Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:16 pm

Work was slow this week and I was generally feeling lousy and unmotivated, so I plowed through God of War. Not bad, though there were some parts where I came pretty close to throwing a controller.
Webmaster, EvaMonkey.com; Co-founder, EvaGeeks.org; Moderator, r/evangelion.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Instagram] [Twitch]

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:00 pm

Of all things, tonight I played through Mighty Mophin Power Rangers on Super Nintendo.

I am the worst kind of adult.

Also, I am beginning to employ HowLongToBeat.com as I endeavor to put a dent in my piles of unplayed games. It helps to know that I could get though as many as ten games in the time it would take me to get through Final Fantasy XII.

Follow me on Social Media! [YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook] [Tumblr] [Instagram] [Twitch]

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:39 am

Still playing Animal Crossing: New Leaf, but I finally got GracieGrace and now my character is a super cutie.

This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:57 pm

AC: Unity left us salty.....

And the glitches. Oh god, the glitches... :cringe:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

xanderkh
Donor
Donor

Postby xanderkh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:00 pm

Are the glitches game-breaking? Or are they at least amusing, like in ACIV? :D
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:04 pm

Please don't hotlink images, use imgur/photobucket/etc instead. - Staff

Well they certainly are amusing, but some ARE game-breaking.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

xanderkh
Donor
Donor

Postby xanderkh » Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:10 pm

Well, hopefully a patch will be available soon to help fix these issues. :huh:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:38 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:some are amusing (NPCs dying in weird poses).

:cringe: Thing is, we thought there was a patch already available, but not yet, it seems? Slightly frustrating gaming experience, but we got over it.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:29 pm

I am currently pew pew pewing bad guys in Operation C for Game Boy and stabbing candles in Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow for Game Boy Advance.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:47 pm

You have a fair few consoles and non "must play" games it seems, Eva Monkey. Do you buy them as and when you feel like playing something, or have you just kept them over the years?

Also, are the games you're playing old favourites, or games you never played and feel like you should?

How is Aria of Sorrow?

So many questions. Such little importance.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:50 pm

I Played dawn of sorrow a few years ago and that was really fun, so im interested too.
Also i like soma, playing as dracula is at least more satisfying than in lord of shadows.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:53 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Some caused restarts (falling to death when you clearly grabbed onto wall ledge), but some are amusing (NPCs dying in weird poses).

Dark Souls II also has weird collision physics for dead bodies in some areas. In Earthen Peak, for example, I found if I kill some enemies close enough to a wall then their head will clip through the wall while their body remains upright, so they look like they got their head shoved through the wall. I remember one interesting time I killed a Desert Sorceress and she got stuck in the wall in a position that made her skirt clip through her legs and show her underwear.

Skyrim (and most Bethesda RPGs) also has a lot of glitches, but it's odd in that they don't really detract from the game, a fair amount have been patched officially and unofficially and some are rather amusing.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:34 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:You have a fair few consoles and non "must play" games it seems, Eva Monkey. Do you buy them as and when you feel like playing something, or have you just kept them over the years?

It's a spectrum of things.

1. I held onto all of my games and systems from growing up.
2. My wife's games and systems got rolled into my collection.
3. Friends and coworkers know that I'm really into retro/collecting, so they just give me stuff. Sometimes it's a sports game, sometimes it's someone's entire Dreamcast collection including imports. Most recently, a friend almost threw out his entire collection of gaming magazines and strategy guides. There were something like 100+ items in all, including Nintendo Powers from 1993-2002.
4. Lots from Craigslist. Buy in bulk, keep what you want, sell/trade the rest.
5. Flea markets / yardsales. You never know what you're going to find, but you can sometimes find awesome stuff.
6. Sometimes I just want something and I go on eBay. Recently I've been working on my Game Boy collection, so I picked up Super Mario Land 2, Metroid II, and the aforementioned Operation C.

Sometime in early 2009, I just went nuts on eBay, and started building a collection. At this point, it covers pretty much every major system from the 3rd through 7th generations, including various odds and ends like the Sega 32X, 3DO, and TurboGrafx-16.

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Also, are the games you're playing old favourites, or games you never played and feel like you should?

More often than not, it's either playing things I should have played, but didn't (like Super Metroid, Chrono Trigger, Shadow of the Colossus), or playing something to completion that I never finished at the time that it was out (like Last of Us, Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy IX, or Ico). I never had a Super Nintendo, or Nintendo 64, for example, so I picked up a lot of things on those systems that I missed out on. But overall, I've been collecting a lot of essentials and things that piqued my curiosity through various online reviewers.

View Original PostSorrow wrote:How is Aria of Sorrow?

I'm really digging it. As I completed Super Metroid and Metroid Fusion back in January, I think I've developed a bit of a taste for the "Metroidvania" style of games. I'm about 25% through, so I think I'm just far enough along to say that it's fun, the enemies are kind of weird, and the story is kind of ridiculous. But it's enjoyable. I've found it to be very similar in feel to Metroid Fusion.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:51 pm

Aria of Sorrow is basically a lower-res version of Dawn of Sorrow with a little less 'systems' to juggle and no touchscreen bullshit. If you liked DoS (or any other metroidvania, really) you'll probably like AoS.

Order of Ecclesia is my current favorite of the bunch. The flexible equip system is really fun, and I liked getting outside the caste and wandering the countryside again, all Simon's Quest style.

I'm also quite fond of Harmony of Dissonance just because the dashing is handled so amazingly well... too good perhaps, much like C4's directional whipping... which gives it a fast-paced, highly reactive sort of playstyle that stands out against so many more plodding characters in the rest of the series.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Well, I envy you. I regret selling my rather mediocre collection to help afford a Gamecube some nine-years ago, or so. The Resident Evil Remake was too tempting.

I adored Symphony of the Night, and have always wanted to play the Metroid games as a result; especially Super Metroid. Though it's a rather expensive hobby to own and play old gems now[s]---[/s]unlike when I was looking to sell [sigh][s]---[/s]and I'm not into emulating, myself.

A free Dreamcast collection, huh? Did it come with Shenmue, by any chance? I bet it did.

MAGI_01
Lilin
Lilin

Postby MAGI_01 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:23 pm

So, I ended up backing Elite: Dangerous around two weeks ago and have been playing the beta on and off.

I have to say, it's fantastic. Granted, yes there are some things (Like pirates running amok) that have irritated me since I mainly do trading to amass the majority of my funds in game, but the sense of scale and the sandbox feel the game has is amazing. Today they released the last major beta update before the game go's into release on the 16th of next month. I have yet to see what all changes they have made yet as I have yet to fire it up. But overall, I think it has the potential to be a really great game and considering it has no monthly cost for the MMO aspect of it (One just buy's the game and that's it, but there are cosmetic extras that one can buy.) it's one I'll for sure be playing on and off when not slamming through content in FF14 to try and get caught up with the majority of the player base :lol:
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:24 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:I adored Symphony of the Night

I have a copy of that as well. Based upon how Aria of Sorrow is going, I might have to give SotN a go sometime soon.

View Original PostSorrow wrote:have always wanted to play the Metroid games as a result; especially Super Metroid.

Super Metroid is easily one of the best games ever made. It's a must for any Super Nintendo or platformer fan. It's one of the most expensive games I've bought, but it was definitely worth every penny.

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Though it's a rather expensive hobby to own and play old gems now[s]---[/s]unlike when I was looking to sell [sigh][s]---[/s]and I'm not into emulating, myself.

Honestly, I look at modern gaming, with $400 consoles and $60 games and I think that's expensive. Modern games and hardware depreciates quickly, and you never know if a game is going to be worth it. Retro games have gone up in value, so in some ways, it appreciates over time.

If collecting isn't your thing, and emulation isn't your thing, there is one solution that's somewhere in the middle. If you still have your preferred retro systems, they make these cartridges that you can load roms onto an SD cart and then play on your original hardware just like it's the real thing.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/super-everdrive-cart-only-na.html

View Original PostSorrow wrote:A free Dreamcast collection, huh? Did it come with Shenmue, by any chance? I bet it did.

That and a copy of Shenmue 2 limited edition import. My friend was kind of off his rocker in a good way. One of the better birthday gifts I've gotten.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:03 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I have a copy of that as well. Based upon how Aria of Sorrow is going, I might have to give SotN a go sometime soon.
I'd like to hear your thoughts on it, if you get around to it. It's often cited as the best of the best "Metroidvanias", and I would be inclined to agree; though maybe that doesn't mean much, as I haven't played them all, personally. Certainly a contender for the best PSX game.

Honestly, I look at modern gaming, with $400 consoles and $60 games and I think that's expensive. Modern games and hardware depreciates quickly, and you never know if a game is going to be worth it. Retro games have gone up in value, so in some ways, it appreciates over time.
Oh, I don't deny, "modern gaming" isn't cheap. Though, luckily[s]---[/s]perhaps unfortunately[s]---[/s]there isn't anything tempting us to part with any paper. There really was no need for a newer generation of consoles, especially when the vast majority of games are released for the previous generation anyway[s]---[/s]not that they're worth buying on either version[s]---[/s]and we don't need every device in our lives to be capable of linking us up to social media or watching TV series.

Though, apparently we do. People would replace a brand new cooker if they could like their friend's pictures from it.

If collecting isn't your thing, and emulation isn't your thing, there is one solution that's somewhere in the middle. If you still have your preferred retro systems, they make these cartridges that you can load roms onto an SD cart and then play on your original hardware just like it's the real thing.

http://www.stoneagegamer.com/super-everdrive-cart-only-na.html
That's really quite a nice idea. I don't own any of the better consoles anymore, but having to buy the console and only one cartridge, as opposed to a substantial library, is a lot more compelling. I appreciate you pointing me in this direction.

That and a copy of Shenmue 2 limited edition import. My friend was kind of off his rocker in a good way. One of the better birthday gifts I've gotten.
Very lucky. Have you yet to play them, or?

The Eva Monkey
Administrator
Administrator

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:01 am

View Original PostSorrow wrote:That's really quite a nice idea. I don't own any of the better consoles anymore, but having to buy the console and only one cartridge, as opposed to a substantial library, is a lot more compelling.

Not to mention, you save a ton of shelf space. I'm at the point where my main motivation for buying a house is so that I can have a room dedicated just to gaming.

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Very lucky. Have you yet to play them, or?

Played Shenmue for about a half hour. Didn't get very far. It's backlogged. Shenmue 2 will never get played seeing as how I don't know moonspeak. If I like the first one enough, I'll pick up the second on Xbox.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:23 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Not to mention, you save a ton of shelf space. I'm at the point where my main motivation for buying a house is so that I can have a room dedicated just to gaming.
I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Sure, practicality is enticing, but if you've got the funds to own a vast collection of items that you enjoy, that will very likely end up holding their value or being worth more down the road, and a space to store them, then fair play, I say.
Last edited by Sorrow on Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”