FML general thread [7]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:13 am

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Sooner or later she'll be easy fodder for snake oil or a scam site.

Hey man, don't bash snake oil, it works. I make my living off of it.
By the way, can I interest you in a 100 gallons of snake oil for only 5000 dollars?
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Dream » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:28 am

Since some months ago i have noticed that the various changes in my personality and life have resulted, among many other things, in a sort of mental and emotional muteness in regards to inner sentiments or my focus on what really matters. Putting my thoughts into words has become considerably more difficult to the point i never really express myself much nowadays in lieuof smaller, rather hedonistic distractions. The only exception to this mental atrophy is short and mostly technical text with little to no emotional engagement, like some things about aviation or other hobbies.

It would seem another consequence of this muteness is an inability to connect with my inner self the way i used to as well as a sort of decay or weakness in spirit. Like... My form and technique (in aviation i for example) is ok and to some degree i understand the nature of it or how to do it, but i just can't seem to feel/find it in my heart in it nowadays. I suppose the endless distraction of my current life (internet, forums, vidya, occasional drama, etc.) as well as the need to look ok towards my family and feeling both dragged into and obligated to interact with them (By my own estimates about 30 to 40% of my overall productivity is sapped away by coexisting with them) but still... I'm not sure how or when i decayed from a really passionate student/fanatic into a very pathetic person too caught up in his pleasure principle as to ask himself what really matters to him and dedicate his life to it.

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby delispin25 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:21 pm

I just found out that my course is an express train type course. Only 2, month long stops for Christmas, and it's going right through summer. I was never told this, same with the majority of my class. Everywhere on the schools site it said "2 Year Course" and now through an e-mail I find out it's a continuous 16 month course. I'm shocked that no one noticed this shit, including myself. This is insanity, a course of masochists. Just when I had hope for a less shitty next semester, I get hit with this. This has pretty much dashed my hopes of being able to record with a band over the summer, or releasing Something Magical before next year. I hope this is some sort of misunderstanding, or it's just my school being run by incompetent mongoloids as per usual.
"At least I get laid." - TDSA
"I LITERALLY CANT STOP BEATING WOMEN" - CJD

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby r1cepurin » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:25 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, cooking beans properly is a thing, so there's a great opportunity to explain the truth of it and show her the importance of seeing things in the right perspective.

well yeah but it's not like I'm gonna bloody die. The problem with that claim is that it isn't properly sourced

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:45 pm

Got the script approved for the Japanese class skit...today. I have less than 24 hours to memorize it. It's not long, it's only 12 lines, but the hard part will be trying to remember the more complex sentences. The basic ones are simple, but the longer and more in-depth sentences are going to be a pain in the ass.

I can't have a prompt, so I have to memorize it.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby mechashiva » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:13 pm

I get the feeling I'm going to fail my Statistics class: the ONLY class I'm taking this semester. Then I'll hate myself and my Mom will guilt me about me, asking my rhetorically if I want to be at community college the rest of my life (I don't) or if I know how much she has sacrificed for me (I do) and maybe even blame all the time I've spent with my sort-of boyfriend as a distraction from the "really important things". The joke's on her because I'm ALWAYS distracted. Always. Even if I didn't have an account here or even just no Internet, I'd somehow find a way to become distracted and then hate myself for being distracted. My grades in all the math courses I've taken have been abysmal and I don't even bother to try because I hate it so much and the failures have made me sick of trying anymore.

In short: I suck. :facepalm:
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:21 am

^
Parts of what you said (easily distracted) reminds me of myself when I was in college. It's easier said than done, but finding the proper focus IS possible (for me, instrumental BGM helped when studying or doing homework). Best of luck to you!

Family-related health issues (again :( ) so I won't be around for the next week or so. Not posting in Departures thread since that's for a month or more absence. Peace out y'all.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:23 am

I don't believe that this married couple argue over something so goddamn small.

Sis asks in-law if he had plans for Sunday, and he said he'll want to take the kids out to the mall. He also wants Sis to go with them but she had work to do as a language coach. He insists that she drops it and go just because it's just about US$2 for that one-hour lesson. But remember that in-law is fucking jobless, and he still thinks he's making money when he really isn't.

So they argue in the car, over this piddly little detail, and who's to blame?

Now if he weren't a freespending ass, he should be keeping his executive job by now and get all the bills paid and the wishes of the dorks fulfilled.

But no, he's spending shit time on Clash of Clans.

And it makes me fucking angry that, asides that there is no place for me to go -- remember that half the relatives I have are fucking assholes -- I have to sacrifice my waking hours simply to make way for this goddamn windbag.

If divorce were to be considered into law here, I would be all for it. Because I'm sick of this shtick and that when money is involved all the talk about the sanctity of marriage is meaningless.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:26 am

Bleh. It's a sunny day again. I always get bad headaches on sunny day :irked:
Damn sensitive eyes...

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Dec 04, 2014 7:57 pm

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:well yeah but it's not like I'm gonna bloody die. The problem with that claim is that it isn't properly sourced

Buzzfeed is mostly good for entertainment, bad for facts. Go to the sources of where they get their stuff; that solves the problem.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:46 am

Luckily this doesn't happen very often, but sometimes my translation work gets utterly bogged down by terrible audio and/or lacking transcripts. Since the materials in this case are publicly available, I might as well try to crowd-source the decoding attempt.

SPOILER: Show

Video from 2004 Boxing Day tsunami: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3_m3lACJOo

At 0:41
- "There's (a) ??? down there."
- ??? [boy's line.]
- "He's alright, he's on the sea. Hope this battery lasts."

And more tsunami: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFeTs9mndG0

At approximately 5:11

- "That is very bad. ???"

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:10 pm

Most advice is appallingly easy for bystanders to give.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:12 pm

Would you care to elaborate?
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Chee, if it's worth posting about here it's worth explaining. No sympathy baiting allowed.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

Postby chee » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:31 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Chee, if it's worth posting about here it's worth explaining. No sympathy baiting allowed.

Well, if you insist.

TL;DR: I was feeling rather grouchy, and upon reflection on all the various times people have given me advice, and as well as all the times I've given other people advice, I've found that most of it generally consists of empty words that never really address the problem at hand, just verbal narcotics invoking vague cliches invoking some hollow image of individual striving, and as such, doesn't actually help insofar as solving the problem at hand is concerned.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Oh wow. Yes. YES. You have finally put words to a phenomenon that has bothered me so much in all the help I've witnessed and received on the internet.

...But I've also gotten some really good advice. It usually comes in the form of someone telling a story about a similar experience they've had.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Evangelion makes me depressed yet FLCL makes me happy. I can't handle all these emotions

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Vegeta 20XX
XX0↊ ɐʇǝƃǝɅ

Postby Vegeta 20XX » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:43 pm

The Lonely Hearts thread disappeared...
Avatar: Apophis' shifty-looking gaze as he invades the SGC.
Vegeta 20XX: Actually pixelated, and the self proclaimed "King of the screw up". - Fazmotron
The most awesome thing ever. Seriously.
I witnessed a young girl ohhh about 12 years of age or so fall off a snowbank then proceed to say "Fuck you snowhill that hurt" - Dataprime
For those who put things like "Chuckman x Chuckmen" and "Follower of the Chuckman x Chuckman pairing" in their signatures: All you need is fuck.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:45 pm

I see it... :bigeyes:

- Suicidahlia

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:47 pm

It's right here.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”