Currently playing 4: Guns of the Patriots

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:05 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:On a related note, would anyone recommend Shinji Mikami's most recent game, The Evil Within?

I gave it a 6.5/10, the game was somewhat fun, but I still wouldn't recommend it.

There were several problems with EW:
-Annoying camera controls.
-Melee combat was awful.
-Like Rosena said: wonderful horror at first, but then it tried so hard to be RE4.
-Way too many shooting sections.
-AI was terrible at certain parts of the game.
-Characters were bland.
-Some VA's were bad.
-Some character/weapon upgrades seemed pointless.
-Unanswered questions and the ending.

There was a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it was wasted.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:49 am

I've loved each of RE, RE2, RE3, CV, RE0, RE4, RE5, and RE6 at different times and to great intensities. They each offer something different that I appreciate. I've also been through periods of hating some of them, but then I've wound up loving them most of all later.

My opinion of RE6 alone went through a pretty hilarious rollercoaster over the long term, but then it ended at a permanent high right after the deepest low. Amazingly, it was RE:Revelations that reignited my love for RE6 in a big way, as playing through that game left me aching for the fun dodges and sliding of RE6. I've never looked back since.

Yeah, sure, RE6 doesn't have the same atmosphere -- but neither does Revelations for that matter. It's the same game atmosphere-wise as Leon's campaign in 6 but without the fun mechanics to make up for it.

When I want atmosphere, I go primarily for the old-style games -- RE0 especially as of late. I seem to have made a habit of playing the shit out of that thing each summer.

What keeps me coming back to RE4/5/6 is the gameplay, Mercenaries Mode in particular. There's something just so fun about shooting people in the face then punching or kicking them and their allies away. Of these games the only one whose campaign I've actually replayed for fun is 4 -- as recently as just under a year ago. I own so many versions of RE4 it's crazy, and I've also re-bought 5 and 6 on PC so I can take the experience with me traveling on my laptop.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:47 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:What entries from the series would you say are better than RE4?
Resident Evil and Resident Evil 2 are incredible games. They each have something the other lacks, and so I couldn't choose between them, though the remake on the Gamecube is probably the best experience you could have from the classic style. 0 introduced some brilliant elements that, shamefully, weren't used again (namely the ability to leave an item on the floor and managing two characters), 3 has some of the best jump scares, given that the Nemesis was a genuine threat to be around, and Code Veronica may not be the best classic Resident Evil, but probably offers the most replay ability.

It seems elitist to consider all of the games with the classic gameplay as better than the new style, but it really is the truth. Surprisingly though, I wouldn't consider Resident Evil 4 to be the peak of the third person style; I think that would be Revelations. I didn't expect much from the game, and really got it out of nothing more than boredom, but it is a really great experience of blending the two kinds of Resident Evils together. The main story mode is a bit better than 4[s]---[/s]though it never matches the brilliance of the village and castle sections of 4[s]---[/s]it remains consistently enjoyable until the end. What really elevated it for me though was the Raid Mode co-op. I'd advise Capcom to make a stand alone game out of this mode, even if the result is nothing more than a cult game, you can bet a lot of hours will be sunk into it. For perspective, there are only twenty very short levels and one longish level, and I met people who had spent over 800 hours playing it within the first few months of release on 360.

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:It's the same game atmosphere-wise as Leon's campaign in 6 but without the fun mechanics to make up for it.
I disagree, the mechanics of 6 weren't fun, they were simply awful. Revelations is vastly superior and manages to have moments of genuine creepiness - though, not many. If 6 had been like Leon's (or Ada's) campaign all the way through, then it would have been an okay game, but still not have even compared to 4. What could have been a 6/10 game, ended up more like a 3.

I may as well mention 5 since I've mentioned all the others. Co-op ruined the game, mostly, but the moment you really start to wonder why on Earth you're even bothering to play it, is when you're on the back of the truck with mounted turrets, shooting dynamite wielding men off of motorcycles. Still, better than 6, and Mercenaries was quite fun getting SS ranks with a partner.
Last edited by Sorrow on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Shinoyami65 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:02 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:Agreed.
On a related note, would anyone recommend Shinji Mikami's most recent game, The Evil Within?

It's apparently not very good, lacking any real identity of its own and being very generic.

If you want survival horror, I'd highly recommend Alien: Isolation.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:56 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:If you want survival horror, I'd highly recommend Alien: Isolation.

Also recommended.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:20 pm

I've lately gotten into playing these online games from a group called Molleindustria. It's... pretty interesting, to say the least.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:36 pm

^ Yeah, they certainly are.

Guess I'll pass on The Evil Within then. I'll check out Alien: Isolation. I think I'll also get the RE collection on the PS3, just for 0-3.

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:I personally still prefer sonic adventure DX but 2 is still a really good game, my only problem with 2 is it has not aged well at all.........

I think I prefer 2 over DX mostly because of the story. They've both aged poorly, which must be why I love them.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:17 pm

Adventure 2 has the best story if any Sonic game, imo. No other Sonic game actually inspired pathos in me. Adventure 2, in spite, or perhaps because of, all the cheese and melodrama, actually made me feel for Gerald, Maria, and Shadow.

And Rouge made me a furry.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:28 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:And Rouge made me a furry.

Sega knew exactly what they were doing when they made rouge and i freaking love them for it.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:33 pm

With the exception of a few levels like Radical Highway[s:2jklkbkh]---[/s:2jklkbkh]clearly level naming isn't a reason to like the games[s:2jklkbkh]---[/s:2jklkbkh]Adventure 1 was better. Though, the best feature of both games were the Chao; considering Adventure 2 had a lot more to do with them, and a lot more reason to play levels for them, Adventure 2 is the better game - thanks to a silly side-game.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:06 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Adventure 2 has the best story if any Sonic game, imo. No other Sonic game actually inspired pathos in me. Adventure 2, in spite, or perhaps because of, all the cheese and melodrama, actually made me feel for Gerald, Maria, and Shadow.

And Rouge made me a furry.

Are you really 81-years-old? -o-;

The two Adventure games were what made me a fan of Sonic. I enjoyed the Gameboy Advance games and watching Sonic X Saturday mornings on WB. I never really got into the games that came before Adventure 1 or after Sonic Heroes. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) kinda killed it for me. Nearly every game since has just been pissing on the corpse.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:25 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:Are you really 81-years-old? -o-;

I'm actually 9, and married to Muhammad.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:26 am

^ :scanners_head:

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dima » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:44 am

Just finished Live A Live (released in 1994 from Square for SNES).

Man what a game it was! I never expected such an old game to entertain me so much. Glad i played it. Game is an RPG that covers 7 different characters, every one with his own personal story in different eras. Every chapter was amazing. When i finished a chapter before going to the next i was telling to myself ''this chapter seems boring no way it's better than the previous'' but every time i was wrong. Every chapter is amazing in it's own way and every chapter feels like a complete different game with the exception of the battle system. After you finish all the chapters a new character/story will appear and from that point it's a no turning back until the finale.

Last chapter had some major twists, i almost lost my shit. Definitely never saw it coming.

Also music rocks in this game. Of course cause it's composed by the amazing Yoko.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:11 am

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:Are you really 81-years-old?
View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:I'm actually 9,

Such a square...

(OK, I'll take my coat.)
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:47 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Such a square...

(OK, I'll take my coat.)

That made me laugh harder than it should have.
/hj

Ænimal
Banned

Postby Ænimal » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:30 am

godsdamned Wasteland 2...

i told myself i would beat this game and gain back the precious 30 gigs of memory it devoured

...2 weeks ago

i'm still not even close to being done

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:34 pm

So, in the past month, I've put some effort into getting through some games:

• Last of Us
  • Parasite Eve
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Ico
I also replayed Castle Crashers and have put a little bit of time into Metroid 2 on Game Boy, but the subtraction of color really makes the exploration and navigation extremely difficult.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:37 pm

What are your thoughts on Shadow of the Colossus and Ico?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:08 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:What are your thoughts on Shadow of the Colossus and Ico?

Shadow of the Colossus:

It's funny, the last several games I've played have all had horse riding (Beyond: 2 Souls, Last of Us, Shadow of the Colossus), and though I realize camera and controls have improved in this generation of consoles, I'm still amused that the horse riding was better in the two games that didn't even feature it as a core mechanic.

I thought it was interesting how 90% of the challenge isn't even in fighting the colossus. It's about just getting to somewhere where you can stab it. It makes a few of them, like the last one in particular, feel a little underwhelming.

It was definitely very interesting how the game actually made you feel sad for the colossi that you had slain.

SPOILER: Show
I also really liked how the ending of Colossus felt like a prequel to Ico

Ico:

I got Ico when it first came out. For whatever reason, I just never got very far, and then I watched my roommate play through most of it. But that was 12 years ago, so I forgot most of it. It was still a lot of fun like I remember, but man, some puzzles just drove me nuts. Like, last night I thought I was going to lose my fucking mind. I was trying to find a switch or something to drop a bridge, and OH, JUST SWING AND KICK IT DOWN, NO BIG DEAL. I spent an hour running around in that area trying to find something new to interact with until I was like "Noooo... that couldn't possibly be the solution, that would be way too simple. If hitting it with your sword or exploding a bomb next to it won't drop it, why would jumping into it?" BALLS.

I also did not expect to finish the game last night. I got to the point where I got separated from Yorda, and played a bit further, started looking for a save point, and then was like... damn I think I'm at the end of the game. GUESS I'M NOT GOING TO BED.

SPOILER: Show
I did really like the ending, I just wish I knew what Yorda's final line was.

All in all, I really want to know if Team Ico is ever going to finish The Last Guardian.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”