"Until You Come to me" EVA SHORT FILM 3+1 HYPE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Maybe the "singer" is Kaworu. Doo hoo hoo!

OppaiDefender
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OppaiDefender » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:46 pm

As a huge Kaworu fanboy I really hope we see more of him, although he was pretty dead last time I saw him.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:53 pm

View Original PostOppaiDefender wrote:he was pretty dead last time I saw him.

Well, we saw the whizzy view of him vanishing into the distance some time after his head had been blown off, so there's that....
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Na7e
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Na7e » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:56 pm

View Original PostOppaiDefender wrote:As a huge Kaworu fanboy I really hope we see more of him, although he was pretty dead last time I saw him.

Don't worry he'll show up again...that being said I wouldn't expect anything more than a cameo. With how they handled his death in 3.0, it would be counter-productive for him to show up like nothing, and remain a main character.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:28 pm

View Original PostOppaiDefender wrote:although he was pretty dead last time I saw him.

His saying to Shinji they'll meet again probably refers to some kind of Instrumentality or metaphysical weirdness, but FINAL being a brand-new ballgame, who knows for sure. Maybe a new clone, though I doubt it since Seele's officially gone...

@ Reichu: Jeez, the "singer" being either Kaworu, Rei, or Yui is just depressing. :(
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:37 pm

I hadn't expected the discussion of the title to go quite that way - but after all, it's what they chose, and so presumably has a meaning of some sort.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Being the LRS supporter that I am, I feel that I must interject somewhere in this conversation. -o-;

All I can really say is that the fact that Shinji doesn't appear to be too bothered by the reveal of Rei's origins compared to the simple fact that Rei Q isn't the Rei he knows and loves says it all for me. Whether that makes it romantic or familial is still up in the air. One can view their interactions throughout the series as either come to think about it.

Heck, considering that this series isn't too focused on shipping, I wonder if Anno is deliberately going to leave it up in the air at the end of the next film. Either way, I can't fully see it as being completely just "good friends" considering the devotion Shinji has to the original. Again, it depends on how you view it.

Just some thoughts from slightly biased LRS shipper here. :tongue:
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:55 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:All I can really say is that the fact that Shinji doesn't appear to be too bothered by the reveal of Rei's origins compared to the simple fact that Rei Q isn't the Rei he knows and loves says it all for me.

I'm not sure how you can come to such a conclusion when the character is in complete sensory and information overload. (And people never, ever suppress things they don't want to think about until thinking about it is unavoidable. NEVER!) Give the kid some time to catch up.

Either way, I can't fully see it as being completely just "good friends" considering the devotion Shinji has to the original.

Ah, because a friend or sibling-type relationship can't have the level of devotion that a boning-type relationship does. Got it. And of course things must be purely black and white any which way. Shinji's feeling MUST... UNAMBIGUOUSLY!... be one thing or the other, and it is TOTALLY OUR BUSINESS to define it!... when a person in his shoes couldn't possibly know.

Just some thoughts from slightly biased LRS shipper here. :tongue:

At least you admit it.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:19 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Ah, because a friend or sibling-type relationship can't have the level of devotion that a boning-type relationship does.
They absolutely can not.

How dare you?
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:17 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Maybe the "singer" is Kaworu. Doo hoo hoo!

:kaworusparkle:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:47 pm

^^^ Wow, I sure caused quite the reaction there. -o-;

Hey, I'm just putting out one interpretation of it, not the end-all-be-all one. If you guys see it that way, then so be it. It won't be until the next film that we get some clarification as to what their relationship is.

Can we at least agree that it does at least play a pivotal part in this film series, be it romantic or sibling?
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:18 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Can we at least agree that it does at least play a pivotal part in this film series, be it romantic or sibling?

Everybody's agreed that every time you bring up that point in a thread, though. I'm honestly confused why you're still unsure.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:23 pm

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:Wow, I sure caused quite the reaction there. -o-;

Like most Internet posts, it would benefit greatly from the writer's intended tone of voice. (My sarcasm here is the 'ribbing' kind rather than the bitter kind.)

Can we at least agree that it does at least play a pivotal part in this film series, be it romantic or sibling?

They have a relationship, and it plays a pivotal role. I'm wary of classifying it at the moment, though... I mean, the only reason Rei and Shinji got close in this iteration is because Gendo needed them to get close and manipulated them both accordingly. Perhaps the right term is "manufactured"? :p Très romantique!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:33 pm

Did Gendo create, or set out to guide the inevitable?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:34 pm

Rei's attempt to get Shinji and Gendo to bond, which is always seen as "proof/evidence" of romance on her part, can be also seen as means for her to understand humanity, including her own. I really don't get the romantic vibes. The two just seem closer than they where in the original series. It's more than likely that the ship has sailed and the movie will end with Shinji x self realization.

Also, yeah, everyone knows that in the movies Shinji and Rei's relationship is instrumental to the narrative but that's different than saying "LRS = True love/ship". And this coming from a LRS fan.

Do we might want to split this thread?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Rei IV: Welp, don't look at me! :tongue:

There are people who think that romantic love is the only possible motivation for mediating between disenfranchised family members (that either aren't your own or you aren't aware are your own)? Alrighty then!

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Did Gendo create, or set out to guide the inevitable?

If what he ended up with was inevitable, then there was never any reason to guide it. Perhaps being more specific would help, but that's asking a lot of a Chuckman one-liner.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:13 am

I don't think Gendo created the relationship between Rei and Shinji. Facilitated, but facilitation is not the same as creation. It's inevitable, unless he keeps them totally separated.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:28 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I don't think Gendo created the relationship between Rei and Shinji. Facilitated, but facilitation is not the same as creation. It's inevitable, unless he keeps them totally separated.

Well, considering what we saw in NGE, it would be silly to disagree. I perhaps chose my words misleadingly: the relationship as it is in ENT is Gendo's creation. That level of intimacy was not inevitable. The rainbowy rescue that so many people adore is the result of Gendo intently puppeting them into miniature versions of himself and Yui.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:29 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Shinji x self realization.

SPOILER: Show

:wink:

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:42 am

If 4.0 is going to be set in this city, then man, it's going to be beautiful.

Come to think of it, I want to see a movie now that's just about some kids wandering around an abandoned city.. without having to fight zombies, I mean.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”