The Interview (and America’s Weak Use of the Media)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:06 pm

[url]http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/19/7421373/sony-hackers-wont-release-more-data-because-the-interview-cancelled [/url]
Sony will fold like a napkin.
Why are they letting people that can barely give electricity to their cities push them around? Defeated by a country that during the night hours, is darker than the moon. Good job.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:33 pm

These studios have no integrity in the slightest.

Oh also, the Hackers are making new demands. They demand the Interview NEVER be released. Not even digitally, and that all trailers and interviews with the cast and crew be taken down as well.

Give an inch, they take everything.

Take all discussion about Homefront Here:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17009/Homefront-The-Revolution/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:43 pm

Sony gave permission to the theaters to pull the movie. Sony made a cheap move to make it look like the theaters were pulling the movie. While it's on them for taking advantage of that, Sony could have made them fight to keep from showing it.

I think the threats to the theaters are a red herring. The hackers have something on Sony Pictures so bad that they pretty much have the leverage to demand anything. They may have something on the entire entertainment industry that's so bad that Paramount won't risk pissing them off.

Part of me wonders if this isn't a false flag to justify the Cyber Patriot Act.

space lizards
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:48 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote: to justify the Cyber Patriot Act.

oh come on! i just killed those fucks!
ugh hang on i'll get raiden and snake.

But yeah 0 integrity, really hoping the movie gets "leaked" somehow online, once its on the internet it is there forever.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:00 pm

It's worse than that. They aren't stopping at just the movie. They're demanding the trailers and all interviews with the cast and crew be taken offline as well.

I don't swear often. But I speak for all of us when I say, F##k You Kim Jong Un!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:09 pm

Whereas I don’t thin this is a red herring to propagate the Cyber Patriot Act, I do fear people trying to pull it or other crazy regulatory ideas out if their ass as a way to fix the problem. I would hate for even a “TSA” of sorts to be formed around the internet.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:40 pm

Most likely because those hackers got their hands on corporate and financial secrets Sony is unwilling to trade for backing the Interview. it just boils down to classic blackmail.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:30 pm

The Taiwanese animators put out a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ct8VcbwXC0

And a bit of perspective: http://seclists.org/dailydave/2014/q4/73

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:55 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Most likely because those hackers got their hands on corporate and financial secrets Sony is unwilling to trade for backing the Interview. it just boils down to classic blackmail.

What could possibly be so bad that Sony is canceling a multi million dollar film over it? It can't be any worse than the other debauchery Hollywood has been guilty of for the past 70+ years.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:28 pm

HUUUUUUGE MISTAKE that Sony (the theaters ok but still) pulled back. This is like obeying the terrorists. They already leaked everything they could. They shouldn't buy the threat. North Korea has done it numerous times in the past even against USA and in the end they didn't do anything. How can a country that's barely bigger than Tunisia pose a threat? How would exactly were planning to attack the cinemas? With airforce?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:31 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:They already leaked everything they could.
Judging by Sony's response, I'd say you were wrong. I suspect that Sony suspect, or know, that the terrorists have information that they don't want leaked. I couldn't guess at what it was, but what they did release would just be to prove that they have information to leak.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:36 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Judging by Sony's response, I'd say you were wrong. I suspect that Sony suspect, or know, that the terrorists have information that they don't want leaked. I couldn't guess at what it was, but what they did release would just be to prove that they have information to leak.

Sony literally canceled the film in the last minute. I doubt the hackers would have waited until the last minute hoping that Sony would cancel the film. Since they run out of leaks they decided to start threating the cinemas promising 9/11 attacks as their last card.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:45 pm

And the ripples keep on spreading:

http://nypost.com/2014/12/18/sharpton-to-have-say-over-how-sony-makes-movies/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:00 pm

One of the things we need to realize is that this hack attack on Sony is, in fact, a terrorist attack. You want to see what cyber war and cyber terrorism looks like? This is it! It’s not gonna look like the movie WarGames or anything like that. (Our current nuclear launch technology in the U.S. still covets the “newer” technologies of an Apple II.) It’s gonna look exactly like what it’s looking like with Sony America. If it can happen there, it can happen with Paramount or Regency, or even in major a city’s online infrastructures.

We should realize that Sony has been the victim of a terrorist attack, and a pretty darned good one. George Clooney talks of how the leaked information by the hackers made it so no one wants to stand up in defense of exercising their own rights.

It’s understandable when a business temporarily closes during a terrorist attack. Granted, previous attacks resulted in physical deaths and injuries. It’s very difficult for us to get our heads around what the proper reaction is to a terrorist attack of this magnitude and of this nature.

Sony would probably have done better announcing a postponing of the film’s premiere, rather than it’s all out cancelation. But then, I’m probably also not as aware of the details of these demands as Sony is right now. I am more harsh on the cancelation of Regency’s production and Paramount’s pulling a re-screening of the Team America: World Police film from theaters. This is a very, very bad trend we are on.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:24 pm

I'm really not sure how I feel about all the recent events of pulling the movie from theaters. Sometimes it feels like if the media had just ignored this, the film would still be coming out. Instead, we've got people freaking out about terrorism and thinking about the Aurora shootings.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:52 pm

It's because it's affecting something that practically everyone can relate to (movies), eventhough this type of stuff has been happening (and far worse than this) for the better of 2 decades, but it was always in a context that most people either wouldn't care about or wouldn't understand.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:53 pm

View Original Postdelispin25 wrote:Why are they letting people that can barely give electricity to their cities push them around? Defeated by a country that during the night hours, is darker than the moon. Good job.

Because North Korea is actually really fucking good at hacking. This is a wake-up call for American corporations, and given the stakes Sony was right to back down -- a shitty movie isn't worth the risk given what the hackers managed to grab. Now we upgrade our infrastructure and security systems so that this sort of thing can't happen again (or at least is much less likely), and then we blow them off.

Principles are great, but if someone has you by the jugular defiance is not such a hot idea. Discretion is actually a thing.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:00 pm

You make it sound as if Sony hadn't bothered, and they just need to "make it secure" and everything will be better. It sure isn't looking like that where I'm sitting. Computer security is bloody hard, and the ways of securing things that we can be confident in are currently reducing faster than they are growing. And I don't suppose for a moment that Sony hadn't been doing what they and many others thought would be enough.

Meanwhile, right now someone's trying to relay mail through my server. They're failing; but from the settings I'm looking at they shouldn't be able to get as far as they have, and I'm puzzled at present. These things are hard.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:47 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You make it sound as if Sony hadn't bothered, and they just need to "make it secure" and everything will be better.

Sorry, I shouldn't have been that cavalier about it. I actually meant quite the opposite -- when you've been sucker-punched like Sony has it makes sense to back off and reassess, even if that costs you a bit in the short term. After all, if someone has a gun to your head and you refuse to negotiate, well, you've fought the good fight, I guess, but you're still dead.

If Sony's position were more secure it would of course make sense for them to stand firm. But since it isn't . . .
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:57 pm

To be fair, Sony stores important passwords in a plain text file. Apparently this is a policy that's widespread across all the Sony subsidiaries since the PSN hacks involved the same thing.

re: Al Sharpton

Fuck Al Sharpton and fuck the National Action Network and fuck Sony for giving publicity and legitimacy to a buffoonish snake oil salesman. The fact that Al Sharpton has influence in the White House should be shocking and terrifying to people. The man is a tax cheat, for God's sake.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Film and Video”