Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:07 am

The first part of the series is mostly action, awesome action but action. the second part of the series is where it slows down for character interactions.......it has a few issues with pacing cause that will be kind jarring when we get to season 2.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:03 am

Are there any reviews/impressions of the first movie out yet? I am mostly curious about the pace and how much content they decided to cut. If it's anything like the first 2 Madoka movies, these films will turn out to be amazing.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:46 am

Well so far it sold only 1/4th of Madoka's movie opening even though it aired in twice as many cinemas.

That Manlet OVA is going to sell millions though.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:59 pm

Frankly I don't see any reason to read or watch SnK if not for Levi. Definitely my favorite manlet at the moment.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:04 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:The version I watched had people screaming at each other 90% of the time.

There's a reason I said it's subtle. Granted, a lot of it won't resonate if you haven't read the manga and a lot of it you'll only retroactively recognize.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Not sure if it's very relevant, but i stopped watching the anime at around episode 11. I just lost interest one day and didn't care enought to see what happened after. Never felt like checking the manga either.

One thing that i remember actively turning me off was when Mikasa started going all lovey-dovey/blushing around Eren. Since at first i took their relationship as a purely (and idealized) filial one, it was kind of a turn-off to see the author or anime taking it to a direction i wasn't too happy or comfortable with. The fact i have an older sister myself didn't help matters either.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:59 am

Plot  SPOILER: Show
Did you ever get to the episode where you learn that Mikasa actually isn't his sister?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:01 am

Also, Mikasa's obsession with Eren isn't played for cuteness or fanservice, at all.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:26 pm

I'm looking forward to season 2. Sure, season 1 had its issues, but it was a solid outing. I'm not a reader of the manga, but I'm betting for maximum profit, they'll finish the story off with an animated film.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:02 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Also, Mikasa's obsession with Eren isn't played for cuteness or fanservice, at all.

Certainly not after the show fast-forwards to when they're older, yeah.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:22 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Certainly not after the show fast-forwards to when they're older, yeah.

Mikasa's obsession with Eren bothers me, it's unhealthy and pretty damn creepy to boot. The fact that I think Eren x Annie would be a more functional and stable relationship than the quasi-incestuous Eren x Mikasa pairing really says something about how dysfunctional I think the latter would be.

I mean, neither ship is all that impressive but the other one is at least sea-worthy.
Movin' Right Along

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:25 pm

Why does it bother you so? Eren's really just older brother/senpai fare, but taken to an extreme. It probably wouldn't be out of place in a comedy anime, and looks strange here because of how insane the setting is. Does the obsession get even worse in the manga?

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:33 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Why does it bother you so? Eren's really just older brother/senpai fare, but taken to an extreme. It probably wouldn't be out of place in a comedy anime, and looks strange here because of how insane the setting is. Does the obsession get even worse in the manga?

It just bugs me with how overprotective, jealous, and devoted to Eren Mikasa can be. The "Mikasa is a Yandere" meme has a certain amount of truth in it. The fact that Mikasa basically tries to commit suicide by Titan after Eren dies makes me wonder what would ever happen if he rejected her romantically. At the end of the day it gives me bad vibes to see such utterly one-sided devotion to someone.
Movin' Right Along

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:43 pm

There was official artwork of eren and mikasa in the future and they were together, cant remember where it is but yeah........basically you are going to have to get used to said obsession cause its going to happen.
Personally i somewhat agree and think mikasa should somewhat calm down before relationship status is discussed
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:47 pm

Yes, Mikasa is fucked in the head, her parents were killed right in front of her but you are freaking out over nothing. Isayama himself said that he doesn't give a flying shits about romance.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:57 pm

In this manga neither do i.........unless its ymir and historia, seriously if they don't get to live to endgame and get together my reason for reading is basically gone.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:33 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:unless its ymir and historia,

You know if you keep this up we'll start suspecting you're closet hetero.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:34 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:In this manga neither do i.........unless its ymir and historia, seriously if they don't get to live to endgame and get together my reason for reading is basically gone.

Why don't you just write you don't give shit about romance unless you can self-insert in it?

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:41 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Why don't you just write you don't give shit about romance unless you can self-insert in it?

Well to be fair, isn't that the case for most people? I have nothing against seeing gay or lesbian relationships depicted in fiction but as a heterosexual male, they just don't interest me on the same level that heterosexual relationships do because I can identify with the relationship more than I can otherwise.

Ymir x Historia is still pretty fucked up compared to what I'd call a healthy relationship, but it's probably the most stable relationship in the series. That's damning by faint praise to be sure, but it's something. So yeah, I ship it.
Movin' Right Along

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:34 am

View Original PostTankred wrote:You know if you keep this up we'll start suspecting you're closet hetero.

I like yuri cause its either a) cute as shit or b) Just something im naturally drawn to, i don't generally self-insert myself into relationships because that's kinda meh, besides contrary to popular belief there ARE het ships that i do like, just none of them recently have had any appeal to me.

There are reasons with wanting two characters to be together that dont just boil down to "im gay therefore these characters must be too", for me its more if i see two characters that compliment each other and have a good growing relationship, with a lot of het couples in romance it takes VERY little to get them together and that's just plain boring cause you know the outcome, whereas with same sex couples in media the relationship tends to have to be built upon constantly and grow in a natural way plus due to the (unfortunate) intolerance of that some places the couple could not happen to save the show from censors, that's just far more interesting to me.

And please, don't even imply as there would literally be no reason for me to be a closet het, im gay and i like yuri, deal with it.

Return to “Anime and Manga”