What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:27 am

View Original PostDataprime wrote:While we are on the topic, What did you all think of the X-Files movies

Absolutely love fight the future. Love it!
people have bitched that it was just a extended episode. THAT'S FINE WITH ME.
Better than It aiming to big and different and not feeling like the show you know and love.

I need to revsist I want to believe I don't recall much, but I think I liked it to a extent.
I saw It before I watched the entire or even majority of the series.

Anyone who is a fan of the X files I impore your to watch fringe it's amazing.
Last edited by movieartman on Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:14 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I thought X-Files was decent up through about season 5. It had a good mix of conspiracy episodes and standalones (these also being a good mix of mystery, horror, and comedy) that kept me entertained right up until they pulled a switcheroo on the main cast and then I simply could not give a shit. Without that Dana/Fox chemistry it just wasn't fun.

The T-1000 never even shanked anybody.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:53 am

Just finished the final season of THE KILLING on Netflix.

After essentially "Killing" all goodwill I had built up for the show at the end of the first season I decided to finish the whole series now that it's all available on Netflix complete with a new final season. I gotta say the show really picks up in it's last two seasons to become something really special. Yeah, the second season is still a bit of a dud because it's the second half of the Rosie Larson case (it's a solid narrative but should've taken one season since the amount of red herrings they had to add to keep the story going for 26 episodes made Linden & Holder look like morons).

The third season really picks things up with a more present case - someone's killing off homeless street kids & his getting away with it because no one looks for them - & some great new additions to the cast. Peter Sarsgaard is the best of the bunch with a whole storyline about him on death row. It's a solid season that moves along at a better pace then the first two.

The fourth season though was the sweet spot. Netflix paid for the show once AMC dropped it (why won't The Walking Dead die) & gave the series a final 6 episode season to close off all the stories. Did they ever! The fourth season is a real masterpiece! Partially what helps it work is not having to stick to TV regulations - words like "fuck" can be used & it really makes everything feel less artificial - & by having a shortened season they can't screw around with silly red herrings & instead focus solely on the A storyline. The last few episodes - & the series finale directed by the great Jonathan Demme - are superb!

Mirielle Enos & Joel Kinnaman are excellent in the lead roles & I recommend people give the show a try. You could probably skip the first two seasons if you want cause it's a relatively self-contained narrative & go straight to the meat of season 3 & 4 without missing much. But I'd recommend the show! It's not a fun watch per se - it's dark, rainy & really makes Seattle look like the worst place on Earth - but it's got real filmmaking behind it, great acting & some adult storytelling.

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:21 am

I'm alternating between Marvel Disk Wars: The Avengers and WataMote.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:17 pm

Well I just finished the latest season of 24. What a fantastic finale! I can only hope the creators can greenlight a season 10.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

kuzronk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kuzronk » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:13 am

Kill Bill Vol.2 (2004)
Not as good as the first volume though.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:13 am

24 SEASON 2__
- this............ this might be the best season of television i have ever watched (discounting the anime neon genesis evangelion)
SPOILER: Show
- OHFUCK jack just fucking murdered a witness in the interview room! awesome

- the scene were palmer agrees to pardon nina for her murdering jack in the future, is soul shattering, best scene of the series so far (im only on the 1st episode of s3)

- dennis haysbert is now rivaling idris elba as my favorite black actor (sorry denzel), elba is possible my favorite male actor period so thats saying something
- George Mason & Xander Berkley, I Salute you Sir! holy shit i did not see that character turn happening, did any of you think in season1 when jack tased him, that he would get the 2nd most emotional scene of season 2, omg the scene with his kid... i have aways liked berkley but damn he just brought it up to a wholenother level man.
the way he just atccepts his fate is brutal, he knows he was being a coward, and this is his punishment, he understands this and doesn't fight it, but he redeems himself.

- jesus christ almighty!, kim really needs to just stop existing at this point, it is not possible for a real human being to have as bad luck as she has
- SHERRY FUCKING PALMER, this bitch is on my fictional shit list for life
- hmmm they left the lynne situation unresolved, and the parties involved get away scott free
- really? really?
in the first ep of s3 (which takes place 3 years later), they said that the assassination attempt during the finale of s2 was resolved and the villains brought to justice? really? where not going to get to see that, that kinda sucks

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:22 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- really? really?
in the first ep of s3 (which takes place 3 years later), they said that the assassination attempt during the finale of s2 was resolved and the villains brought to justice? really? where not going to get to see that, that kinda sucks

Season 4 dude. Questions will be answered.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:39 pm

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Season 4 dude. Questions will be answered.

Awesome! Thanks for the heads up.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:14 pm

So, these are the non-anime TV shows I'm currently watching. The live action shows are all comedies at the moment, though I do plan on watching True Detective and House of Cards.

Shows I'm caught up with:

Steven Universe - This is probably the closest thing to an anime on this list. There are little references to anime here and there and you can tell that the Crystal Gems are meant to be kind of like magical girls, except they're hundred+ year old aliens. One episode is titled Indirect Kiss, which any anime fan knows is a common trope in romance stories. My favorite reference is when Pearl charges at her holo-duelist partner in episode 16 (Steven the Swordfighter). It's identical to the charge that Utena makes at her opponents during duels for Anthy. It's a short little visual reference, but I really liked it. And when Gems die, they become monsters, like Puella Magis from Madoka Magica. Yeah, it's a very mahou shoujo-y cartoon, except that the main character is a joyful preteen boy. I also love the aesthetics. It's apparent that most of the Gem-related exotic locations they visit were once majestic structures in the past, but are now crumbling and abandoned, because of some disaster that happened before Steven was born (possibly centuries or even millennia ago). What I like about Steven Universe is that it has heart, it can get sentimental, but it doesn't try to be a tearjerker at the same time. The gems and their world are very interesting and the visual style is cool. Also, the monsters can be turned into Pokemon if you beat them up. So, yeah, it's a fun American cartoon that draws inspiration from anime and manga, mostly from the mahou shojou genre. If you're into that kind of stuff, check it out. It's in the middle of its first season at the moment.

Clarence - A fun lighthearted cartoon. I find the self-contained episodic format to fit the show's tone and style. Nothing too serious, just a group of kids going on adventures in their little suburban town and sometimes beyond.

Adventure Time and Regular Show - It's been about three or four years since I started watching them and I still love them as much as I did back then. Probably even more so.

Teen Titans GO! - Better than the anime-inspired original show.

MLP: Friendship is Magic - An amusing show that suffers from its own fan base. Some might be discouraged from watching this because of the "bronies," but I just think it's an amusing cartoon. None of that stereotypical bullcrap you usually find in entertainment aimed at young girls, most likely thanks to the creator, Lauren Faust, who worked on Powerpuff Girls and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Archer - I think the first four seasons were better than this fifth one. I don't know if changing things up was the best thing to do, but I suppose keeping the same setting and doing the same thing over again would make it stagnant and boring.

Venture Bros - My favorite TV show of all-time.

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia - Hilarious. Some people have Friends or How I Met Your Mother or Big Bang Theory, I have Sunny. The Gang is a better group of characters than any of the people on those other shows. I'm not looking for people who I can laugh with and relate to. I like this because I can laugh at the characters and the stupidly insane shit they get into. They aren't good people and none of them are very intelligent. And that's why I love these guys.

Louie - A struggling comedian living in New York juggles raising kids, working as a funny man and existing in a sick, sad world in a weird and random universe. This is less a comedy now and kind of like Woody Allen-inspired short fiction, with continuity being secondary to the individual episodes being able to get the author's point across. I still enjoy it, but I think it's at its best when it's being a comedic tragedy, rather than just a drama.

Rick and Morty - I was surprised by this. I didn't expect to enjoy it, especially because Community wasn't really as good after season 2. But it's basically the American animated comedy version of Doctor Who.

South Park - Still going well after all these years. Can't say the same for similar shows.

Also watched Netflix's Bojack Horseman. It's okay, though nothing really insightful and the comedy isn't that strong. Just something for me to watch when I'm bored and/or looking for something that I don't really need to invest too much attention and thought in.

Same goes for The Simpsons, Family Guy and American Dad, which I still watch for some reason.

Shows I'm catching up to:

Parks and Recreation - I'm in the middle of season 2. Won't say much aside from the facts that it's hilarious and that Ron is my favorite character.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:41 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:Parks and Recreation - I'm in the middle of season 2. Won't say much aside from the facts that it's hilarious and that Ron is my favorite character.

Before I saw The Wire, season 3 of Parks & Recreation was my favorite single season of television ever. I'm a big fan of April Ludgate, personally.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:36 pm

Finally started Freaks and Geeks.
It's brilliant.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:37 am

Jim Carrey was fucking amazing on SNL tonight :rofl: It was like his early years on In Living Color.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:54 pm

I've been rewatching Breaking Bad over past two months. I'm enjoying it a lot, and have to sort of marvel at how well plotted and interconnected all the seasons are considering the writers were just sort of winging it most of the time. That said, Season 3 is definitely where the show really picks up. Seasons 1 and 2 are great with some awesome moments ("Grilled" and "Crazy Handful of Nothing" are still two of the best episodes the show ever produced) but it's only after those that the show truly becomes a masterwork.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:01 am

AGENTS OF SHIELD - last 2 episodes where likely the best of the series
THE BLACKLIST - spader is gold
SCORPION - 3rd ep in, simple uncomplicated fun
CROSSING LINES - half way thru the 2nd ep. Good all around great cast.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:04 pm

Walking Dead Season 5 Episode 5 "Self-Help"

uhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuh

"Self-Help"

:butthead: :beavis:

mechashiva
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby mechashiva » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:12 am

Revenge. I'm sort of half-watching it but its fun in its soap-y hysterics.

Same with Scandal, though I can't stand that shutter scene transition or the time-honored "We're going to do something cool and possibly illegal so lets have '70s funk music play over it" but its fun, I suppose.

I'm still on Breaking Bad but I've stopped watching it because Jesse reminds of somebody I know IRL and it makes me kind of sad.

From one of the threads, I've started watching True Detective but I'm only up to ep. 3
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:24 pm

Too Many Cooks. It's one of adult swim's original specials that air late at night. It's about 11 minutes long.

The first time I watched it was actually on adult swim at around midnight or something a few days ago. I turned the TV off after a few minutes of watching and went to sleep. Seemed like it was just going to repeat the theme song to even more parodies of 80's sitcoms, essentially playing the same joke over and over. Yeah, I can understand if you get bored after the first few minutes, I know I did. But after watching the whole thing I'll say that it's pretty funny, especially after the first 4 minutes or so.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Thu Nov 13, 2014 5:48 pm

Lately I've been watching American Horror Story:Freak Show. This season didn't seem all that interesting at first but it's getting better every episode. Its already better than last season (Coven), I'll have to watch the rest to decide if I like it better than Asylum.

I've also been watching the new season of Doctor Who. Sadly it ended last weekend. But the new Doctor has surprised me and I've really enjoyed a lot of the newer episodes. Listen and Kill the Moon were my favorite episodes this season.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:10 am

Started watching Hannibal. Good show.

We already know Hannibal's the guy who killed that one girl. He's the "copy cat killer" of the Minnesota Shrike. I think this little bit of dramatic irony is actually kind of interesting. When the camera shifts to Lecter, we see his face react to Graham dissecting his method of murdering the girl impaled on the antlers out in the fields (True Detective-ish). It's kind of like amusement, or as if he feels that he's receiving praise when Graham describes the efficiency with which the killer acted. His facial expressions are only discernible because we, the viewers, are shown close-ups of him. Otherwise, he's pretty subtle about it.

Return to “Film and Video”