EGF: Has It Changed? How? [split]

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:01 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I'm slipping into silliness again, so i'll say this.
Mugwump, Yojimbo, LiLi, OoOoOoO, Xeroko, symbv, and shin-seiki, please come back.

Amen. Heck, of Mugwump and Eva Yojimbo show up again I might even be interested in discussing things at EGF like I once did.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:31 pm

Tokpile

Buh?? Sure you're not thinking of somebody else?

Xeroko AFAIK has been RL-busy with things, we chat from time to time.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:13 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Buh?? Sure you're not thinking of somebody else?

Yes. Yes i am.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:06 pm

Ep15 wrote:Misato:
You haven't changed, have you, you player?

Kaji:
Of course I've changed. To live is to change.

RITSUKO:
Homeostasis and transistasis.

Misato:
What are those?

RITSUKO:
One is a force for the status quo, and the other's a force for change.
A living thing is something that has both of these conflicting qualities.

And really, that's what this all boils down to. The forum is a living, evolving state of being. New people come and go, old guard sticks around stubbornly or fades away, and as the composition of the forum changes so it's overall mood should surely be expected to change over time. We have a certain culture and traditions, a history and even almost a mythology at times, but moping around about how it's just not the same as it used to be doesn't do any good.

Essentially it boils down to this: either adapt to the way it is now or be a force for reinvigorating the parts of the past you feel should be maintained. Whining about it accomplishes nothing.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:12 pm

"Nothing gold can stay," as they say.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:18 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I'm slipping into silliness again, so i'll say this.
Mugwump, Yojimbo, LiLi, OoOoOoO, Xeroko, symbv, and shin-seiki, please come back.

I miss a lot of those people too, but many of them have been gone for years. Once you reach a certain length of absence, people just don't come back. Instead of pining over how awesome this place would be if they returned, just try to remember how awesome those people were back in the day when they were here.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:26 am

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I'd be more than happy to comment and debate on films in a more intellectual manner, it's just that I haven't seen most the films you're been reviewing Oz. It's hard to have meaningful discussion on films you're never seen before let alone films that you didn't even know existed until your post mentions them.

I admit that my recent selection of films must have been off-putting for others, but you know, Trajan, I could say something similar to you too. I have long hoped that you would watch films that at least once in a while you would watch a film that I would have something to say about. The films I remember you posting about have either been old classics that have already been discussed so much that there is not much left to say about them or new films that I am not particularly interested in.

I began to watch only less known Japanese films when the film discussion died and I figured that I could just watch anything I please since there is no one to talk to anyway (apart from Xard who listens to my ramblings on Japanese cinema without a complaint :lol:). At one point I even stopped posting in this thread even if the few films I watched happened to be popular and known enough for the remaining film thread posters.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Essentially it boils down to this: either adapt to the way it is now or be a force for reinvigorating the parts of the past you feel should be maintained. Whining about it accomplishes nothing.

I am very well aware of the fact that EGF won't return to what it was and that writing about it will not change anything, but I don't think it harms anyone if I took this thread as a chance to reflect on the good old days. What pwhodges wrote in response to Xard's post should have had enough weight and authority to end the discussion, but I believe I should voice my feelings on the changes that I have not properly expressed before. I don't think that is something worth calling a stop to - especially given how Sorrow and I came to a peaceful conclusion without causing a ruckus.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:33 pm

I feel like one of the biggest ways EGF changed is the increasing fractionation of the user base into cliques. There are certain sub-groups that assemble off-site, sometimes into extremely (like, hidden and invite-only) exclusive groups. I wished for EGF to be a community, but it's really just a high school. Probably always was, but the effect is really marked when drama is constantly filtering in from one of however fucking many behind-closed-doors Skype groups there are now. (I have no idea, since I was never invited to a single one. "No Reichu Allowed!")
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:48 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Bagheera ... Or get a room?

No. Baggy-kun is mine. All mine.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:04 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:No. Baggy-kun is mine. All mine.

Yes. I want quality enemies, and you are the cream of the crop!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:05 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:it's really just a high school.
I hadn't thought of it like that, but you're absolutely correct. It was apparent early on there were people discussing Evageeks affairs in private and in groups, not just a two person conversation. It's not hard to imagine they discuss the members they're not fond of.

I actually got accused of deepening and encouraging cliquey behaviour myself, though a lot of it was already evident from my first week here who was fond of who, who will back who, and who loves to hate so-and-so. Just see above me.

I'd invite you to my own group Reichu, but I don't have one and have a suspicion that you wouldn't like to join even if there were. It was never meant to be, you see.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:21 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:It was apparent early on there were people discussing Evageeks affairs in private and in groups, not just a two person conversation. It's not hard to imagine they discuss the members they're not fond of.

I'm not guiltless of such behavior, myself... but, on the other hand, the places where I vent about the people who frustrate me aren't specially designed to lock out the people who are being discussed. Hypothetically, anyone could go to the IRC channels I use, and they wouldn't get kicked out if they don't go out of their way to be a dick. So there is that, at least.

I'd invite you to my own group Reichu, but I don't have one and have a suspicion that you wouldn't like to join even if there were. It was never meant to be, you see.

Well, you can always just go into #egf; I tend to be there nowadays.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:28 pm

I wonder if that other Eva fan forum going down has something to do with the variety of newer members we’ve been getting as well. There not being as many forums to choose from could effect the sort of traffic and interests we see gather here.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I feel like one of the biggest ways EGF changed is the increasing fractionation of the user base into cliques. There are certain sub-groups that assemble off-site, sometimes into extremely (like, hidden and invite-only) exclusive groups. I wished for EGF to be a community, but it's really just a high school. Probably always was, but the effect is really marked when drama is constantly filtering in from one of however fucking many behind-closed-doors Skype groups there are now.

These Skype groups only exist because there's so much that's not allowed to be said on EGF -- not just bitching about people but even things as minor as being too "chit-chatty". When people start to like each other and chitchat is not allowed, it has to take place somewhere else, and the only reason people are Skypeing with other people from the forum is because the forum was enough of a community in the first place that they were able to develop enough of a connection with those people to want to talk with them like that. These Skype groups are evidence of something good, not something bad.

If it's like high school, it's the best fucking high school in the world. I wish I had gone to a high school this awesome. (And I went to a pretty awesome high school.)
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:47 pm

I allowed the QC forums to become more chatty than is allowed here, and IRC and Skype groups have not formed - or at least only at the level of being a good way to arrange face-to-face visits and meetups.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:48 pm

Skyping lets us communicate in more of a "chatty" way that isn't allowed on the forums. We can just hang out and shoot the shit about whatever random things we want without worrying about quality or if it provides something to the forum. I mirror Monk's opinion; offsite communication is a good thing in this case.

Sure, exclusion from a group sucks, but people always have closer friends than others.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:02 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:These Skype groups are evidence of something good, not something bad.

Everything comes with a price, and I'm fairly certain they come with one as well.

Nuclear Lunchbox wrote:Sure, exclusion from a group sucks, but people always have closer friends than others.

These groups are THAT exclusive? How did this thing even start in the first place if that was always so?

And it certainly does suck, especially if you (like myself) have to hear about said groups constantly and know for a fact that people are talking dirt about you there. Then you can never look at anyone who partakes in that group the same ever again; its participants are ruined forever. This includes more EGF members than I care to list, honestly. It gets a bit tiresome being around lots of people whom I know relish the opportunity to not be around me. Probably one of the reasons I'm getting disenfranchised with this place.

Cliques and exclusion and talking behind backs. Oh, public school, I never missed you.
Last edited by Reichu on Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:09 pm

Consider how we feel about the discussions you have backstage, then. I know for a fact that a lot of people with access to the place deeply dislike me, but I have no way of knowing who (and thanks to Las Vegas rules have no hope of ever finding out). It's the same thing, only these people have power over me, or at least my participation in the forums.

And I'd be happy to include you in any chat I was a part of if you actually wanted to talk to me, but I'm fairly sure you don't. But FWIW I've only seen you specifically badmouthed in one, and it so disgusted me that I quit the chat (after raging at the one who made the comment for a good half hour or so). It disintegrated shortly thereafter, reformed, and fell apart again within ten hours. I wanted no part of what came next, so I don't know what they're doing now.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:11 pm

@Reichu: The Skype group that I'm currently part of started because there were a few of us on the forums that appreciated our forum interactions, so we started having one-on-one skype chats-- and then because we were mutually friendly with other posters that were doing the same thing with regards to getting together off-site, we formed a group chat so that we could all chitchat with one another.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:18 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Sure, exclusion from a group sucks, but people always have closer friends than others.
I'm not here to lament my own exclusion. I personally don't care. But I doubt you could honestly say that they aren't used to vent and express dislike of other members. It does create friction, it causes other members who might not have a personal issue to view others in a negative light that others express, and creates the cliquey behaviour everyone seems to dislike so much.

Cliques aren't just about having a shared and open interest within a group, they're about excluding others who don't fit. Often creating an "us and them" mentality.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:If it's like high school, it's the best fucking high school in the world. I wish I had gone to a high school this awesome. (And I went to a pretty awesome high school.)
I saw a comment you made about your secondary school days, and I remember thinking to myself "my school days were never that relaxed". I fail to see how this could be even better than whatever I read back then about your actual school.

This place is full of people constantly disagreeing; even disagreeing on when it's okay to disagree. A bit of chit chat about their lives in the off-topic, but mostly disagreements.
Last edited by Sorrow on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”