What is the inspiration/reasoning behind the Angel's design?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat May 12, 2007 6:08 pm

Ornette wrote:
Eva Yojimbo wrote:It does make you wonder though why the Angels couldn't take the form of something that could creep by Nerv sensors completely unnoticed...

Like Ireul?

Bardiel, too.

Jimbo wrote:It does make you wonder though why the Angels couldn't take the form of something that could creep by Nerv sensors completely unnoticed...

They're only human...

Apparantly the angels aren't the smartest bunch...

...and technically inexperienced children, too.

I'm not surprised Kaworu/Adam decided to say "To hell with these dumb kids... they couldn't even break into Nerv properly, why do I care about them?"

Kaworu said that?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat May 12, 2007 6:23 pm

Reichu wrote:
Kaworu said that?
Actions speak louder than words. ;)
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun May 13, 2007 7:50 pm

if only the rest of the Angels were as smart as Kaworu, they wouldve picked a human form and wouldnt be so gay and actually suceed in causing the 3I

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun May 13, 2007 7:53 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:if only the rest of the Angels were as smart as Kaworu, they wouldve picked a human form and wouldnt be so gay and actually suceed in causing the 3I

Wait, you're implying the other Angels, and not Kaworu were gay? I think you need to reverse that. :wink:
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ayana-Me
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ayana-Me » Sun May 13, 2007 7:54 pm

Sachiel_13 wrote:if only the rest of the Angels were as smart as Kaworu, they wouldve picked a human form and wouldnt be so gay and actually suceed in causing the 3I

So you want the series to be like 2 episodes long?

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun May 13, 2007 11:38 pm

no, but if this were life, then they wouldnt be so dumb, and would reach the goal

but i guess they needed a filler to stretch the entire series

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon May 14, 2007 11:21 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:Kaworu said that?
Actions speak louder than words. ;)[/quote]
Bah, you oversimplify.

Sachiel_13 wrote:if only the rest of the Angels were as smart as Kaworu, they wouldve picked a human form

Kaworu didn't "pick" a human form. A Lilim-shaped Angel was born as a result of the Contact Experiment with Adam, and Adam's soul was placed into that body.

and wouldnt be so gay and actually suceed in causing the 3I

...and Kaworu did?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon May 14, 2007 11:44 am

Reichu wrote:Bah, you oversimplify.

Yes, because I wasn't being serious. ;)
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon May 14, 2007 7:07 pm

Reichu wrote:...and Kaworu did?

Kaworu could've if he wasnt so gay
but he HAD to fall in love with HumanKind and let them live
any of the other Angels would be like "YIPEE" and caused 3I

Scarecrow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Scarecrow » Thu May 17, 2007 5:07 am

Interetsing points here really.

I do wonder how much choice each Angel actually had in it's own form. I think the biggest clue is in Magma Diver, where it seems clear they start as humanoid fetuses that mutate into their final form.

But could this form be more suited to their environment? It evolved into soemthing that could exist in magma... though it didn't seme to have any obvious core.

Perhaps Matriel's embryo wa sin a confined space underground... or maybe, as a concept, it was born around spiders and adopted some element of a nearbye successful life form. If undergound a small body and long legs would be good for negociation through cave systems.

Of course it's all speculation but interetsing to wonder how much choice went into the forms and how much was simply the way their "evolution" went. I had wondered if ecah Angel respresented a possible finaly evolutionary form, skipping out all the hundreds of years between...

- Scarecrow
"Liberate tutemet ex inferis"

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu May 17, 2007 6:45 am

Scarecrow wrote:
Of course it's all speculation but interetsing to wonder how much choice went into the forms and how much was simply the way their "evolution" went. I had wondered if ecah Angel respresented a possible finaly evolutionary form, skipping out all the hundreds of years between...

- Scarecrow
I have to wonder then: What the hell were some of the weirder angels around to turn them into what they were? I'm thinking Ramiel, Sahaquiel, Ireul, Leliel, Armisael, etc.

Scarecrow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Scarecrow » Thu May 17, 2007 6:57 am

As I said, speculation.

That said, perhaps there is no catch-all rule for the Angels. Certainly Armisael strikes me as a very high evolutionary being, a living DNA helix, the source of all life, able to merge and change form. It's not unlike the "ultimate evolution of man" presente din amny Science-fiction stories.

It's an interetsing debate to look at how each Angel found it's form really and perhaps it really is a variety of influences and evolutionary paths that depend on their surroundings, their enviornment, the nature of their birth and their own personal choice... rather than any one single factor.

ADDED: Of course, there's explanations that could be found. Ramiel, for instance, always rmeinded me of a kind of crystalline structure and certainly crystalline intelligent life forms is another staple of SF. An intelligent virus able to copy and assimilate anything also seems a valid and certainly very successful form of life.

- Scarecrow

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Thu May 17, 2007 7:44 am

This seems like a good thread to speculate in then. What can we guess about Sahaquiel and Leliel?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu May 17, 2007 11:17 am

Eva Yojimbo wrote:This seems like a good thread to speculate in then. What can we guess about Sahaquiel and Leliel?

Honestly, I always thought that Leliel was sort of an homage to the Sphere of Vogler from the Giant Robo OAV.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 17, 2007 1:50 pm

Scarecrow wrote:I had wondered if ecah Angel respresented a possible finaly evolutionary form, skipping out all the hundreds of years between...

I can't envision actual evolution (no matter how many years) directing a humanoid lifeform into a single one of the Angels' transmogrified states.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Scarecrow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Scarecrow » Thu May 17, 2007 2:17 pm

Reichu wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:I had wondered if ecah Angel respresented a possible finaly evolutionary form, skipping out all the hundreds of years between...

I can't envision actual evolution (no matter how many years) directing a humanoid lifeform into a single one of the Angels' transmogrified states.

You've obviously never watched enough Star Trek. :P

But I take the point. to be fair, ideas are just fun to throw around, and discuss and I find that throwing them about is great for stimulating interlectual debate and discussion.

- Scarecrow

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu May 17, 2007 2:21 pm

Scarecrow wrote:You've obviously never watched enough Star Trek. :P

I don't recall any relevant episodes offhand.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Scarecrow
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Scarecrow » Thu May 17, 2007 2:30 pm

Reichu wrote:
Scarecrow wrote:You've obviously never watched enough Star Trek. :P

I don't recall any relevant episodes offhand.

I wish I couldn't recall "Threshold" either! :shock:

- Scarecrow

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed May 23, 2007 4:41 pm

Eva Yojimbo wrote:This seems like a good thread to speculate in then. What can we guess about Sahaquiel and Leliel?

ooo, Sahaquiel was a near a electrical tower, thats y when it stood up, it towered over Unit-01 and it has electical laser arm-things

Leliel probably was in a place where it could easily be seen, so it became as small as a shadow, and its actual shadow was a defence mechanism, like camoflauge

greatmightypoo
Embryo

The Design of the Angels.

•      
  •      

Postby greatmightypoo » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:03 pm

Am I the only one who thinks that are just terrible. The only design that truely sparked my eye at first glimpse of EVA was the first Eva unit.

For me the Angels are like some motley ,combination of random faces and shapes, that have the result of looking just bland and unispired. What astounds me that people remember the names and numbers of the Angels...I cound only do that if I would force myself.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”