Last Eva Manga Volume Features New Character

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:55 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
SPOILER: Show
I assume that tumbler is just saying Mari is confirmed gay because that's what he/she has decided himself/herself.

Yes. That is always the case with such proclamations IME.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

artesox
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby artesox » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:20 am

Well, on his/her defense having a crush on someone of the same sex is kinda related to being homosexual :lol:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:22 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:
I assume that tumbler is just saying Mari is confirmed gay because that's what he/she has decided himself/herself.

And that's dumb,
just because Mari expresses admiration toward another woman (and in a purely professional it's legitimate, as everyone agrees that Yui was a genius as you see only once per few generations) and they shared a moment of friendship immediately means that she has the hots for the sempai.

It's like all the people that are sure that Mari and Asuka must be in an intimate relationship just because we see them exchange banters in Q, even thought that's the kind of things you see all the time between military people (or just some friends of strong characters), or that they aren't even seen once in the same room for the whole movie!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:30 am

^ Hey i will go down with this ship, i could argue just as many reasons in Q as to why Asuka and Shinji is not going to happen again (honestly nobody is going to end up with anybody the way this is going and that's ok with me)
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:42 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:And that's dumb,
just because Mari expresses admiration toward another woman (and in a purely professional it's legitimate, as everyone agrees that Yui was a genius as you see only once per few generations) and they shared a moment of friendship immediately means that she has the hots for the sempai.

It's like all the people that are sure that Mari and Asuka must be in an intimate relationship just because we see them exchange banters in Q, even thought that's the kind of things you see all the time between military people (or just some friends of strong characters), or that they aren't even seen once in the same room for the whole movie!

oh c'mon, this is typical unrequited senpai love stuff you have seen a thousend times from Japan.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:34 am

View Original PostFireball wrote:
oh c'mon, this is typical unrequited senpai love stuff you have seen a thousend times from Japan.

We already have Maya for that, and unlike Mari she's major! :tongue:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:30 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:
It never held any water. People assumed you had to be born after 2I to pilot, or to have been in your mother's womb when 2I happened, or other silly things, but that's never been the case. It was always about your familial relationship with the Eva's resident soul. If Yui's father was were still alive he probably could have piloted just as easily as Shinji could have.

In the ENT series . . . who knows? The rules aren't established, and it's possible Anno hasn't even bothered to work them out.

And for once, I agree with Tines -- Ayanami series is a thing, so why not Makinami series? That would explain a lot, actually.

I hope not, one clone is enough for me. IMO, "clone ex machina" is so lazy I would be very disappointed with Anno. And a clone with the memories of the original and never grows?? Too lazy IMO, too Deux ex machina, I expect something more than your usual SyFy channel movie.

^ Hey i will go down with this ship, i could argue just as many reasons in Q as to why Asuka and Shinji is not going to happen again (honestly nobody is going to end up with anybody the way this is going and that's ok with me)^ Hey i will go down with this ship, i could argue just as many reasons in Q as to why Asuka and Shinji is not going to happen again (honestly nobody is going to end up with anybody the way this is going and that's ok with me)

And that would mean that the EVA curse was just a petty excuse for selling toys (and no, clones grow up, even faster than original...talking about MGS4). Wouldn't that be great?? And IMO we'll see shipping in Final, just a little bit without heavy influence in the story. We love EVA but never forget is a product made to sell, specially this movies whose main purpose is making money for khara start to film the films they really want to do, and shipping it's one of the sources of money
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby ath » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:02 pm

People debating about Rebuild vs NGE vs manga, remember:

Minna no Eva Fan emphasized his theory about Mari doesn't work in Rebuild-verse since in both NGE (manga and anime) vs NTE, Yui's original surname is different Ikari (NGE manga/anime) vs Ayanami (NTE). Obviously, we'll have to wait til FINAL if we get any kind of backstory on Mari there, and just like different iterations of the characters, this Mari is just another one. For Mari, that'd be 3 variations of the same character (NTE, ANIMA, NGE Extra Stage). I really think Sadamoto's Extra Stage featuring Mari is just a fun little extra for the manga-verse, that's it.

But anyway, I don't see how anybody can read the interactions as

anything other than Mari being envious/admiring Yui's talent. Not everything needs to be about shipping, folks. 好き (assuming that's the Japanese term used) can mean lots of things, context depending.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:17 pm

After seeing the scans and what is a very rough translation, I did wonder about one aspect of this:

Is it possible that "Mari Makinami" is not actually the Mari we know from NME but instead intended to be that Mari's mother? In the same chapter we have Shinji (and by extension Rei's) parents, we have what looks like Kyoko Soryu, and now we have this new girl. Also, she's identified as "Mari Makinami" in the text, not as "Mari Illustrious Makinami." The story also says she is going to the UK, and I'm assuming that she's not actually British herself.

Is it possible that this Mari went to the UK, married some guy named Mr. Illustrious, and then gave birth to that other Mari? And it's the child who we see in NME. This might explain the age differences better. Basically this Mari is 16 at the time of the Extra chapter in 1998, which would make her 19 in 2001 and certainly of child-bearing age.

It's a FanWank to be sure, but it might explain a few things.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:54 pm

There's still her saying "Gendou-kun" to explain, though.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:57 pm

Am I the only one a little annoyed Sadamoto is kind've shoehorning 'You know who' in where she doesn't belong?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Well, like I said here:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
For Mari, that'd be 3 variations of the same character (NTE, ANIMA, NGE Extra Stage). I really think Sadamoto's Extra Stage featuring Mari is just a fun little extra for the manga-verse, that's it.

so it's not necessarily anything to be concerned over. :wink:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:00 pm

Everyone belongs in every continuity; you just have to remember that they are all different as a result! I mean, what really is there to be annoyed about?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:21 pm

View Original PostGrand Duke of Yashima wrote:
Is it possible that "Mari Makinami" is not actually the Mari we know from NME but instead intended to be that Mari's mother? In the same chapter we have Shinji (and by extension Rei's) parents, we have what looks like Kyoko Soryu, and now we have this new girl. Also, she's identified as "Mari Makinami" in the text, not as "Mari Illustrious Makinami." The story also says she is going to the UK, and I'm assuming that she's not actually British herself.

The order of Mari's name in NTE is Mari Makinami Illustrious, it's possible that the guy interviewing her didn't bothered with the second surname.
And also Mari's background changes in almost every continuity she is: in ANIMA for example she was an American genetically engineered super-soldier!

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:37 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:
We already have Maya for that, and unlike Mari she's major! :tongue:

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:But anyway, I don't see how anybody can read the interactions as

anything other than Mari being envious/admiring Yui's talent. Not everything needs to be about shipping, folks. 好き (assuming that's the Japanese term used) can mean lots of things, context depending.

Eva is full of unrequited love. Asuka, Maaya, Hyuga, Ritsuko, Fuyutsuki, Naoko etc

Japan has made an entire trope out of this kitsch. You really don't need any yuri googles to get what a girl means when she is about to part ways with her beloved senpai and with a final "as long as you are happy with someone else".

If she says "suki" in Japanese and in that context she is as gay as rainbow over San Fransico.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:46 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Am I the only one a little annoyed
Do you count those of us who are simply exasperated?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm

Were you expecting something different in particular?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:23 pm

I'd been vaguely expecting an essentially frivolous coda, if not something quite as tongue in cheek as "After the End".
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:24 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:
If she says "suki" in Japanese and in that context she is as gay as rainbow over San Fransico.

I'm a female that's bi as a rainbow and for 7 years lived near San Francisco! :lol: Though I'm still not seeing it. :shrug: In the case of Maya and Ritsuko, that goes beyond the normal admiring a coworker/higher up (hearts in the script during EoE tang scene, for instance). Nothing I've seen of the scans or stuff on Eva Fan implies Mari's romantically interested in Yui.

"Suki" can be translated as "like" instead of "love".

This is reminding me how with Sailor Moon Crystal, Western fans have been jumping to the conclusion Usagi's bi just because she's held hands with Ami (common for schoolgirls) or admired the beauty of her female friends (not that weird, people can admire each other without wanting to jump them).

I was expecting some kind of funny/pointless fluff as well (not entirely serious)--if not something that showed Sadamoto's process on drawing the manga (like a manga of a manga, in other words). Certainly not this! :lol:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”