What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:24 am

Everybody is good but Mads can carry that whole show on his back if he needs to.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:14 pm

I watched bits and pieces of the first season of Hannibal and I thought it was interesting enough to tune in for the second season. I like Mads Mikkelson's take on Hannibal Lector. I still have a soft spot (if you could call it that) for Anthony Hopkins from "Silence of the Lambs" (the poster alone gave me nightmares) but Mads doesn't copy Hopkins but has the almost thankless task of making Hannibal Lector scary again. Because you know who Hannibal is already, its like every time he invites somebody over for dinner and it shows the food, you get tense even though it all looks so tasty :shifty:

I think it goes without saying the second season gets a LOT weirder. We were watching it and every week my Mom would like "I don't think I should watch anymore. This is getting too freaky." Yup. I watched it with my parents, because we're weird :rolleyes:

Anyway, shows I've been watching:

Top of the Lake, episode 2. A detective drama set in New Zealand involving a missing 12 year old girl who has somehow become five months pregnant. I'm always hesitant to start a new series but since it kept popping up on my Netflix queue and its only seven episodes, I decided to give it a shot. Its interesting so far, especially since Elizabeth Moss is in it and I know her from "Mad Men" (aka "Watch Don Draper fuck up his life because he can show") and its a very understated performance (I never know how talk about actors without sounding like a moron)

still watching True Detective but now I'm up to episode 5

Also I decided to start UFO the other night but I've only watched one episode of it. I like the set design and the costumes though
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:31 am

Season 2 is really weird and a serious departure from the tone of the books, vastly moreso than Season 1 which stretched it to begin with. The books are thrillers and not particularly eerie compared to the heavy nightmare imagery and symbolism in the show.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:09 am

Netflix picked up Longmire for a 4th season after a&e canceled it for no reason (its viewing numbers did not dwindle at all!!!)
FUCKYES!!! :D

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:42 am

Hannibal season 2 episode 7: Yakimono

Holy shit.

Also, Alana, you sexy fool!

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:00 am

Parks and Recreation. It's fucking hilarious. I love that it doesn't have a laugh track. Aziz and Nick are fucking perfect.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sat Dec 13, 2014 5:42 am

I’m thirty years late to the party- but I’ve finally discovered the joys of watching M*A*S*H.

The UK channel “True Entertainment” has been playing all 11 seasons from start to finish on repeat, which is nice; but it didn’t play the famous, final episode and some of the earlier seasons sport the highly off-putting laughter track.

Being able to watch the show from start to finish on a daily basis no-doubt gave me a different experience (compared to that of the original audience who watched weekly over a decade long’s run-time)… but the shift in tone from dark comedy to dramedy, and characters coming and going didn’t hurt the show one bit for me; it was a shame to see characters like Frank Burns go, but his replacement Charles Winchester injected new life into the camp. The show just got better and better as time went by.

There are too many to name, but a few favourite episodes would include:
“The Sniper” (S2 E10) – Being the first full episode I watched it immediately holds a special place for me… or maybe it was just getting to see Radar’s bare arse that did that.
“Welcome to Korea” (part 2) (S4 E2) – New character BJ is introduced in the best possible way- by subjecting him to all the worst things the Korean war can throw at him.
“The Interview” (S4 E25) – Big surprise. Everybody who has seen this one loves it.
“Movie Tonight” (S5 E21) – A nice change of pace where we see the characters just dicking around and entertaining themselves as they struggle to fix a movie projector.
“Old Soldiers” (S8 E18) – Col. Potter is my favourite character, so the final scene to this episode was very moving.

I’m hard pressed to remember a bad episode; there was a clip show or two, but no episode struck me as “boring”…
“The Joker is Wild” (S11 E4) – Was probably the closest thing to a really unpleasant episode there was… I know that’s an odd thing to say about a show set in the middle of a war. BJ goes around playing some rather idiotic pranks on the camp, such as blowing up Klinger’s office…um, dangerous much? The final twist saves the episode from being completely awful, but the destination doesn’t always make up for the journey.

The stories and characters are believable, funny and occasionally powerful. It’s burning a lot of candles now, but each episode feels fresh and relevant. I would say that the show hasn’t aged a day.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:35 am

SCORPION
OK all caught up, it's cheesy sappy unrealistic at times... but it's fun and heart felt as it can possibly be.
The christmas episode in particular was fantastic on every level.
happy's developments at the end in particular where very well done emotionally

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:07 am

I'm ready for the seventh and final season of Parks & Rec. The show has been relatively consistent, but I think seasons 2-4 were the best. 1, 5 and 6 were good too. The show must also be well-liked by a lot of government workers, even in the higher positions seeing as how they got cameos from people like Michelle Obama and Joe Biden.

e:

Finished Hannibal season 2. That finale was... delicious. The show's always been special, but this episode in particular didn't feel like television... it felt like HBO.

SPOILER: Show
For a moment there I thought the two were about to kiss, but instead we got something much more intimate. Hardcore penetration. So damn romantic. Hannigram is pretty much canon. To me the show now feels more like a romance than anything else. Did you see the guy tearing up as he said good-bye? He wanted Will to be a part of his new life. Fuck those people who just got brutally murdered, I feel sorry for this guy. Betrayed by the one he loved most.

As the series progressed it started to become more and more unrealistic. I actually think this lead to an improvement, but the shift was somewhat jarring at first. And the show does have flaws overall, but the finale was superb and most of the time it's entertaining. There were a few parts that were just kind of boring and/or superfluous, but they are outweighed by the good parts.

I would totally be ok with this being the series ending, but

I'm looking forward to season 3.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:03 am

first and formost, if you like period pieces, crime dramas, gangster movies or shows, any of the following actors - cillian murphy, sam neil, tom hardy & shorter seasoned shows, PLEASE watch this show, it is so damn good.
PEAKY BLINDERS - Season 2
- season 1 was very good, season 2 is many many times better
- tom hardy who was not in season 1 gives a awesome mostly restrained performance as a swapping back and forth ally/villain for murphy's lead, touches of humor here and there, there final scene this season is phenomenal.
- the show is about bad men with i won't say conscience but they are aware they are in the wrong, but it is the life they have chosen, yet here and there there are touches of them having regret or speaking very highly of when they have done something more right than wrong such as murphy's attempts at making his business more and more on the legal side of things however slow it may be.
- the grudgery between sam neil's government agent and murphy is brought up to unbearable levels.
- people have complained about neil's irish accent, whatever you may think of it, overdone or not, must give him credit for sticking with it, cus it never wavers once in memory.
- romantic side of season 2 i enjoyed much more than the one in season 2, the romantic female character played by charlotte riley (tom hardy's wife) i like a lot more than grace from season 1 also.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:10 am

Just started Battlestar Galatica (2004). What have I gotten myself into?

Also, all I can think of is that one dude is General Tullius' voice from Skyrim.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:11 pm

Good news! The Wire is out in HD.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:14 pm

Bad news! It's cropped.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:17 pm

Are you sure? Everything I've seen indicated otherwise.
the prophecy is true

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:05 pm

It''s remastered from the original 35mm film.

http://www.slashfilm.com/the-wire-hd-remasters/

Some of it looks cropped, because they said the additional images on either side of the original 4:3 framing wasn't supposed to be seen (like film crew) so there wasn't any other way except to crop a little.

Image comparison: http://imgur.com/a/XUzI4

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:33 am

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:I’m thirty years late to the party- but I’ve finally discovered the joys of watching M*A*S*H.

The UK channel “True Entertainment” has been playing all 11 seasons from start to finish on repeat, which is nice; but it didn’t play the famous, final episode and some of the earlier seasons sport the highly off-putting laughter track.

Being able to watch the show from start to finish on a daily basis no-doubt gave me a different experience (compared to that of the original audience who watched weekly over a decade long’s run-time)… but the shift in tone from dark comedy to dramedy, and characters coming and going didn’t hurt the show one bit for me; it was a shame to see characters like Frank Burns go, but his replacement Charles Winchester injected new life into the camp. The show just got better and better as time went by.

There are too many to name, but a few favourite episodes would include:
“The Sniper” (S2 E10) – Being the first full episode I watched it immediately holds a special place for me… or maybe it was just getting to see Radar’s bare arse that did that.
“Welcome to Korea” (part 2) (S4 E2) – New character BJ is introduced in the best possible way- by subjecting him to all the worst things the Korean war can throw at him.
“The Interview” (S4 E25) – Big surprise. Everybody who has seen this one loves it.
“Movie Tonight” (S5 E21) – A nice change of pace where we see the characters just dicking around and entertaining themselves as they struggle to fix a movie projector.
“Old Soldiers” (S8 E18) – Col. Potter is my favourite character, so the final scene to this episode was very moving.

I’m hard pressed to remember a bad episode; there was a clip show or two, but no episode struck me as “boring”…
“The Joker is Wild” (S11 E4) – Was probably the closest thing to a really unpleasant episode there was… I know that’s an odd thing to say about a show set in the middle of a war. BJ goes around playing some rather idiotic pranks on the camp, such as blowing up Klinger’s office…um, dangerous much? The final twist saves the episode from being completely awful, but the destination doesn’t always make up for the journey.

The stories and characters are believable, funny and occasionally powerful. It’s burning a lot of candles now, but each episode feels fresh and relevant. I would say that the show hasn’t aged a day.

This is a Great show, I grew up watching this with my dad. I've probably seen every episode, but thinking back to it all I can remember is Hawkeye was my favorite character, Winchester is better than Burns, and the episode "Dreams". I hope you had a chance to see it, that's my all time favorite MASH episode.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:38 pm

Just finished watching Kings (2009). How did this show not get a second season? It was awesome.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:46 am

CONSTANTINE
- it's really really damn good
- 2nd episode with the mine is pure X-Files style awesome
- omg episode 4 went really really Dark, thoose last few moments are haunting as fuck. Yet strangely comforting.
- papa midnight is great, his Banter with Constantine is fantastic would love for him to be a regular on the show.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:56 am

Just finished Justified season 5. A bit of a step down from previous seasons but still a very fun show filled with quotable dialogue and some of the best dark comedy they've ever done even if the main plot line was a little weak.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Archer season 6 is off to a pretty good start. Vice took the show in a different direction, which was cool, but it didn't work quite as well. It's nice to see a return to form, so the show can do what it does best.

And It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia continues to shine into its 10th season. Most shows would have experienced a significant decline in quality, but Sunny's been fairly consistent.

And the Cartoon Network shows I'm following have also returned, except for Clarence. They should really do more stuff like Over the Garden Wall. That thing was exceptional, to put it lightly. It aired all 10 of its episodes over the course of five nights, during the week of Halloween. I'd really like to see them make this a yearly thing. Not necessarily for Halloween or even any holiday, but just as an annual special sort of thing. Gives creators a chance to make something with a planned beginning, middle and end. It's a nice change of pace from the ongoing episodic format CN shows have.

Return to “Film and Video”