So, who's into conspiracy theories?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:07 am

If you want i could pm the instructions to you, but it's copywrited information so I won't post it here.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:09 am

Sure, I'd definitely give it a read.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:11 am

Alright, I'll send it to you later then.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:15 am

View Original PostSorrow wrote:[s]--[/s]Cough[s]--[/s]

You should get that looked at.

Chaddy: There are plenty of books on the occult if one knows where to look, but I encourage you to research the background on the authors, as it's very easy to write a load of crap and claim it's occultic knowledge.

I would advise first taking a look at historical occultic works (as in, legitimate historians looking at the occult as a historical phenomenon, as opposed to occult writers writing about the occult). Books on Freemasonry tend to be a safe bet, as it is a large fraternity with a long lineage and members who are happy to talk about certain things within reason (they aren't really a secret society: more of a confidential society). A lot of their practices are easy to find, and contain various allegories and mystical metaphors that are fascinating to study and can serve as a 'primer' on the occult.

If you like that...Rosicrucianism. Looking for that (or the phrase 'Rosy Cross') brings up a fascinating history that predates Freemasonry (Rosicrucianism can trace it's lineage to 1607, and to this date no one knows who created the first Rosy Cross manifestos: they're most likely hoaxes, but they are such interesting hoaxes!).

A lot of modern religious groups also have occultic elements that can be dissected and studied (such as Sufism, Kabbala, Yezidism, and Nizari Ismailism...the latter is quite interesting, as that is the religious group that the Assassins belonged to).
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

TheAdmiral
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:20 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:You should get that looked at.

Chaddy: There are plenty of books on the occult if one knows where to look, but I encourage you to research the background on the authors, as it's very easy to write a load of crap and claim it's occultic knowledge.

I would advise first taking a look at historical occultic works (as in, legitimate historians looking at the occult as a historical phenomenon, as opposed to occult writers writing about the occult). Books on Freemasonry tend to be a safe bet, as it is a large fraternity with a long lineage and members who are happy to talk about certain things within reason (they aren't really a secret society: more of a confidential society). A lot of their practices are easy to find, and contain various allegories and mystical metaphors that are fascinating to study and can serve as a 'primer' on the occult.

If you like that...Rosicrucianism. Looking for that (or the phrase 'Rosy Cross') brings up a fascinating history that predates Freemasonry (Rosicrucianism can trace it's lineage to 1607, and to this date no one knows who created the first Rosy Cross manifestos: they're most likely hoaxes, but they are such interesting hoaxes!).

A lot of modern religious groups also have occultic elements that can be dissected and studied (such as Sufism, Kabbala, Yezidism, and Nizari Ismailism...the latter is quite interesting, as that is the religious group that the Assassins belonged to).

Best post so far in this thread.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:22 am

@ Gob
I'm not really into occult books anymore. I think the last conspiracy book I read was Holy Blood and Holy Grail.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:22 am

:shinjismile:

Much obliged, Admiral.

Reminds me: a favorite book of mine is The Templars and the Assassins: The Militia of Heaven, by James Wasserman. It's a history of both orders, but Wasserman is a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis, so he also goes into his idea of the occultic ideas behind each group. There are some things that one should take with some skepticism, but it is a fascinating book.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:41 am

I'd suggest Disinfo's Book of Lies (not Crowley's Book of Lies) as a starting point for the curious. It covers basically every topic relating to the occult in quick essays, some of which are less digestible than others.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TheAdmiral
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:42 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote::shinjismile:

Much obliged, Admiral.

Reminds me: a favorite book of mine is The Templars and the Assassins: The Militia of Heaven, by James Wasserman. It's a history of both orders, but Wasserman is a member of the Ordo Templi Orientis, so he also goes into his idea of the occultic ideas behind each group. There are some things that one should take with some skepticism, but it is a fascinating book.

There's a surprising amount of very relevant and concise information available to the public, provided that one knows where to look, and you seem to be on the right track. A balance of an open mind and skepticism is very healthy and necessary to wade through all the information. As for the things that aren't made public... People in general simply aren't ready for that yet.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:50 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'd suggest Disinfo's Book of Lies (not Crowley's Book of Lies) as a starting point for the curious. It covers basically every topic relating to the occult in quick essays, some of which are less digestible than others.

That's actually one I haven't heard of...but it's going in the library now!

TheAdmiral: That balance is key, right there: an inquisitive and obsessive curiosity balanced with an atheist's skepticism.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:51 am

View Original PostTheAdmiral wrote:People in general simply aren't ready for that yet.
And you know this, how?

Presumably you're implying you know some information that is yet to be made public. How did you discover it, and how did you prepare for it?
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:26 am

If we're talking about secret societies and conspiracies in literature, might I recommend The Davinci Code? The writing isn't outstanding-- this isn't a book you read as a great work of literature-- but it's an interesting story, and a generally fun ride all the way through.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:38 am

^

....no, Nuke. Just...no.

No.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:42 am

^
I very much agree;

Nuke, just stick with Bloodline of the Holy Grail or Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:07 am

^

Frankly, those are both full of crap as well: lots of pseudohistory with nothing to back it. I mean, they're interesting reads...but crap history.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:08 am

If I'm reading a book like that, I'm not looking for devout historical accuracy. There's got to be some playing around with details in there.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:18 am

The 2 books that Chaddy listed claim to be actual history: they are non fiction books. As for Dan Brown, I will admit to reading and sometimes even enjoying his books, but he offends me on a very personal level as a historian. He has outright claim that his books are based on fact, which they REALLY aren't. In terms of this discussion, there are much better books, including fiction, that a person can go to for the occult.

Now, if you're including Dan Brown's books in terms of just plain old conspiracy theories, Nuke, then I can back you on that: he does weave intriguing conspiracies. It's just...he pisses me off so much!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:19 am

@ Gob

Pseudo-history? They gave historical sources for everything they referred to, even if some was common lore of the time.

Apophenia is the norm for conspiracy theories.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Not hard to explain really. Bl

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:19 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:I heard that it was likely that they had prior knowledge of the attacks,

They got a memo out of a probable thousands on similar threats. The bigger issue is why the respective intelligence agencies weren't communicating, so the FBI could know from the CIA that these men were in the country, and who they were suspected of being. Additionally, the FBI not letting the NSA know when they arrested one of them.

My history/civics/geography teacher in parts of middle and high school showed us a documentary on 9/11 (he also showed us the Matrix). I don't remember too much about it, but ever since I've held that the official story at least has some holes in it, if it's not outright absurd. One thing in particular that was interesting was how there were explosions at the base of the building(s?)

Shockwaves and fluidic debris that traveled down the elevator shafts. If you pay attention to the accounts, many say the "explosion" came out of the elevators.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:23 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:It's just...he pisses me off so much!

Meh, to each their own. I'm pretty good at ignoring authors' personal lives-- otherwise, I'd have never made it through Ender's Game.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”