Do you live up to stereotypes of your area?

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:45 pm

I live in Los Angeles, so I've got my fair share of stereotypes swirling around me-- but not that many apply, I think. I'm not really your typical LA person.

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:beg the question

:rageface:

PG 134
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PG 134 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:48 pm

I don't get drunk every night nor do I use drugs. I have a job and am not on state/federal aid. My bank account is not as low as the many receipts of others show from the ATM where I work. Amazing how many people leave their ATM receipts on the ground inside. I don't have a criminal record nor any tickets as of this moment. I'd say I do not fit in at all with the locals of this town. I suppose those are all things to be happy about though.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:50 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:This does beg the question: how many stereotypes do you (the average EvaGeek reader) find yourself fitting in regards to your local area?

Local area i have a few but im gonna go by race as i find myself fitting into loads XD
Well seeing as how im half Japanese and then 1/4 american and british i would say i fit into the american youth stereotype of calling literally everyone dude, i adore tea and i love anime, i rarely get into direct confrontations usually if i want to insult someone it will be passive aggressive (another british stereotype) and i find myself saying "oi!" a lot.
Though rice can go fuck off, god i hate rice, stereotype denied

Oh look im the teamwork building angel now.
Last edited by Rosenakahara on Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Well, as an intellectual living in Oxford and working in Oxford University, who went to boarding school and university in Oxford, and who talks perfect BBC English (I even worked at the BBC for a time), I have been accused of defining a stereotype.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Do you live up to stereotypes of your area?

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:54 pm

I just realized I started what is basically a whole new thread in Moonwalker, so: of the stereotypes that cover the area you live, how many of them do you live up to?

For instance (being a Texan), I'm a gun-owner, do know how to ride a horse, have a drawl (when I'm not looking), drive a pick-up (for work, but it counts!), and hunt.

Where do you fall in your area? What stereotypes do you defy? Answer! I demand it!
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:56 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Well, as an intellectual living in Oxford and working in Oxford University, who went to boarding school and university in Oxford, and who talks perfect BBC English (I even worked at the BBC for a time), I have been accused of defining a stereotype.
I was going to mention you as being a person who is a living stereotype of their area, but didn't want to seem rude - you said it yourself, though.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:03 pm

Finns drink the most coffee in the world, but I don't drink it at all. There also seems to be an image of Finns as heavy drinkers, but I do not drink alcohol at all. I hate sauna and I don't consider myself depressed. But the one thing that is spot-on is that I am introverted and not talkative at all (except if I am with a friend who has similar hobbies).
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:04 pm

I do not fit into any stereotype that I could think of pertaining to my post code or my entire country.

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:and hunt.
This upsets me, immensely.
Last edited by Sorrow on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:05 pm

I own several plaid flannel jackets, I drink a lot of beer, I absolutely love maple syrup, I apologize a lot, I often catch myself saying 'eh' and at one point when I was younger I even had a mullet.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:06 pm

We have a big hunting, drinking and sports watching community.

I am none of those things.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:10 pm

Kazuki_Fuse, I dub thee the Spirit of Canada. May you shine in the darkest of Yukon nights.

:asuka_thumbsup:

Beer drinking, yes: I drink Shiner Bock. And tequila. Because of course....
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Copied from other thread:
Though rice can go fuck off, god i hate rice, stereotype denied

Also i really don't like football/soccer, its not fun yet everyone else wont shut up about it.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:37 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Finns drink the most coffee in the world, but I don't drink it at all. There also seems to be an image of Finns as heavy drinkers, but I do not drink alcohol at all.

^100% same here.

View Original PostOz wrote:I hate sauna

Reported
Seriously though, I'm not a huge fan of sauna either.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:45 pm

Was never a fan of football and the only football matches I try and watch are the world cup ones.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:49 pm

Giji, Oz: You don't like the sauna!? Turn in your Finn cards. No, no arguing. Just hand them over!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:18 pm

I don't even know what my "area" is (Connecticut, Florida, or North Carolina), nor the stereotypes for there. Though I'd tend to imagine not.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:22 pm

I live in a rule area where every house has a pick-up truck on cinder blocks propped up in the front lawn covered in the same tall grass that the foxes hunt in. I’m probably the only one within the county that has deeps interests, hobbies, and professions in the things that I do.

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:26 pm

Living close to the Mexican border.

Drinks tequila - nope
Eats tacos - yes
Wears sombrero - nope
Mustache - nope
Favorite cartoon character is speedy Gonzales - nope
Drinks corona/tecate - nope
Best friend in high school named Jose - yes
Has a family member named Maria - nope (not that I know of)
Beans as side dish with every meal - nope
Uses mayo jar for Kool-aid - yes.
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:28 pm

I live in Los Angeles. The majority of my wardrobe is black, I know people in "the industry", and traffic is a perfectly acceptable excuse for me not to leave the house. :lol:

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:53 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Finns drink the most coffee in the world, but I don't drink it at all. There also seems to be an image of Finns as heavy drinkers, but I do not drink alcohol at all. I hate sauna and I don't consider myself depressed. But the one thing that is spot-on is that I am introverted and not talkative at all (except if I am with a friend who has similar hobbies).

Seems accurate.

For me, let's see...

We're coffee obsessed people but I drink little coffee and mostly only hipster lattes in fancy cafes. I don't think my coffee consumption reflects well (or at all) finnish stereotype - I prefer tea by far to begin with.

I'm not really frequent drinker but I can hit alcohol without qualms and have pretty good drinking stamina when it comes to that. I by far prefer beer snobism and such "culinary" side of alcohol consumption though - binge drinking I can partake in if I have to but it's not something I enjoy much. "Drinking in order to get drunk" has never been high on my list of priorities and I really don't get the common finnish male obsession with just getting seriously buzzed as goal in itself. So no not sure if I fit the stereotype.

I absolutely love sauna, the greatest invention combining socializing, washing and intolerable heat ever. So on this point I'm 100% stereotype.

I have few qualms with nudity per se and nipples are cool and a-ok on television. There's no necessary connection here to eroticism

My personality type is (based on tests) introverted but I'm not really stereotypical cannot-get-shit-said finn as is probably all too obvious for members here. I'm not really strongly introverted either.

Like most finns and, say, Japanese I do like silence and feel no awkwardness automatically when flow of small talk chokes. I think this is one of those finnish stereotypes that are actually quite commonly true for us.

I wouldn't say I'm depressed though definetly stressed from Earth to lunar orbit as of late.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”