Would Eva be the same without the music?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Bryant
Adam

Would Eva be the same without the music?

•      
  •      

Postby Bryant » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:48 am

I think no, because the music builds incredible amounts of tension in NGE & EoE (RoE don't count because they aren't very good)
Bryant Keitel

Been a fan of Evangelion for 19 years! I hope to continue be a fan till the day I die!

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:50 am

Of course not, Third Impact in EoE would had never got legendary without "Komm Susser Tod"!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:41 am

You could really say that about any popular anime. That it wouldn't be the same without
that particular OST.
Just imagine if Eva used a 'more traditional mecha music' like Gundam or Macross.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:21 am

Not all mecha series have the same music, you know. Zeta Gundam in particular has some fucking awesome tracks that would go really well with Eva.

To consider the inverse: I think most of Eva's soundtrack has so much of an emotional impact specifically because it's Eva's soundtrack. It just wouldn't have the same effect with another anime.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:26 pm

Eva's soundtrack is a huge part of what makes Eva, well, Eva. Losing that wouldn't change some things about the show, but it certainly wouldn't be the same work and there would be elements of the show that would be totally lost to us.

strawhatpatriot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby strawhatpatriot » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:38 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:You could really say that about any popular anime. That it wouldn't be the same without
that particular OST.
Just imagine if Eva used a 'more traditional mecha music' like Gundam or Macross.

This.

By the way, sorry if this is off-topic since I didn't think it warrants a new topic or not, but um, is Tsubasa wo kudasai an original Evangelion song, or is it a classic Japanese folk song? I ask because it's apparently been used in different animes.
Congratulations!

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:04 pm

No, because in any tv show or film, the audio is 50% of the experience. Just try watching NGE with the TV muted. Completely different experience. NGE doesn't necessarily have my favorite anime soundtrack (Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann takes that honor), but even if I could I wouldn't replace NGE's music with TTGL's, because that music wouldn't work for NGE. NGE's soundtrack works perfectly for its themes, and that's the most important thing.
[Redacted]

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:06 am

View Original Poststrawhatpatriot wrote:is Tsubasa wo kudasai an original Evangelion song, or is it a classic Japanese folk song?
The latter.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

strawhatpatriot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby strawhatpatriot » Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:29 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The latter.

Ah okay, thanks.

Anyway, the Rei soundtracks, along with Thanatos, are the most memorable. But The Beast 2, A step forward into terror, Both of you dance like you mean it, Asuka Strikes, and the instrumental versions of the Opening are among some of my favorites.
Congratulations!

eva14
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby eva14 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:45 pm

No.

The opening song itself is what makes the series so memorable even from childhood to 20/30 years later you'll still be able to recognise it, I sure know because it happened to me.

While the score may be somewhat limited at times I can't help but listen a couple of times to A Cruel Angel's Thesis per day (and Fly Me to the Moon -- this song sure has too many different versions lol).
Owner of the Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum Collection (R2 Edt.) and fan of Eva Unit 01!

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:31 pm

The live action sequence in 26' and the playing of Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude is one of my top three moments of the series, and the song is probably the main reason for that.

And in the case of NTE, Ha would probably be about ten times less enjoyable without that fantastic soundtrack.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:23 pm

I'm going to be contrary and say yes, yes it would be the same without the music. At no point does the music do anything to further the plot, and as the manga shows, the story of Eva is one that is quite capable of being told in a visual, non-auditory format.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

ame-drop
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ame-drop » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:59 am

No and i think this applies to all other animes because honestly music make even the shittiest kind of good
and despite having an amazing story like eva the ost played a huge part in making it more amazing

ChamucaRobota
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ChamucaRobota » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:05 am

I don't think Eva could be the same without the soundtrack, although, it can work without it, proof of that is the manga like El Squibbonator said, but they are different media, the elements used to communicate the message are diverse as well, and have different usages. The music causes a whole sensation giving a unique impact, while in the manga it's just your interpretation of what you see and it requires more to transmit specific sensations. Imagine moments without "Marking Time, Waiting for Death", "Do You Love Me?", "Mother Is the First Other" or "A Moment When Tension Breaks", even without "Asuka Strikes!" (that personally I don't like) certainly wouldn't be the same experience.

The music had a huge impact on me to the point where every time that I make trips with my inner self "Borderline Case" plays on my mind. :huh:

About the opening and ending,I'm not sure, probably Eva wouldn't be that memorable (?)

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:42 pm

Would Eva be the same without animation?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:06 pm

A variant of it exists as a manga, so arguably, yes.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

KatsuragiSansa
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby KatsuragiSansa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:25 pm

As long as the new music of choice evoked the same feelings in the listener as the original and it didn't clash with the motion picture in the bg, sure. Why not?

I mean the soundtrack is AMAZING and all, but since it's about making the viewer feel things, if it's different but still beautiful and conveys the same meaning... *shrugs* My point here is answering with a YES is not an insult to the GREAT NGE soundtrack, just an ugly truth.

Now, if we talk about "the same" in the very strict sense of the word... then no because the music is one of the many elements that makes NGE as we know it (that being the operative phrase) and, thus, changing it would technically make it a different show... but you get what I mean. None of the original meaning and awesomeness would be lost if the new soundtrack was as good and were to reflect the same emotions.

Were we talking about an Evangelion OPERA, then I might say no.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:06 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:A variant of it exists as a manga, so arguably, yes.

I would counter that by stating that it is different because it’s a manga. Large portions of NGE, especially the last chunk of both the TV series and EoE, utilize the fact that the film is being presented in motion-picture format on a screen of some sort. You will never get something like the live-action dream scene in the manga, or the use on non-diegetic on-screen titles as representations of voiceless dialogue between mysterious entities and the main character.

But then, we should probably ask if these elements are essential to the identity of Eva. The answer could be “not really.” While these things might be essential to Hideki Anno’s style of filmmaking, a piece of Eva has branched off into various manga interpretations and TV animations that range from the more traditional Eva tone like Yoshiyuki Sadamoto’s manga to the weird and off-the-wall nonsense that is Eva@School or that Manga where Shinji and Kaworu solve crime mysteries together.

But remember that the original question is “Would this be the same?” The answer is clearly “no.” But at the same time, it can be argued that the differences between certain Eva materials and the original show don’t make any them less Eva by nature. After all, part of the comedic nature of Eva@School is the fact that these are uniquely and specifically Evangelion characters. It’s the fact that Unit 01 is now a kid-sized school jock and not physically embodying Yui Ikari that makes it humorous to watch. To isolate it from it’s identity as Eva would be to take away that intended humor.

strawhatpatriot
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby strawhatpatriot » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:39 pm

I noticed that there are two versions of Tsubasa Wo Kudasai in Evangelion.

You have this one, in which the first chorus is a solo. It was used in the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKDaCckEt6M

And I noticed that you have the one where the first chorus automatically features the children:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ihz79t2Z0

What's up wit dat?
Congratulations!

kuzronk
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kuzronk » Sat Nov 08, 2014 4:32 am

It would be the same for the most part in NGE but EOE would feel strange without songs such as Komm, süsser Tod.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”