short period of time.

I out of everyone on this fourm should know this the most, because I see it happen around me daily... :facepalm:

I think I will fallback on my theroy of off-screen bonding, just because it seems to be a reasonable explaination for this.

Also to mention how people I have talked to told me that Asuka and Shinji may have been planned to have sex before Asuka's mind rape, and some believe that this still happened off screen. If this is theorized then it is much more reasonable to assume off screen they slowly got closer to eachother, even if by the near end it gets a little messed up. We do know that there is some level of acceptance of the two in that very last EOE scene.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:53 pm

I definitely don't think there were any plans made for nookie between Shinji and Asuka. Did Shinji think about it? No, I don't think he did at all. Did Asuka? I don't think she wanted to pork Shinji any more than he did her.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:29 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I definitely don't think there were any plans made for nookie between Shinji and Asuka. Did Shinji think about it? No, I don't think he did at all. Did Asuka? I don't think she wanted to pork Shinji any more than he did her.

People believe so, because of the fact there is a shot in EOE with Asuka over Shinji and they both are naked, and relate that to the fact of how almost every shot in EOE is a worse version of a previous scene from NGE.

I agree with you on this if Asuka and Shinji really did I believe it would be to important not to show.

LukeMM95
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby LukeMM95 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:05 am

I'm all for the idea that Shinji and Asuka got closer on some level as the series progressed, but I don't believe the two ever had sex. I think something like that would have affected the two (especially Shinji) in a much more noticeable way.

As for the brief "suggestive" shot between the two during the pre-3I dream, I think that was just something completely fabricated in Shinji's mind, just like the fight in the kitchen. Maybe Shinji was trying to picture being "together" with Asuka, only to realize that she'd probably still get pissed off over nothing.

All this being said, I really wish we got to see more of what happened with Asuka after her mind rape in Episode 22. I mean we see that she started staying with Hikari's in Episode 23 and then in Episode 24 we see her in a dirty bathtub on the verge of death. There's also that brief flashback to when Shinji tells her that Kaji is "gone". Does that happen before her suicide attempt or before she runs away to Hikari's place? Basically what I'm saying is; it would have been nice to see what happened inbetween these events.
"Even just the sight of you gets on my nerves!" - Asuka Langley Soryu
"Because I'm just like you?" - Shinji Ikari

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:43 am

View Original PostLukeMM95 wrote:I'm all for the idea that Shinji and Asuka got closer on some level as the series progressed, but I don't believe the two ever had sex. I think something like that would have affected the two (especially Shinji) in a much more noticeable way.

That's what I said to the person that was explaining this to me. But he just used the justification that Asuka says something in one of the episodes that she doesn't even want kids, implying that maybe it did happen.

I take this as I take the cut out Angels or anything that may have been planned for Evangelion but never made it in. It is cool that said plans were thoughts of, but it being cut means it's not apart of the story. This is unless the added the DC editions which then added scenes to some of the episodes.

So I was just using the fact that people theroize this to make it far more reasonable for for my opinion that they bonded off screen. Not defending it, and my stance on it is what you said. Something as big as them having sex would've effected them much more.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”