Character Heights

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri May 31, 2013 11:10 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I've never heard of those sorts of differences in identical twins, and I've looked. Do you have specific studies in mind? This is certainly possible in ordinary siblings, but we've been lead to believe Rei is a clone of Yui, not a de facto sibling.

Um, we were talking of Shinji at the point that I responded, not Rei.

[edit] OIC, I didn't quote - I was answering your first para, not your second (the use of "vanishingly" gives it away, though).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri May 31, 2013 11:47 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Um, we were talking of Shinji at the point that I responded, not Rei.

[edit] OIC, I didn't quote - I was answering your first para, not your second (the use of "vanishingly" gives it away, though).

An, gotcha. The sibling ref threw me off there. Even so I have trouble imagining a kid who's a full foot shorter than his father and a half foot shorter than his mother. It's true that stranger things have happened, but not by much.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri May 31, 2013 11:53 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:An, gotcha. The sibling ref threw me off there. Even so I have trouble imagining a kid who's a full foot shorter than his father and a half foot shorter than his mother. It's true that stranger things have happened, but not by much.

I actually know a few people like that, but as you said they're few and far between.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri May 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Rei is pretty tall for a 5 year old chassis.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Fri May 31, 2013 1:24 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Rei is pretty tall for a 5 year old chassis.

She's a circus stilt walker. I'm sure of it.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Aether
Adam

Into Perspective

•      
  •      

Postby Aether » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:48 pm

Being 14 now, most of the students of my age with whom I interact are somewhere from 5'3" to 5'10", myself being around 5'9". The shortest kid at my school, whom everyone(including himself/herself) recognizing as being unusually short(and s/he takes a growth hormone), is about 5'0", and the other students all tower over him/her. So now you're telling me the tallest of the pilots, Asuka/Kaworu(who should both be 14, at least biologically, I guess Kaworu's 15 is he was "born" on 2I) are shorter than that? I know this is in Japan, and after 2I, but this just seems, well, ridiculously short.
Also, if we were to use the argument of malnutrition, and mostly artificial meat(let's be honest, it probably is now, too), wouldn't this suggest the(theoretically) herbivorous Rei would be the most well-nourished, and yet is still... wait, I just realized what I'm typing... Still, I somehow doubt that there's so much undernourishment it can cause such a difference in only one generation. These characters' heights are like Podedex sizes, they're nonsense!
If a king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?

Mr. Jive
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Jive » Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:37 am

It would be funny how short kensuke is as a kid would grow up taller then all his friends as a adult including touji.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:36 am

With regards to Rei, her being a clone I think is the most likely answer. Remember she needed medication to stop her from literally rotting alive. I would imagine she suffered from stunted growth.

With Shinji, he could just be a very late bloomer. He might grow a lot as he ages and be as tall as his dad.

With Asuka, she is slightly taller than Shinji, but still quite short. Although the drawing varies wildly due to budget/lazy animators/teh lulz, she never seems to be hugely well developed (her breasts are still fairly small) so once again she could be a late bloomer.

Applying real-world logic to the whole cast, Japanese people are quite short compared to Westerners. Case in point (as I've said before in fact), my friend/crush Hiroko (who is from Kyoto) is actually older than me, and is approximately an absolutely tiny 130 cm (this is just me judging by eye, as for obvious reasons I haven't actually measured her). For the record, I'm not especially tall, but I'd have to kneel down to kiss her (if I ever got that close with her... -o-; ). Likewise, my Japanese teacher Kumi (who fairly obviously is much older than me) isn't quite so small, but is still pretty short.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:24 pm

In my experience, shortness does seem to be a dominant trait: My parents are the shortest people in their families but both have tall siblings.

Half their kids are tall, so they must've had recessive tallness genes (Little Jana isn't fully grown yet, but judging by her body proportions an how she compares to other five year olds, she'll probably be short. Mom says her body shape looks more like the kids who ended up short)

Although in my case, environmental factors might've made me extra-short since my mom was nomewhat underfed during the pregnancy - Thank you, Fidel Castro!

In any case, at least some shortness genes must dominant.

Then again, maybe Anno, Sadamoto & co simply didn't know that.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:54 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:With regards to Rei, her being a clone I think is the most likely answer. Remember she needed medication to stop her from literally rotting alive. I would imagine she suffered from stunted growth.

We actually don't know why she's taking her medication; for all we know her meds might be anti-psychotics or something. Either way we have no reason to believe she's suffering from stunted growth.

Also, all of this has been addressed upthread (and repeatedly at that).

Kendrix: Human height is a polygenic trait, so saying shortness or tallness is dominant is nonsensical. It's the product of several different genes interacting and of the complex interacting with the individual's environment. It is, in short, complex. But as noted upthread the heights of the pilots as described are statistical absurdities given what we know of their parents, the kids' ages, and averages for child development in Japan. It is highly likely that Anno didn't give the matter a second thought and simply made them the height they needed to be to make the story work.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:45 am

Casting Necromancy.

At 179 cm (5'10 1/2", hopefully still growing), I'm taller than most of the cast, only shorter than Gendo and Fuyutsuki.

Has anyone thought of doing that height calculation thing with the Eva Q cast pic?
I think this is the right one.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:17 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:Has anyone thought of doing that height calculation thing with the Eva Q cast pic?

Actual heights are provided for the cast in a similar 2.0 comparative group image. I assume that canonical numbers exist for the Q cast, as well, and we just have to wait for a 3.0 CRC (that may never come) in order to see them.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:16 pm

I find the heights of the cast of Eva unrealistic, until I saw this today I assumed that Misato would be slightly taller than me at 5'7(I'm 5'6 atm), and Shinji, Rei, Asuka and other students would be either the same height as me or a tad bit shorter, or the same as me when I was in 8th grade and 14 which was two years ago, which would've been 5'5. Man this post really twisted my view of the cast... I mean how the Evangelion's height constantly changes is one thing(and I calmly rest at 60m because it is between 40 and 80), but come on, Shinji, Rei, and Asuka being under 5ft is unrealistic.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:41 pm

Maybe you are right, except one thing tho.

Tall?

Really?
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:45 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Tall?

Really?
Taller than the rest of the cast

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:48 pm

Also that image you posted is way off. Gendo is one head taller than Shinji not two.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:07 pm

Things that are closer look larger. Perspective is a thing.

Shinji is a head shorter than Misato, who is a head shorter than Gendo. Transitive property, yo.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:03 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Things that are closer look larger. Perspective is a thing.

We are talking about less than a meter distance but still it's crystal clear he is shorter than Fuyutsuki who can barely fall in the tall category.

Even in this pic Fuyutsuki is taller than Gendo. Look at the shoulders.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:07 pm

Be like Chuckman and just visualize the cast at normal heights and ignore bizarre 'official' stats or filler text on a card you're not even supposed to be able to read.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:09 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:We are talking about less than a meter distance but still it's crystal clear he is shorter than Fuyutsuki who can barely fall in the tall category.

Are you saying that Fuyutsuki isn't that tall?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”